Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 03:00 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,224,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The thing is, though, anxiety metastacizes in your brain. If you are too anxious to go on walks due to a trauma so you stop going on hikes, you'll be too traumatized to go out after dark, and then shortly too traumatized to be alone or leave the house. You can't give in. You can't change your behaviors, as hard as it is to walk boldly into a situation that will likely give you a panic attack...
I worked in psychiatric for 37 years. I beg to differ with your take on the progression to disaster of that anxiety. I am familiar with the theory you describe for dealing with it. Sounds like you are talking more about a specific phobia, but it's still a theory only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 06:18 PM

17,611 posts, read 22,541,244 times
Msgenerse,
I'm very sorry you both had to endure this terrible ordeal. They are pond scum.

Target practice with pics up of the perpetrators, is a great stress reliever...
Be Safe.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:48 PM

158 posts, read 105,678 times
Thanks for all of the kind responses. Is it just me or are women a LOT more violent today than in the past? Seems as if women are increasingly displaying the kind of thuggish behavior that would normally just be associated with men? Also, my daughter has some autism which certainly doesn't help.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:14 PM

348 posts, read 219,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's sad that women aren't able to enjoy the outdoors in piece.
White knight much?

Old 11-14-2019, 08:16 PM

48,357 posts, read 34,485,139 times
I would say follow her lead for what she needs. We can say be super super supportive and loving, but she may need things to return to normal.

Just listen to her.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2019, 09:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,215,418 times
She should carry pepper spray and learn how to use it.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,732,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Thanks for all of the kind responses. Is it just me or are women a LOT more violent today than in the past? Seems as if women are increasingly displaying the kind of thuggish behavior that would normally just be associated with men? Also, my daughter has some autism which certainly doesn't help.
No, it's not just you.

Used to be, if you were out somewhere that seems dark and dangerous, and saw a group approaching you if they were women - or even if at least ONE of them was a woman - you were pretty safe.

Just seeding a group of men with one woman often kept the peace and cut down on violent behavior.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,304,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Women have always been violent, but it can be overlooked in society and women offenders often don't get the same punishment that male ones do. And men who are victims of domestic violence still have difficulty getting law enforcement to believe or take seriously that their female partner is dangerous. I was once harassed by a woman at a store and when I called the police, they just didn't seem to take it that seriously because it was a female, although they took down a report and confronted her as she left the store. I even video recorded her harassing me with my cell phone and showed it to them.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about this horrible crime.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,732,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Women have always been violent, but it can be overlooked in society and women offenders often don't get the same punishment that male ones do. And men who are victims of domestic violence still have difficulty getting law enforcement to believe or take seriously that their female partner is dangerous. I was once harassed by a woman at a store and when I called the police, they just didn't seem to take it that seriously because it was a female, although they took down a report and confronted her as she left the store. I even video recorded her harassing me with my cell phone and showed it to them.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about this horrible crime.
Before about 40 years ago, there weren't girl gangs. Gang behavior was entirely male.

There have always been aggressive/abusive women, but this idea of girls ganging up and assaulting strangers is new. As far as an American timeline goes.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,785,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Before about 40 years ago, there weren't girl gangs. Gang behavior was entirely male.

There have always been aggressive/abusive women, but this idea of girls ganging up and assaulting strangers is new. As far as an American timeline goes.
While there were not *girl gangs,* girls have participated in gangs since the early 1800s.

https://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c...femalegang.htm

Quote:
However, throughout the latter half of the twentieth century, female gang activity has seen the sharpest increase in participation, especially in comparison to boys. For example, a study found that there had been a, "50 percent increase in serious crimes by teenage gins between 1968 and 1974, compared to a 10 percent increase for boys" (CASA Website). In addition, arrests of girls under 18 for violent crimes rose 393 percent between 1960 and 1978, compared to 82 percent for boys" (CASA Website). Also, compared to 1950, "youth gangs of the 1980's and 1990's are more numerous, more prevalent, and more violent than in the 1950's, probably more than at any time in the country's history" (Miller 263). Now that female participation in gangs and violence is apparently on the rise, and such activity has become increasingly violent, it is important to look at current research that examines this problem and methods of prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting