Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times

Advertisements

Breaking that many bones in one 7 year old is unusual. How did your grandson break a humerus playing basketball?

I've played/coached/parented/watched a lot of kids in a lot of sports, including football and hockey. And while kids do occasionally break bones, it seems that most were from things like playground accidents, moreso than organized sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
You failed to highlight where the poster said to talk to his pediatrician. You also failed to read the many posts that have said to talk to his doctor.
I said I agreed with talking to the doctor. I absolutely do not agree with posters diagnosing nutritional deficiencies and making dietary recommendations. It happens frequently on this parenting forum.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:22 PM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I said I agreed with talking to the doctor. I absolutely do not agree with posters diagnosing nutritional deficiencies and making dietary recommendations. It happens frequently on this parenting forum.
C'mon, when someone says "Perhaps the person has XYZ and could benefit from ABC?" they are not giving a diagnosis, they are making a suggestion that this might be a good thing to ask the doctor about. Which is exactly what the poster you are referring to did.

I for one appreciate suggestions like that.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
My kids do sports. My daughter broke her arm and nose playing baseball. She actually broke her nose playing on Cal Ripken’s field, which had no medical equipment on site. Considering she had no platelets, it was a major injury that required hospitalization and a sports medicine doctor at one of the leading Maryland hospitals. Her oncologist no longer allows her to play sports.

My son plays soccer three seasons a year. He gets bruises, few asthma attacks but that’s about it. He loves the sport.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
C'mon, when someone says "Perhaps the person has XYZ and could benefit from ABC?" they are not giving a diagnosis, they are making a suggestion that this might be a good thing to ask the doctor about. Which is exactly what the poster you are referring to did.

I for one appreciate suggestions like that.
I for one think these suggestions are useless and sometimes dangerous, in that they can keep parents from seeking a doctor's diagnosis. The posters giving the suggestions don't know the kids or their medical diagnosis. People often believe a lot of "Old Wive's Tales" about health and freely give their suggestions about them.

I do not see this poster suggesting the parents asking the doctor about calcium or vitamin D or C deficiency or too much soda is also thought to contribute to weak bones. Nutritional deficiencies are rare in the US. Would like to see a citation about this soda thing and how much is "too much".

Old 11-20-2019, 03:20 PM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
I for one think these suggestions are useless and sometimes dangerous, in that they can keep parents from seeking a doctor's diagnosis. The posters giving the suggestions don't know the kids or their medical diagnosis. People often believe a lot of "Old Wives' Tales" about health and freely give their suggestions about them.

I do not see this poster suggesting the parents asking the doctor about calcium or vitamin D or C deficiency or too much soda is also thought to contribute to weak bones. Nutritional deficiencies are rare in the US. Would like to see a citation about this soda thing and how much is "too much".
In other words, according to you the only acceptable advice regarding health is "See a Doctor!" Perhaps C-D should replace the entire Health & Wellness board with the words: See a Doctor! because any other suggestions might discourage readers from Seeing a Doctor.

Which, if you'll read the post in question again, the poster DID say.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In other words, according to you the only acceptable advice regarding health is "See a Doctor!" Perhaps C-D should replace the entire Health & Wellness board with the words: See a Doctor! because any other suggestions might discourage readers from Seeing a Doctor.

Which, if you'll read the post in question again, the poster DID say.
When did I say that? Please be specific. And yes, for many problems the correct response is "talk to your kid's doctor". And H*ll, I've acknowledged several times that the poster said to talk to the doctor!

The poster did NOT say to ask the doctor about diet issues. S/he just threw it out there, like so many "Parenting" forum posters do. I too suggested asking the doctor, though hopefully the doctor is aware of the issue and will start to investigate without being asked.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:30 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Quote:
Doctor should look into why he's having all these injuries. Parents should ask if doctor does not bring it up.

And heeeere we go! Now there will be a barrage of suggestions of "treatments" from people with no health care background who have never seen the kid. The only part of this post I agree with is the non-bold, and I am a retired pediatric RN.

I wouldn't presume to diagnose. I suggested that this was a matter for the child's parent to bring to the attention of the pediatrician. Nutritional deficiency should be considered, as well as underlying illness.

The OP was asking if the child should be removed from sports. I don't see what good that would do. It's not the sports, it's that this child has four broken bones in 7 years. Sure, you could take him out of sports, but he's still going to go the playground, wrestle with friends, run, trip and fall...he's a kid! Plus you lose the benefits of sports participation.

You have to get to the bottom of why he is having these injuries. Maybe it's just stupid luck, maybe he's a daredevil, or maybe he has a medical issue that needs to be addressed and which could include health habits that need to change.

I've raised five kids, all over 18 now, and there were a total of 3 broken bones among all of them from birth to 18. They were all in sports including soccer, baseball, cross-country, karate, and fencing. The one child that OP is talking about has had more fractures in 7 years than my five kids had combined in their first 18 years.

The board-certified pediatrician that my kids saw, asked, without fail, every year at their checkup, about their dietary habits. She went over and over how many portions of dairy they needed. She routinely tested Vitamin D levels and she put the girls on iron when their periods made them anemic. When my daughter suffered a stress fracture, the doctor made a point of ruling out calcium/vitamin D deficiency as an underlying cause. She obviously took children's nutrition quite seriously.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:19 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Quote:

No, I didn't phrase it that way, but was implied that it could be something like that and specifically stated that a doctor should be consulted. Assuming they are following American Pediatric Guidelines, the doctor will address nutrition. It is literally the first recommendation under "Role of the Pediatrician" in the article by the American Academy of Pediatrics regarding "Optimizing Bone Health in Children."

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...nt/134/4/e1229

Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
No, I didn't phrase it that way, but was implied that it could be something like that and specifically stated that a doctor should be consulted. Assuming they are following American Pediatric Guidelines, the doctor will address nutrition. It is literally the first recommendation under "Role of the Pediatrician" in the article by the American Academy of Pediatrics regarding "Optimizing Bone Health in Children."

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...nt/134/4/e1229
I worked in pediatrics most of my 45 year career. I do not need to be educated by YOU about what pediatrics is. I stand by what I said that nutritional deficiencies are rare in the US. I will add, particularly nutritional deficiencies serious enough to cause multiple fractures are extremely rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting