Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

I think parents are bestowed magical powers when they have a child. There is a Santa--someone is Santa. A parent has magical powers. My sons never heard from me that there wasn't a Santa. I always responded someone is Santa. And besides--there are children living in poverty and often a Santa comes. Shelters have a Santa comes. There is the spirit Santa in most of us. At work we donate to a family in need. We are the Santa. It is not a lie as the title of this post questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 06:17 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,932 times
I wish people would stop bashing Santa. Santa will always live on in spirit. Santa is hope and joy.

I filled in for Santa many years ago in a big department store in Philly. Santa just can't be everywhere..

Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I knew from a very young age like 4 years old that it was impossible to think of Santa as doing all those things realistically. Popular Christmas cartoons would dramatize his life and explain that he had special magical powers. So on the one hand I understood the irrationality of it from a young age, while on the other hand I believed in magic. And so I think I just wanted to believe until I was around 10, even though some kids had stopped believing a year or two earlier.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 PM

I can remember in 2nd grade specifically (ages 7-8) that most kids still believed because I remember our teaching talking to us about Santa. Some kids were asking her specific questions and she would answer like she knew.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
A social worker is spreading around information on social media, that parents should not tell their kids that expensive gifts (Such as I-pads) came from Santa because it makes poor kids feel bad. I don't feel anyone has a right to tell a parent what they can or cannot tell their children regarding Santa and gifts.
I suspect that you are one of the wealthy parents.

My parents were poor. We had zero presents from Santa each year even though my parents "believed" in Santa. We saw a Santa at the church Christmas party and in stores.

Usually we received one Christmas present from our parents. I remember when I was five and six being pretty confused why my neighbors and classmates got huge presents from Santa (one even received a bicycle from Santa) and Santa didn't even stop at our house. I could understand why my classmates and neighbors received many, many Christmas presents from their parents (because their parents must of had better jobs) but how did that effect what Santa gave us (rather did not give us)? And, I knew that my siblings and I were not naughty, so why zero presents from Santa?

So, when we had children they received one nice present from Santa but never the most expensive present or the present that they really wanted. Those presents always came from their parents (Hubby and I). Yes, we were very conscious that children told each other what Santa gave them. We were also very conscious that our children attended a magnet school with a wide range of income levels (from wealthy/upper middle class suburbanites to very poor children from the inner city).

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-07-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,642,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"The Santa lie, is it harmful?"

No, it's not harmful or it shouldn't be. Christmas is Jesus's birthday, that's the meaning. Santa is just the spirit of Christmas, most folks enjoy him too.
Christmas isn't Jesus' birthday though.

It is/was a mass in celebration of the birth of Christ into the world. Not his actual "birthday".

Telling kids about Santa Claus or St. Nicholas or Father Christmas isn't a lie and shouldn't be characterized in that way.

A lie is a deliberate attempt to deceive usually for personal gain or to avoid punishment.

Santa, elves ("a right jolly old elf"), fairies, trolls, giants, monsters, dragons, witches, wizards, etc, etc. are part of the human imagination.

As such they are real.

Young well-meaning parents, please do not model a sad, sterile and joyless worldview to your children that doesn't include magic, imagination, and unknown dimensions away from dreary every day drudgery that life can become without these magical and enchanting companions of the imagination.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Christmas isn't Jesus' birthday though.

It is/was a mass in celebration of the birth of Christ into the world. Not his actual "birthday".

Telling kids about Santa Claus or St. Nicholas or Father Christmas isn't a lie and shouldn't be characterized in that way.

A lie is a deliberate attempt to deceive usually for personal gain or to avoid punishment.

Santa, elves ("a right jolly old elf"), fairies, trolls, giants, monsters, dragons, witches, wizards, etc, etc. are part of the human imagination.

As such they are real.

Young well-meaning parents, please do not model a sad, sterile and joyless worldview to your children that doesn't include magic, imagination, and unknown dimensions away from dreary every day drudgery that life can become without these magical and enchanting companions of the imagination.
Why is it that every Christmas, someone has to come along and "educate" us poor slobs about this? Don't you think we know it by now? We don't know when Jesus' birthday was. People didn't celebrate birthdays then. So why can't it be celebrated on December 25?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why is it that every Christmas, someone has to come along and "educate" us poor slobs about this? Don't you think we know it by now? We don't know when Jesus' birthday was. People didn't celebrate birthdays then. So why can't it be celebrated on December 25?
We don't know the actual date though.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
We don't know the actual date though.
No, we don't. So December 25 is as good as any other.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:30 AM

47 posts, read 19,811 times
Yes ! its super out dated and weird !

I wonder why kids feel entitled to everything in life ?

GEE I KNOW, BECAUSE AN IMAGINARY FAT MAN CAME DOWN THE CHIMNEY AND GAVE THEM ALL THE TOYS THEY WANTED AS A KID

NOW THE GOVERNMENT CAN JUST SUPPLY ME WITH FREE COLLEGE AND FREE HOUSING FOR LIFE !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting