U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM

46,247 posts, read 44,584,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post
As I said in my first post, even water can be deadly if you are drowning in it. My point was that the TV can and should be made into a powerful tool that will only be the friend and never the enemy.

TV should only be used in healthy measures.

All of the media we have access to can be put to good use, there is no such thing as useless information. The media is not to blame, the people who abuse it are.
Well … yeah … that's a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM

763 posts, read 206,586 times
I certainly don’t agree with plopping kids in front of the tv for hours so you don’t have to interact with them. It seems like some parents of kids who don’t watch tv are on this high horse of my kids get no screen time. Part of me thinks ok great but then another part of me hopes they are learning a lot from these parents. My son has learned a few things on tv that I didn’t teach him. When he was 4 he started talking to me about echolocation and how it’s used by dolphins. I was like who told you that and he said I saw it on wild kratts. So if kids are absorbing info like that from shows I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM

4,823 posts, read 1,270,232 times
In earlier times, weren't people criticized for not engaging in physical labor and instead had their nose in a (fiction) book, "daydreaming" all the time?

Limiting screen time, I feel, is the modern equivalent.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Who knows. We live in a culture where in person interaction is constantly encouraged but more and more services and ways of doing things are online: dating, taking classes, no more going to video store-Netflix, Banking. All possible through a screen. But screens are bad!!

Old 12-05-2019, 01:33 PM

46,247 posts, read 44,584,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

All possible through a screen. But screens are bad!!
Not everything adults do is appropriate for kids.

I like TV and am on a screen a large part of my day. But the studies referenced here are just saying that hours and hours isn't good for very young kids.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 480,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Not everything adults do is appropriate for kids.

I like TV and am on a screen a large part of my day. But the studies referenced here are just saying that hours and hours isn't good for very young kids.
Agreed. It's not good because it is a passive activity. Too much sitting and not enough moving. Television spoon feeds information which is less valuable that teaching a child to explore on their own.

It also depends on how literally kids take things. Once when we were crossing the 59th Street Bridge (into Queens), my daughter asked if I could stop the car because she wanted to jump off like on Sesame Street where kids float in the air and meet up to form letters.

I realized I had no idea of how she was interpreting what she saw so I unplugged television.

We had a VHS player for Spot, Little Bear and Madeline tapes. We had tons of arts and crafts supplies to keep her busy.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM

My DH also has the kids watching more tv than I would like. He is with them after school and turns the tv on for 30 to 60 minutes.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 480,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My DH also has the kids watching more tv than I would like. He is with them after school and turns the tv on for 30 to 60 minutes.
Thirty minutes after a day of school as a time to "cool off" before starting homework isn't the worse thing in the world. Sixty minutes is a lot.

We had playdates and activities after school. If not, we had a snack and talked about their day.

I used TV before school. If they were up and dressed in time, they could watch thirty minutes of Arthur before leaving for school.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM

11,053 posts, read 6,757,574 times
I think 30 minutes a day of screen time is fine, they sometimes need to wind down. Moderation is key. Rainy days could be an exception, there is only so much reading and crafts they can do.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:16 PM

14,222 posts, read 9,516,407 times
I don't know what is a good time allowed per day since 30mins is too little to get any use out of the session and 4 hours+ is too much. I think the type of on-screen activity should be managed. My oldest son does reasonably well in school and spends about 3 hours a day after school on the iPad or iPhone before he is timed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or