U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM

751 posts, read 201,729 times

Advertisements

Yes! It’s the same as saying we don’t let our kids eat sugar or juice. That’s fine and great but eventually they will be eating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 PM

16,469 posts, read 18,496,785 times
The basic idea is that screen time is harmful for infants and toddlers and ok in moderation for older kids.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/102774...e-and-reading/

Quote:
under 18 months - avoid use of screens other than for video calls
18 - 24 months - parents who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programmes and watch with their kids
2 to 5 years - limit screen use to one hour a day of high-quality programming and watch with kids to help them understand
designate screen-free times, such as meal times, and rooms - the bedroom for example
Quote:
Dr Hutton's team found those children who spent the most time on electronic devices or watching TV, were more likely to have lower expressive language.

They were also more likely to struggle to name photos of objects - suggesting their brain processing speed is slower.

They were also prone to poor literacy.
Admittedly, more research is needed, but I think we should err on the side of caution.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,673,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The basic idea is that screen time is harmful for infants and toddlers and ok in moderation for older kids.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/102774...e-and-reading/

Admittedly, more research is needed, but I think we should err on the side of caution.
It's the kids who can't ride in a car without watching a movie, or have to watch videos on mom's cell phone while being pushed around the grocery store in a cart, etc, that really get me. They're not in the present moment, observing and interacting with their surrounding environment. They are passively zoned out and that can't be good for brain development.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM

44,124 posts, read 54,206,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yes! It’s the same as saying we don’t let our kids eat sugar or juice. That’s fine and great but eventually they will be eating it.
It's about building habits.
And it does work, btw.
We have zero control over what our kids eat at school, but their teachers report they always get a salad, veggies, and protein.

Yes, they will make their own choices and do their own thing, but sugar is both an acquired taste and addictive substance (the science is all there). Rational, calm, honest discussion with kids about limiting use is worth it.

They still get to eat their Halloween candy and go to birthday parties, but sugar as a special occasion instead of a daily staple is an important public health concept.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 PM

44,124 posts, read 54,206,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The implication is clearly there. "We don't allow any screen time/TV/Whatever." Ok, why? Is the kid allergic to blue light? No. Does the TV run up the electric bill? No. Can the family not afford a TV? Doubtful.

The rationale is because its bad for kids. Therefore, parents that allow their kids access to something harmful, are worse parents than those that don't.

s.
Your deciding to interpret it that way is not the same as people intending on conveying that message.

And again, habits...my kids won't sit and watch tv for long bc passive entertainment bores the crap out of them. Bores me, too. I'd rather be doing than watching someone else do.

Makes it hard to take them to a movie, though...only down side.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:36 PM

I have heard some parents don’t let their kids watch any tv at all. And if there is a screen around they turn the baby or child the other way so they can’t see. To me this seems like very paranoid behavior and if the parent continues to have those fears I don’t see the kid turning out that well either. Tv isn’t poison.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 PM

13,083 posts, read 10,429,478 times
Quote:
I admit I am anxious about my kids watching tv because of how awful people say tv is for kids. Why do I feel this way? Is tv really that terrible?

We recently ordered Disney plus and I think I’m more excited than the kids are. I love those classic Disney movies. How could cuddling on the couch with your sweeties watching these movies be bad?

I’m just so tired of hearing how awful screens are when in reality they are everywhere. I enjoy watching tv, I do it in the evening after kids are in bed. Watching tv is a way to relax but it seems parents get shamed for allowing kids to watch tv. Or you’re just not as good of a parent as someone who doesn’t let their kids have screen time.

Are there studies that show That people who watch less tv went on to be more successful? I see plenty of articles that talk about how it can lead to obesity, adhd etc. I think it’s hard to say oh hey your kid has this issue be used they watch too much tv. When it’s freezing cold outside sometimes the tv is just comforting. Is that so bad as long as you’re watching appropriate shows?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want couch potatoes. My kids love books which makes me happy, they only watch a little in the afternoon and maybe on weekends in the morning. Otherwise there is lots of activities they’re involved in.

I also think it seems worse to allow kids to be on a cell phone watching things as opposed to watching on a tv screen in the living room. Something about the way they just focus on that little screen and pay no attention to anything else.

At any rate why does tv have such a bad rep?
It's not just about what the kids are getting, it's also about what they are missing.

If TV is displacing time necessary for sleep, eating, exercise, or a modest amount of social time, then it has become a problem.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:43 PM

13,083 posts, read 10,429,478 times
Quote:
That is disturbing. I personally put the tv on when my kids are acting wild and in need to get something done. It isn’t for long and sometimes crayons and play dough don’t do the trick.

It seems parents like to judge each other on this. Like seeing kids on phones at restaurants or any public place has become like the equivalent to giving kids sugar or a weapon.

Screens have become such a big part of adult life. So many courses and ways to educate someone are on a screen. We are encouraged to take online courses to learn. How could screens be so helpful for adults and so bad for kids? All about the developing brain I guess.

Computers are also used in some pre schools. How does that work with these studies that screens are bad.
I think screen time can be ok for adults or kids in moderation, but when parents start using their gadgets as "intellectual pacifiers" for their kids rather than reading to them or taking them on a walk, this can become an issue. (BTW, I have the same complaint about teachers that give worksheets instead of actually teaching, FWIW...)

Old 12-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Welp I guess parents and teachers need downtime. Constant interaction can be tiring. Some have more stamina than others. I honestly don’t see what’s wrong with worksheets. Is giving a kid a coloring book lazy now too? Wow high standards on here lol.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:41 PM

46,149 posts, read 44,502,910 times
Quote:

Welp I guess parents and teachers need downtime. Constant interaction can be tiring.
Yeah, of course.

But this is the second thread you've started in this subforum about your need for down time and how it's affecting your kids. In the other thread, you talk about how they are wild and argue with each other and you wanted advice on how to deal with it.

It's a battle parents have faced for ages, and frankly it's one of the hardest parts of parenting - putting your own needs second to the needs of your kids.

You can do what we've all tried (and yes, failed at) over the years: Be a proactive parent when you can, but give yourself permission to just stop them from misbehaving rather than teaching a lesson about it.

Let go of expectations that every single thing on your to-do list will get done. This phase of life is tiring. The laundry can be perfectly folded when your kids are older.

Make sure you and your husband are open with each other and feel like you're both pulling your weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or