Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This marriage isnt going to make it. She had an affair then left him now they are together. Its not his child. This is not a fairy tale. Abandoning this unborn child means that possibly this child will have NO father instead of the 2 she has now. When they get divorced the husband may have to pay for the child but he probably wont want to keep a relationship with the child that isnt his. So this child now has no father. Good men (no matter how poor their decisions up to this point) dont abandon their children.
That's what I think will end up happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
I find it so bizarre that people are telling this man to walk away from his unborn child and pretend she never existed.
Impregnating a woman when she is married to someone else changes the rules. It is the wife and her husband's call on how they want to handle this.

Quote:
This marriage isnt going to make it. She had an affair then left him now they are together. Its not his child. This is not a fairy tale. Abandoning this unborn child means that possibly this child will have NO father instead of the 2 she has now. When they get divorced the husband may have to pay for the child but he probably wont want to keep a relationship with the child that isnt his. So this child now has no father. Good men (no matter how poor their decisions up to this point) dont abandon their children.
Actually had a somewhat similar situation in my family. My grandparents split up and my grandmother got pregnant to someone else. My grandfather agreed to get back together, but refused to raise the baby (my aunt). My great grandmother and great uncle raised my aunt. My grandparents stayed together for awhile, but eventually divorced. This took place in the early 1930s.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 12-10-2019 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 03:10 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Bizarre yes.

Yeah ppl are a skewed lot. Bash deadbeat dads' then tell the bio dad to walk away. Bizarre indeed.
He knowingly cheated with a married woman who already had a child.

He should've walked away months ago before this happened, but he didn't.

The family has reconciled, they don't need any additional pressure while trying to survive this infidelity.

I'm surprised you can't see the difference.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm surprised you can't see the difference.
The wife wasn't thinking about "the family" when she slept with and supposedly planned a future with this guy.

I agree with LO28. It sounds like some people here believe in selective paternity.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:59 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I find it so bizarre that people are telling this man to walk away from his unborn child and pretend she never existed.
It's the best for the child. Not bizarre at all.

Anything else would be selfish.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
She "fell pregnant?"

Interesting way of putting it - absolves you of responsibility (in the wording you chose).

Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
She "fell pregnant?"

Interesting way of putting it - absolves you of responsibility (in the wording you chose).
Not at all. "Fell pregnant" is a Briticism.

It's one of several differences between British and American English. Two countries separated by a common language, as the old saying goes.

Something similar is the way Americans say "Joe is in the hospital" while most British say "Joe is in hospital."

"Fell pregnant" has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting responsibility, it's just a usage difference versus the way we in the US say "got pregnant."

Old 12-10-2019, 05:22 PM

23 posts, read 11,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I disagree with everyone on here. Leave her alone. Let them raise the child. The woman is not worth having anything to do with. She doesn't want anything to do with you. Attend the labor? Are you kidding? She doesn't want you there. Let their family have a chance at success and walk away.

I agree with this 100%.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post

If her husband is willing to raise the child, as his own, let them at it. Offer child support. Do not barge into the hospital, if she invites you to the birth, Ok, but if not, steer clear.
It's HIS child. He has every right to be a part of the baby's life. The child will grow up and want to know who her "real" father is. I think consulting an attorney is the best route.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Not at all. "Fell pregnant" is a Briticism.

It's one of several differences between British and American English. Two countries separated by a common language, as the old saying goes.

Something similar is the way Americans say "Joe is in the hospital" while most British say "Joe is in hospital."

"Fell pregnant" has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting responsibility, it's just a usage difference versus the way we in the US say "got pregnant."
Whether or not it is a saying in Britain or elsewhere, the words have particular meaning.

Women do not "fall pregnant." That's not how it works. It's antiquated language, at least, and extremely irresponsible at most (and language shapes culture, so it's an important detail).

If the OP actually says and thinks she "fell pregnant," it absolves him of responsibility.

The proper, responsible phrase would be: "I got her pregnant." Because that's what happened.

Don't try to take yourself out of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting