Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you will find it unimportant but to me it is an issue. The problem is that my teenage son refuses to wear any presentable clothes. He doesn't wear jeans or regular pants - just sweatpants. I bought him a couple of really nice winter jackets that I showed him online prior to buying and he said they are fine. Now he doesn't wear them - just layers some hoodies instead. I gave away tons of nice, brand name (and brand new) clothes that he refused to wear. I don't understand, maybe it is a new teenage fashion to look like a bum. Are all teenagers like this, or is it just him? It makes me so frustrated. Did anybody else have a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Its all teenagers. We have 6 teenagers and 1 almost teenager and 2 of them really care about their wardrobe. I dont think our daughters even own pants with buttons. And only a few of our sons where jeans, 2 or 3. The rest wear sweats ALL THE TIME (or leggings for the girls).

Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
What is he like in life otherwise? Does he do well in school? Hang out with a good social group? I think those things are far more important than what he is wearing at this point. If he is otherwise fine I think you should choose your battles, and this one isn't it.

When I was a teenager my wardrobe consisted primarily of heavy metal t shirts and tattered jeans. I can still remember the look on my grandma's face when I showed up to Christmas wearing a Metallica shirt with an electric chair on it. Despite that, I was always a good student and never got into any trouble being typical teenage shenanigans. I went on to graduate college, and now have a good career and a nice little family of my own.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:56 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I recognize that battle. I have one that did not own a pair of jeans. He finally agreed to get a pair because it was required as a part of a uniform for a school activity.

How I have handled it is... fine... dress how you want... you're dressing as I want for specific event like pictures. You can change afterwards. It's not worth the battle as long as they are showering and not being antisocial with their friends.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Clothing is the battle I'm not engaging in and the mountain I choose not to die on. I have a girl, so it's all leggings and hoodies.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Sounds very typical. I have three sons, and they hated wearing "real" clothes.

I had to tell then when to wear a collared shirt or when NOT to dress like they were headed to basketball practice.

At some point he will care, and he will be more proactive.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Clothing is the battle I'm not engaging in and the mountain I choose not to die on. I have a girl, so it's all leggings and hoodies.
I hear you. My grandson would wear saggy basketball shorts and baggy t-shirts everywhere if he thought he could get away with it.

Choose your battles is good advice in life, and especially in parenting. If there aren’t other serious problems connected to it, it’s no big deal. Years ago my dad got all bent out of shape if boys had long hair or if girls had very short hair. Who cares?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I have raised three kids. They turned out fine. Leave your son alone. The more you fight him on this, the more he will resist. Just accept this as either a phase, or as just the way he is.

He probably dresses like his friends do. Or perhaps, he only feels comfortable in sweats.

If he is not violating the school dress code, just take a step back and let him dress for comfort.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:04 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi06 View Post
Maybe some of you will find it unimportant but to me it is an issue. The problem is that my teenage son refuses to wear any presentable clothes. He doesn't wear jeans or regular pants - just sweatpants. I bought him a couple of really nice winter jackets that I showed him online prior to buying and he said they are fine. Now he doesn't wear them - just layers some hoodies instead. I gave away tons of nice, brand name (and brand new) clothes that he refused to wear. I don't understand, maybe it is a new teenage fashion to look like a bum. Are all teenagers like this, or is it just him? It makes me so frustrated. Did anybody else have a similar situation?

Teens are teens. The wear what they, not we, want.

Get over it and don't buy clothes until he wants something

Old 12-13-2019, 12:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi06 View Post
It's just like when I was a kid and my parents wanted me to wear SOMETHING besides jeans...it's kids.

Change the way you spend on clothes. Give him a limited budget and he can buy what he wants - stop wasting money on clothes (even if he SAYS he likes them). He just wants you off his back...he's a teenage boy - yes, he'll look like a bum until he figures out he wants a girlfriend. You're lucky he showers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting