U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:28 PM

95 posts, read 16,694 times

Advertisements

Why would you think there is one answer to this question, given the millions of different families out there?

Is there a specific family you are referencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,850,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That may well be true but why is it your concern?
That's what I'm wondering. It sounds like OP is judging someone else for continuing to display their adult child's trophies.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM

16,242 posts, read 27,511,934 times
Parents can do what ever they want. They can leave the trophies up or take them down. It is not up to the kid at all. If the kid is truly an adult then they should understand. If the parents are choosing to allow the behavior that is their own problem. As for my wife and I, we have 6 kids. Four of them are now adults. Two are teenagers still in school. Our youngest son runs both Cross Country and Track. He is a martial artist that has competed in the past. Our daughter runs, cheers, plays volleyball, and is a martial artist. We don't have room in our home to display all the trophy's and awards that the kids get. With the older kids we left a few pictures up of each of them.

Every family is different and what ever they choose is up to them. If the kid is complaining about it then to hell with the kid. As a parent my kids live or used to live, in our home. They don't own the home, they don't have a right to the home, they don't make the rules for the home. They follow the rules or when they come of age they can find other arrangements.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:17 PM

759 posts, read 202,498 times
My DH has many trophies and I have a few also. None are on display anymore. This is a weird question

Old 12-20-2019, 03:00 PM

2,107 posts, read 2,104,135 times
Once I got my first "real" job after graduating college, my mother packed up all of my stuff and gave it to me when I drove home for my first vist--even my baby book--and said: "Here's all of your stuff--you can do with it whatever you want.".

Old 12-20-2019, 03:03 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,090,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Parents can do what ever they want. They can leave the trophies up or take them down. It is not up to the kid at all. If the kid is truly an adult then they should understand. If the parents are choosing to allow the behavior that is their own problem. As for my wife and I, we have 6 kids. Four of them are now adults. Two are teenagers still in school. Our youngest son runs both Cross Country and Track. He is a martial artist that has competed in the past. Our daughter runs, cheers, plays volleyball, and is a martial artist. We don't have room in our home to display all the trophy's and awards that the kids get. With the older kids we left a few pictures up of each of them.

Every family is different and what ever they choose is up to them. If the kid is complaining about it then to hell with the kid. As a parent my kids live or used to live, in our home. They don't own the home, they don't have a right to the home, they don't make the rules for the home. They follow the rules or when they come of age they can find other arrangements.
Not to mention, many people move after their kids move out. At that point, a lot of their kids’ stuff is going to be put away or even tossed if the kids don’t pick it up and store it somewhere. My parents moved when my sister was a sophomore in college. They never really displayed much anyway, but I am sure a lot got tossed with the move.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:33 PM

323 posts, read 72,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
That's what I'm wondering. It sounds like OP is judging someone else for continuing to display their adult child's trophies.

Actually I'm judging the adult child who wants their trophies, awards etc displayed. Now the parent could've set more clear cut boundaries early but that's after the fact speculation.

The child has issues and something simple like boundaries telling them to store or take their stuff might have actually helped point them in a better direction in life. Hopefully this topic regardless of opinion might help someone as should the other posts & topics.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:59 PM

12,804 posts, read 5,128,122 times
I'm curious. What role do you play in this?

I'm guessing sibling of the offender, or new spouse of the parent of the offender.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:35 PM

7,106 posts, read 3,340,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Age has nothing to do with it. Its based on the individual.
True that.

I still have years of awards my mother received. She has passed . Those awards often amaze me. I suppose 40 yrs of nursing does impact a level of recognition. Most are packed away. One I keep out though..it honors her so well.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:19 PM

95 posts, read 16,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm curious. What role do you play in this?
Regardless of whatever the OP answers, the correct answer should be ZERO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting