Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 05:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

I think age does have something to do with it. I've tossed dozens of trophies my own kids earned when they showed no interest in having them in their own homes as adults. But my father served on our hometown council for many years, and was given framed certificates of appreciation from both the town and the state. They seem special in a family history kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 07:56 PM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
How long should an adult child be allowed to keep trophies, awards etc from various activities years ago on display all over the place especially when not living in the parents home. Or how long should the parents hold on to or store them? It's as much a theoretical question in that wouldn't storing or removing them be another step in the maturation process? Would the parent be considered as shunning their child if they take them down?
Well, if parents want to display their adult children trophies/awards earned when they were in school..fine.

Or if the adult children ask their parents to keep the trophies/awards openly displayed in their home and the parents are happy to do so.

So what?

I don't see how this has anything to do with the maturation process. A bit weird maybe but nothing more.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If you are neither parent nor child in this scenario, why do you care?

Old 12-21-2019, 05:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
They can do what they want but the parent here basically spoiled them. When it came to move the 'adult' even got upset the pictures were packed before moving day. That's why I think the issue should've addressed years earlier regardless of anyone's circumstances.

But as a matter of routine or recommended practice once the child stops living at home should their personal previous life go with them? Not talking about photographs. In some family homes their kids childhood is plastered all over the place until their dying days. On the other hand even when their child goes off the college alot of personal stuff goes into storage or their room almost right away. In the end that's the answer depends on the family I guess.
Difficult to say.

Essentially, that is what my parents did that when I graduated college, totally changed my room into a guest room. It had started its transformation when I graduated high school, but it was total when I entered the service.

HOWEVER, one of the comments my mother made during a college break was that hearing my LPs playing was pleasant for it meant I was home. Further, in her last active years, my Friday night visits often turned into the entire weekend. Some parents like having their children, regardless of the age, around in one form or another.

Now, my childhood trophies? Those still in one piece are on display atop my curio cabinets. Like diaries, representations of my life through the years. Somewhere around, in the box that the parents gave me, is a team picture from 6th grade. I intend to put that up in my house. Maybe in some lesser public corner, but I do intend to put it up.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:51 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We packed up our youngest child’s trophies when he moved out. Not sure if he took them, or if they got thrown out.
I think Pops and I cared more about them than our son did.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:23 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
How long should an adult child be allowed to keep trophies, awards etc from various activities years ago on display all over the place especially when not living in the parents home. Or how long should the parents hold on to or store them? It's as much a theoretical question in that wouldn't storing or removing them be another step in the maturation process? Would the parent be considered as shunning their child if they take them down?
A friends kid got drafted in the MLB in the top ten picks, all of his trophies ended up in the trash. If the kid is a big leaguer then does it matter if he won 3rd place in little league in 2005?

Old 12-21-2019, 10:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I'm sorta/kinda facing the same dilemma except my adult son couldn't care less what happens to the trophies.

I'm getting ready to downsize and it just feels weird throwing away all those trophies/memories. That said, I want to travel a LOT more lightly these days and if my son doesn't want them; I imagine I'll keep maybe one and toss the rest

Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
My daughter had dozens of trophies ranging in size from one foot to six feet tall. We (parents) kept them on display while she was participating in that activity but took almost of them down when she left for college. At some point during college we took them all down except for her favorite ones in her old bedroom.

When Hubby and I downsized our daughter set aside her three or four favorite trophies and we got rid of the rest. We managed to give away almost all of them to "good homes". People used them as serious gifts (changed the name to "Best Book Club Leader" or "Favorite Sister") or White Elephant Gifts. Later we gave away the rest to scout leaders or kids club organizers to use a prizes or awards, To my knowledge not even one trophy ended up in a land fill.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:42 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
I am guessing that by "display", people mean that the trophies are in one of the 'public' rooms such as a living room, family room, or dining room? Rather than in - for example - a spare bedroom that may have once belonged to the now-adult moved-out child.

I honestly don't see any problem with keeping as many of a grown child's former belongings/trophies/collections/whatever as either the parents or the adult child wants to retain, in a non-public room such as a bedroom. If the space is there, and the homeowning parent doesn't need or want to use that room/space for anything else, why not keep them? Especially if the adult child's house or apartment is much smaller than the parents' and thus the offspring would have to stuff the items in a hot attic or musty basement otherwise.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:45 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that you may have misunderstood. The OP was talking about a 25 or 35 or 45 year old adult child expecting the parents to keep their (the child's) trophys up in the parent's house (not in the adult child's home).
The post was poorly written and poorly communicated, then.

Besides, I've never heard of adult children forcing their parents to keep displaying trophies in the parent's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting