Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times

Advertisements

On another note, my 26 year old daughter squandered her money. A year ago, she brought a round trip ticket to go to London this week. A group of friends from college planned this trip a long time ago. Certainly, long enough for her to save her pennies for this trip. For the last month, she been screaming at me for not providing funding her trip. Screaming like a toddler! Literally, it is like she is going through her terrible two's again.

I brought her Christmas presents like clothing she badly needed but I did not write out a check for a ten day vacation.

She went using whatever money she had - mainly from her grandparents' yearly Christmas check. I am sure she didn't have more than $500. She's going to eat a lot of peanut butter sandwiches there.

My husband and I are shaking our heads. Can't imagine doing this when we were that age. There is something about this generation. It is like they are a breed apart from us.

You can't give in to blackmail. It doesn't go your kids any good. Trust me, you aren't alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 06:14 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Im mixed on this …

yrs ago id have said hell no … everyone makes their own bed..

but ….a child ..begging for help no matter the reason its tough to say no.
perhaps id have hit middle ground....maybe an interest free loan of a partial amount..

then at least you offered something...

a cold part of my life.....even tho I understand it...is ive had the power company come shut off my electricity...because I couldn't pay bills...and not because of drugs … or gambling...
the rest of my family are traveling around the globe on vacations and im shivering because I cant afford oil for heat... (someone stole from me bigtime and lost a lot)

we are a family that doesn't ask..... and if we do and they say no.....then you risk ….not seeing that person for 10 yrs

again....when I was down my work closed down I owed 401k loans due ….I was behind on my bills...yet couldn't reach out to ask …..anyone ...a very cold position to be in

again ….id have made an offer …..even if a loan … (we all can be "right" but "wrong")

Old 12-28-2019, 07:32 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
He had parked it at a public train parking lot for the weekend as he was taking the train to come meet me for a weekend visit.

After the visit, I drove him all the way back to pickup his vehicle at which time we discovered it missing.
He then disclosed to me that not only was his vehicle not registered (due to not being insured) but he had left all his mechanic tools in the truck tool box.

After making a police report, I drove him home and gave him a couple hundred dollars (which I had planned to since before the visit).

The truck never was recovered and after a week he called me asking for some $$ to help him buy another truck. When I told him I wasn't going to help with the money he became irritated and frantic as he plead for money to help him replace the vehicle. He had blown $18,000 that he got from a previous auto accident that was not his fault and had nothing to show for it so I couldn't in good conscious shell out my hard earned money.

Since then, his mother who lives in the same city as he, has bought him a car but my son has refused to answer my calls.
He might blame you because he parked his car to take a train to see you.

Why didn't he have insurance? Could he not afford it?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think if I were faced with this decision, I’d probably sit down with son and have a talk about his stolen truck, his lack of insurance, his keeping tools in an uninsured truck. If I were satisfied that he understood his mistakes, I might have lent or given him money.

I think the OP is punishing son for his mistakes, when he could have been teaching him .

However, I suspect this man has made other, costly mistakes before. If he had to suffer consequences, he might have learned something. As it is, his mom bailed him out.

I wish the OP had had at least a conversation about son’s poor choices.

And I also understand that son has already “blown” a sizable sum of money. He might never be able to make good decisions.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
The son is still in his 20s so he has 'a' chance to change. There are probably other issues in play.

But that being said I've seen adult children hold it against their parents for not only bailing them but go through their entire adult life like they're owed something. Here they like to run with the rich so to speak so when they hear what those children got it makes it tough for a lower income person to compete even though they can't or shouldn't have to. My guess is the op may have seen his friends bailed out or given more by their parents. What are they using a standard?

Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 AM
CGQ

7 posts, read 5,673 times
I do agree with your decision not to give your son money. There is a fine line between helping and enabling. But I do think it would be a good idea for you to communicate to him that your decision was coming from a loving place. Help him understand that you want him to be able to take care of himself and make decisions that are good for him and his future. Tell him you miss him but you also trust that he can solve his own problems... and you just don’t think you would be doing him a favor by bailing him out when it was his decision making that caused the problem. And that saving him from the consequences of irresponsible decision making is not actually helping him. Make sure he knows he can always come to you for advise and that you love him.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
He might blame you because he parked his car to take a train to see you.

Why didn't he have insurance? Could he not afford it?
He had an accident with his prior vehicle (his fault) and his mother cut him off her car insurance policy.
He could not afford the high cost of a policy of his own.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think if I were faced with this decision, I’d probably sit down with son and have a talk about his stolen truck, his lack of insurance, his keeping tools in an uninsured truck. If I were satisfied that he understood his mistakes, I might have lent or given him money.

I think the OP is punishing son for his mistakes, when he could have been teaching him .

However, I suspect this man has made other, costly mistakes before. If he had to suffer consequences, he might have learned something. As it is, his mom bailed him out.

I wish the OP had had at least a conversation about son’s poor choices.

And I also understand that son has already “blown” a sizable sum of money. He might never be able to make good decisions.

I thought I had mentioned earlier, but when I tried to talk to my son he became very irrate and resented it feeling like I was 'lecturing' him.
He hung up.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGQ View Post
I do agree with your decision not to give your son money. There is a fine line between helping and enabling. But I do think it would be a good idea for you to communicate to him that your decision was coming from a loving place. Help him understand that you want him to be able to take care of himself and make decisions that are good for him and his future. Tell him you miss him but you also trust that he can solve his own problems... and you just don’t think you would be doing him a favor by bailing him out when it was his decision making that caused the problem. And that saving him from the consequences of irresponsible decision making is not actually helping him. Make sure he knows he can always come to you for advise and that you love him.

CGQ,

Very solid sounding advice.
I think I relayed most of this to him when the incident happened.
It is very uncomfortable since he has avoided me completely since.
He has been in contact with my elderly mother (his grandmother) and his brother and mother.
I am hoping he is not trying to get my mother to give him money that she really can't afford.
I know she would do it.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
You did the right thing. He’s an adult now. About time he figures things out for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting