U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 06:40 AM

162 posts, read 301,623 times

Advertisements

Just wondering who out there is a parent/ step parent and how many kids?

Step parent to a 7 year old son and 13 year old daughter
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 01:42 PM

47,898 posts, read 38,530,323 times
My husband and I have five adult kids - four are mine and one is his. When we got married, the only one still a child was his only son so I feel like I sort of raised him - I have been an integral part of his life since he was eleven and I love him very much.

My husband loves my kids too but has bonded most with the ones who live closest and who he sees the most of course. He is absolutely CRAZY about my oldest daughter and in part because she also has four kids who he considers his grandchildren, and they are as crazy about him as he is about them.

In fact, I surprised them one year with a visit, and I swear to you that though I am their "real" grandparent, they were super disappointed when my husband didn't get out of the car with me! They were totally looking for him but they made do with just me - LOL.

One thing that I just love is that my oldest daughter loves my husband dearly, and he loves her too. And she was already married with one child when he and I got married, but now she calls him Dad. I love that. He thinks the world of her too.

We've been married for 14 years.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:46 AM

162 posts, read 301,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I have five adult kids - four are mine and one is his. When we got married, the only one still a child was his only son so I feel like I sort of raised him - I have been an integral part of his life since he was eleven and I love him very much.

My husband loves my kids too but has bonded most with the ones who live closest and who he sees the most of course. He is absolutely CRAZY about my oldest daughter and in part because she also has four kids who he considers his grandchildren, and they are as crazy about him as he is about them.

In fact, I surprised them one year with a visit, and I swear to you that though I am their "real" grandparent, they were super disappointed when my husband didn't get out of the car with me! They were totally looking for him but they made do with just me - LOL.

One thing that I just love is that my oldest daughter loves my husband dearly, and he loves her too. And she was already married with one child when he and I got married, but now she calls him Dad. I love that. He thinks the world of her too.

We've been married for 14 years.
That's awesome. It is great when everything turns out good with the kids. My biggest fear was having the kids not like me or try to sabotage the relationship. That is why it was important to still involve their dad and give him freedom to see them whenever.

I love the story!

--B

Old 12-28-2019, 06:48 AM

474 posts, read 528,407 times
I have 3 children, 2 step and 1 natural with my husband. My boys are 30 and 26 and my daughter is 14. I have been in the boy's lives since they were 12 and 9. Their Mom passed away about 2 years before I met them, so I definitely feel like I contributed a lot in their upbringing. They are awesome guys (if I must say so myself )

Meeting them is a cute story that I love. I was dating their father for about 4 months before I met the boys. He had asked them how they would feel about him dating someone, and they said it would be OK. They had not known he was dating me. We then arranged to meet at my friends party, but the boys thought we all met there for the first time. We just wanted to meet casually and see how things went naturally. We thought it might be a nice way to say "Hey, remember her? I am going to take her out on a date."

To both of our surprise, the boys said to their Dad, we really like her and think you should ask her out. He played along and said how do I know she will say yes? The older one said he should call the party host and have him ask me if I liked their Dad, because that's what a 12 year old would do.

The rest is history, and we have been married 15 years. We always thought we would tell them the truth when they got older, but haven't because I just love the innocence of it.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:58 AM

18,897 posts, read 24,303,733 times
I have one son... a blessing … if I leave this world tomorrow .. I have a legacy to be proud of

I loved loved loved being a dad …..every year as he was growing I was the dad I never had

when I was a kid...it was work work work work work...…. I missed out on a lot ...because of it..
my son enjoyed his childhood.....and had confidence ..

he is now in his mid 20's and a pharmacist....went to college for 6 yrs ….I leveraged my house to help pay for his college .

when he was born ...he was a C-section so when "mother" was getting stitched up I had him for one hour in a room just he and I …...he was wide awake looking around....I made 10 "life's promises" to him I kept these very personal …..yet one of my best accomplishments in life... (from not hitting him ...to paying for his college, to spending time with him)

we have an awesome relationship … I taught him humility and caring (arrogance is weakness...humility is wisdom)
he was far ahead of me at being mature in his years...I was very competitive....not as confident ..

Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 AM

10,080 posts, read 11,144,757 times
When my wife and I met, we each had a 2 year old boy from a previous relationship.

We are now married. The boys are now 6 going on 7, and we had a 2 year old together.

The coparenting relationship with our ex's works out quite well. Everyone is happy and gets along. No drama at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or