U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 01:44 PM

14,290 posts, read 10,596,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am curious as to exactly how you would demonstrate that to a 3-year-old (for example.) If a gas stove, would you turn on a burner and let it ignite a piece of paper?
Two things. At 3, you recognize that a 3yo won't get it. So you don't let them anywhere near the stove unsupervised. Ever. When you are there with them, you hold your hand near the stove and mimic OUCH. When they are calm, you hold (secure more than hold to make sure they don't spaz out and put it in) their hand near the stove to feel.

Quote:
If an electric stove, do you hold the child's hand close enough to the hot surface that they can feel the heat of it? Seriously, I am intrigued by the mechanics of how you would demonstrate the actual danger in a way that such a young child could truly understand.
But truth? The old hit them to keep themselves from hurting themselves is the height of moronic. Hitting them did exactly nothing to teach them the danger. If you are really lucky, they will associate the hitting with the stove. But that isn't even the most likely connection they make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 01:48 PM

14,290 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
as to the bold, neither are dogs. I train dogs for a living. Never had to hit one of them to train them. Or physically discipline them. Cognitively they are similar to toddlers.

The science is out there. Physical punishment isn't training, and often has unintended side effects. Sure - some kids, and some dogs, are built in such a way that they won't be phased by being hit. But most will. So why be violent with them when there are other methods that have a better outcome, and don't require the teacher to be physical with them? In my experience talking with people who have taken their dogs to punishment trainers, most people don't want to hit. It's not in their nature. So they seek out other methods, which is cool. The people who are happy to hit don't care about relationships, they want instant robotic obedience, no matter what's going on and what might happen in the future.
this

Old 12-31-2019, 04:03 PM

18,361 posts, read 4,968,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Study after study has shown that since we decided not spanking kids would make them less violent -there has been a steady increase in incarceration of violent offenders
Is that why Crime in the USA is 1/2 of what it was when the Rod was less spared?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:50 PM

1,976 posts, read 590,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I do not believe in beating ANYONE. IMO, a spank is not a beating.

A good swat on the butt is needed in some cases. I also think getting the strap by a principal on a child's hand should be brought back to the school system.

Children these days have NO respect for anyone because they have no recognition or learning from the discipline given to them by parents or teachers or anyone else (which is next to nil if anything at all) Sitting and talking to children is ineffective. They just tune out and repeat the offence or worse.

Go to a school yard and watch what goes on these days. Kids tell teachers to f-off, hit them, walk away, ignore them, trash their classrooms, etc. The teachers and principals do nothing.

Bullying is at an all time high because nothing is done.

Out of school suspension... re: sending them home as punishment is a joke. They sit and watch tv or play games all day while their parents are at work. Totally ineffective. It is sickening.
I agree. Some spankings when younger I don’t consider a beating. Anymore kids face no consequences for anything they do and feel they can do anything they want. My friends and I grew up with some spankings, getting grounded, having our records taken away for a couple weeks etc. The things that kids say today to their parents and teachers we wouldn’t have dared to say.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:58 PM

2,108 posts, read 797,768 times
IMHO it seems that some posters on this thread are positing this equation:

A Rare Single Mild Swat on a Diapered Bottom = A Spanking = A Beating. At least that's the impression I m getting. And maybe that's the way they feel about it, and that's fine for them. However, many parents do not see those three acts as being at all equal.

The height of irony is something I've personally seen more times than I can count: The parent (usually but not always the father) who in an adult conversation will make a point of saying that he/she "would never raise a hand to their child" .... but also does not hesitate to threaten their child verbally with physical punishment: "Do that again and I'll break your arm", "You know, I brought you into this world, I'll take you out", and so on. I am not making this up, I have heard parents that I personally know use exactly those phrases and more when disciplining their kids. If called out on it, they inevitably scoff and say something like "Oh, lighten up will you, he/she knows that I'm just kidding." These were college educated professional people, in their 30s and 40s, by the way.

These parents did honestly think that they were very good parents because hey, they would never actually strike their children! Verbal abuse is obviously just fine in their book though, because that's not corporal punishment.

Sorry for the diversion. Off my soap box now.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:35 PM

11,467 posts, read 16,616,377 times
I beat my boys and they grew into great men. Of course, now they keep grudge, after they drunk from US liberties. But, at least, they did not throw fits like my grandson does, turning parents lives into hell. I am patiently waiting, when my son's patience will blow and he will employ dog skin education (belts used to be made out of dog hide).

MOF, I set him straight once and ever since, he's silk and butter when visiting us.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:36 PM

6,029 posts, read 2,365,100 times
Beating your children was not common in the 80's or 90's. Don't know where you got that.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 469,378 times
I sure hope it isn't. Physical assault is physical assault no matter the intent.

Assault is illegal. by the way. Just sayin'.

Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,338,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I beat my boys and they grew into great men. Of course, now they keep grudge, after they drunk from US liberties. But, at least, they did not throw fits like my grandson does, turning parents lives into hell. I am patiently waiting, when my son's patience will blow and he will employ dog skin education (belts used to be made out of dog hide).

MOF, I set him straight once and ever since, he's silk and butter when visiting us.
Depends how one defines "great men". I've no doubt they are more submissive as such physical harshness delved out during childhood will leave its emotional trauma. So sorry to hear that you have pride in that sort of harm to your own flesh and blood.

May you be blessed with a rude awakening.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

4,355 posts, read 1,907,693 times
I don't hit but wonder about statements about violent crime being down. After the Parkland shooting, a book came out that crime was not being reported especially in schools. Also, beatings were never normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or