U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:43 PM

1,095 posts, read 571,928 times

Advertisements

Tell your son it is inappropriate and not ok in your house. If you are doing your job, that should be enough to start extinguishing the behavior. Don’t worry about the other kid unless you have other reasons to. This is nowhere near the big deal you think it is, and trust me, this would not be ok in my house either, but after 3 kids I’ve learned that just explaining why it isn’t ok in your house is usually enough. They learn things out in the big world, you explain and teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 PM

945 posts, read 245,003 times
Yeah we’re over it for now. I have not seen my son doing this gesture once, it hasn’t come up (no pun)

I don’t say I’m breastfeeding. I write it though

Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 AM

275 posts, read 46,162 times
They will see this eventually. Once they are older. Is it that horrible?

The Supreme Court has also ruled that giving the middle finger to someone is constitutionally protected free speech, and you can even give the middle finger to a police officer.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 489,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
They will see this eventually. Once they are older. Is it that horrible?

The Supreme Court has also ruled that giving the middle finger to someone is constitutionally protected free speech, and you can even give the middle finger to a police officer.
First, the Supreme Court has not issued such a ruling. The Sixth Circuit has issued such a ruling, but that means that the gesture is protected speech in only the states where the Sixth Circuit has appellate jurisdiction: KY, MI, OH, TN.

Second, it is well-established in free speech caselaw that more restrictive rules can be applied to children in a school setting than to adults. So this particular ruling has no legal relevance to a child flipping the bird in kindergarten.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:25 PM

10,570 posts, read 14,159,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I do know some men who seem to find it funny when young boys swear. My uncle and his son find it funny that the kid who is now 11 would say words like ahole that he’d heard the grandfather saying while driving. I actually know a few guys who think it’s funny. Thankfully my DH is on the same page as me. We don’t want trash mouthed kids. I recall that the early swearers when I was growing up were the rebellious types who went on to do other things they shouldn’t be doing.

Thank god my stepson is 16 so he has been cursing for a while now but if I had a little one I'm such a bad influence, their first word would probably be some sort of curse word hahaha

Old Today, 10:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 17,271,864 times
I know this has been dealt with, but your kids will hear all kinds of things in school from other kids who don't really know what they're saying. For example, growing up, my parents used a word to replace more serious swear words like the f*** and s*** as an expletive. They grew up hearing it where they grew up, and even when we moved cross country, they passed it on to my brother and I. We all thought it was a "safe" word.

Flash forward. I was around 28 years old in an office that I had worked in the same office for a few years. I accidentally hit send on an email before I was done writing the message and said the word just as a colleague was walking past my cube. She backtracked and asked me what I just said. I said it again. Her eyes got really big. I explained to her what I just said about my family using the word, but that I thought it meant nothing. She called over another colleague who is first generation Italian and asked me to say the word. "Charo, you can't say that out loud. It's a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad word in Italian." And this is an office where we occasionally drop the f word in meetings.

My 60-something year old parents had no idea. They heard it at school from kids who probably had no idea either who had heard it from their parents and grandparents who came from immigrant families. They brought it to school, and before you knew it everyone was using it. It's so commonplace that there are Facebook groups referring to the region where my parents grew up as the "****** Valley." Even though it IS a bad word, once it passed through the kids it turned into something innocent and pretty hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or