U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 AM

60,403 posts, read 57,736,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
"Bum" (meaning "butt", not "lazy person") is a British term, like "prat" (moron). American kids won't know it, but British and maybe Canadian kids probably might.
My parents said "bum" and they were neither Canadian nor British. Nobody said "butt" when I was growing up, so it's probably just a change in word usage that happened in the USA.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:19 AM

88,940 posts, read 105,394,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My parents said "bum" and they were neither Canadian nor British. Nobody said "butt" when I was growing up, so it's probably just a change in word usage that happened in the USA.
We said "bum" in the Pittsburgh area, too. "Butt" was rarely used and considered kind of obscene. My mom from Wisconsin said neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 12:34 PM

4,182 posts, read 1,911,361 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We said "bum" in the Pittsburgh area, too. "Butt" was rarely used and considered kind of obscene. My mom from Wisconsin said neither.
I consider "butt" to be mildly crass but not inappropriate, considering that my elementary school teachers used it. I live in Chicago. Although, I suppose they tolerated low-level crassness and bathroom humor for the sake of teaching and relating to students, rather than totally prohibiting it and alienating kids. All in all, it's comparable to "booty": not something to say at formal occasions, but OK otherwise.

While "bum" isn't crass or inappropriate, I associate it with Tom Green and his infamous "Bum Bum Song". And it doesn't get more crass than that. Perhaps it's a generation thing.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I consider "butt" to be mildly crass but not inappropriate, considering that my elementary school teachers used it. I live in Chicago. Although, I suppose they tolerated low-level crassness and bathroom humor for the sake of teaching and relating to students, rather than totally prohibiting it and alienating kids. All in all, it's comparable to "booty": not something to say at formal occasions, but OK otherwise.

While "bum" isn't crass or inappropriate, I associate it with Tom Green and his infamous "Bum Bum Song". And it doesn't get more crass than that. Perhaps it's a generation thing.
Have no idea what that is, but it probably is a generational thing. Nobody said "booty" to mean anything sexual (it originally meant the spoils of war or the take from a crime) until a few decades ago, either.

Language changes.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:42 PM

4,182 posts, read 1,911,361 times
Quote:
Have no idea what that is, but it probably is a generational thing. Nobody said "booty" to mean anything sexual (it originally meant the spoils of war or the take from a crime) until a few decades ago, either.

Language changes.
The "Bum Bum Song" is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJfnOdVeHxg. [NSFW]

When I was growing up, "booty" was a synonym for buttocks or hips, like "shake your booty!" (*cough* J-Lo *cough*) It was more anatomical than sexual, but still. I didn't learn about its connection to pirates or war until college. Even today, I heard kids laugh at the country name Djibouti, where I volunteer at a food warehouse,

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-11-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 PM

1,349 posts, read 778,018 times
Quote:
I think it's a "you" thing and not a generational thing. I'm 37, I was probably ~16 when that song came out. While I certainly remember the song, I hadn't thought about it in many years until reading it in this thread. I do not associate the word bum with that song and I really doubt that many people from any age group do.

I look at the word bum as more or less equal to butt. To me it seems like something more common in British English.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM

1,050 posts, read 275,582 times
Nope butt is way more crass than bum. Lol.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

Back to the topic, in New Jersey, five is a little bit late for a kid to be taught about the middle finger. A good parent would teach the kid that gesture when they were learning to ride their tricycle.

Old Today, 11:37 AM

9,188 posts, read 6,860,495 times
Quote:

My fondest memory of that song was when a girl used it in Honors English as part of a poetry/lyric project. I still laugh when I hear a reference to the song or Tom Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I also think the word butt is crass and I don’t use it. I saw bum. Have I used the word butt or even ass? Yes but not around my kids. I have heard the gymnastics teacher say ok sit on your butts everyone or heard others say butt around my kids. I cringe a bit and depending on who it is I might even say can you not say that. I also don’t like the words stupid, dumb, hate or ugly being said around them and those are pretty common words but just aren’t words that young children should be exposed to.
Are they the words or is it when they're used as invectives against another person? I understand not wanting to expose kids to the concept of hate for another person, or hearing gross insults towards other people.

But referring to a plaid recliner, an olive green house, a visually unappealing rug, as "ugly," what's inappropriate about that? Or alternatively, as my Grandmother would say if the grandkids weren't playing nicely with one another, "Don't be ugly to your sisters."

Dumb, Stupid and Hate have similar uses that aren't inherently hurtful or unkind. Knowing the words doesn't make kids hurtful, crass or unkind; that's a separate behavior unrelated to vocabulary.

It's like exposing a child to a brick, a hammer, or baseball bat. They can be weapons or tools of vandalism, or they can be used to build or play sports.

Old Today, 05:07 PM

5,083 posts, read 4,005,956 times
This thread has to win the prize for the most mentions of the word "butt" and its variants like "bum" in an internet forum. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or