U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM

807 posts, read 213,984 times

Advertisements

Like I said they know the words. They just use another word to describe them.

Personally I rarely use the correct word unless I’m at the dr. I never call my breast a breast. It’s a boob unless I’m at the dr but even then I don’t find myself having to say it.

You seem to feel very strongly about this. If my daughters vagina hurts she’ll let me know. She’ll say my pee pee hurts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:36 AM

664 posts, read 217,708 times
Its not something i go around campaigning for but I do know that youre not the only person who may have to ask your child about something having to their body. And being able to verbally identify all parts is important. The healthcare industry for example cant know all children's short versions for body parts. But you said they know the words so thats good.

The other part of it is you saying your DH isnt comfortable saying the proper words, (I am NOT saying you do this so dont think im attacking you), when children are told repeatedly not to say words that refer to their bodies or to not show their bodies or the words they use are "bad" they can become ashamed of their body. And shame is always a bad thing

Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM

1,319 posts, read 754,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was also upset when my kids learned the word butt. I prefer the word bum. I think butt sounds crass. But I even heard the gymnastics teacher say ok everyone sit on your butt. Some people don’t think twice about it. It’s better than ass I guess lol.

I tell my kids butt is not a nice word and bum is more appropriate. Or rear, hiney, tukus, fanny, behind. So many other words for it.
You wouldn't being comfortable in my house lol. Instead of telling my young kids to say "cheese" to smile for a photo I tell them to say "butt cheeks". It gets a big grin every time.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:44 PM

10,354 posts, read 6,814,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My DH said he noticed our son pointing his middle finger around. He ignored it but then he blurted out that a classmate showed him how to it. The boy apparently doesn’t behave frequently in the class

DH sent teacher a note but told her he didn’t want to tell who the kid is. I said he should tell her because she needs to tell his parents. I find it awful that a 5 yr old had seen this. I’m guessing maybe they saw it in tv. I recall my cousin giving the finger at a young age because he saw mr bean do it in a movie.

I’d be less suprised if they picked up words they hear. I don’t swear around my kids but i can see how it happens. A gesture is different. Most people aren’t doing this in their home to each other I’d guess. Maybe the kid has older brothers who showed him.

Either way I’m upset that my son knows this is a bad thing. Too early. Ugh.

Oh, for God's sake! Don't make a bigger deal out of it. Kids will be kids.

I am sure that your precious 5 year old knows more than just flipping the bird!

This is the world we live in today

Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 PM

13,943 posts, read 15,058,957 times
The op should buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride for a mom so sensitive

Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM

1,319 posts, read 754,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
It makes me think of a story my dad always tells from his childhood. He was probably 6 or 7 and shared a joke he learned at school with my grandma. He asked her if she could think of a work that started with F and ended in UCK. After a mischievous grin and a pause with no reply, he said "firetruck". Apparently that earned him a spanking back in 1960's America.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM

5,022 posts, read 3,960,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am sure that your precious 5 year old knows more than just flipping the bird!

I am going on 73 years old, and it was the world I lived in back in the early 50s, too. I got the bar of soap in the mouth one day because I said "we're screwed" in front of my mother - something I heard at school from one of the other kids.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:28 PM

807 posts, read 213,984 times
I guess I just want to protect their hearts and souls. Isn’t that my job!?

I had trouble explaining what death was and it really bothered me when my son started using the word dead even if he was referring to a bug or a plant. It’s hard hearing your children learn these things. Also bothers me when he says kill about something on tv ( in sleeping beauty prince kills dragon/maleficent etc).

And omg I remember my parents getting mad at me for saying screwed!! My dad actually! I said dad the tv is screwed up. He was like what!? That isn’t a very ladylike thing to say. I had no idea what I’d said wrong.

Last edited by Bridge781; 01-09-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM

398 posts, read 212,901 times
I think it is jarring to hear your child say their first swear word - it can be hysterical, IMO and also a great teaching opportunity. Once that happens, then it's just a matter of time before the rest of the words pop up. And they always seem to pop up at the MOST opportune time.

My "favorite" to date is when our then-just-turned-11 year old asked - as we were pulling into the parking lot for one of baseball games - "Mom, what is a 'ho'?" That was a fun one...

Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 PM

46,292 posts, read 44,628,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Oh, for God's sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
These kinds of comments ^^ are the risk of being vulnerable here.

This boy is the OP's oldest, of two, and she's going through what most parents who love their children go through as their innocence starts to fall away.

It should be no surprise that we ALL occupy varying spots on the spectrum of appropriateness, but that really doesn't give any of us the right to use our "spot" as a weapon against someone who doesn't operate exactly the same.

Kids aren't the only ones who grow up along the way. We parents do a lot of growing up too as we all go through these situations together. I think that's what the OP is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or