Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinetwelve29 View Post
10 Yr old girls may start to develop breast buds at that time. Just a little bump below the nipple that may cause them to be noticeable under a t-shirt. That's most likely whats happening.
You might be right. I didn't start paying attention to girls' breasts until I was 12, I know that. The only problem with the "scrambled channel" was that many women on there weren't exactly college coeds, which was young enough for my 12-year-old self. They looked old enough to be my... older sister.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-10-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 12:04 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
This is more about the parent's emotions related to the state of the world. It IS sad. Children ARE innocent for a time and then . . .

Old 01-10-2020, 03:23 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My DH said he noticed our son pointing his middle finger around. He ignored it but then he blurted out that a classmate showed him how to it. The boy apparently doesn’t behave frequently in the class

DH sent teacher a note but told her he didn’t want to tell who the kid is. I said he should tell her because she needs to tell his parents. I find it awful that a 5 yr old had seen this. I’m guessing maybe they saw it in tv. I recall my cousin giving the finger at a young age because he saw mr bean do it in a movie.

I’d be less suprised if they picked up words they hear. I don’t swear around my kids but i can see how it happens. A gesture is different. Most people aren’t doing this in their home to each other I’d guess. Maybe the kid has older brothers who showed him.

Either way I’m upset that my son knows this is a bad thing. Too early. Ugh.
Yeah, better brace yourself for it. They know more by 6th grade than people my age knew at 20. Having a 15 and 17 yr old at the moment, my biggest advice I could give to anyone with young kids, is Monitor and strictly limit the amount of time spent on electronics.

I believe that is the #1 cause of the spike in depression and anxiety in society right now. My kids literally go into withdrawals when we take them away. The apps and games are all designed to target the reward system in the brain, and cause their dopamine levels to spike. Take that away is just like coming down off drugs. We just recently deleted and forbid my daughter from using ANY apps whatsoever besides actual phone calls and texts, and she's like a new person now.

Just my 2 cents.

SS

Old 01-10-2020, 06:22 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Wow, I'm going to tell oldest DD about this thread. She's been really annoyed that my six-year-old grandson (who is in first grade) started coming home from school constantly using the word "butt" in every other sentence, and laughing to beat the band about it. She makes a big deal out of it, and I tell her to just ignore it...it's a phase and the hilarity will soon pass. Farts are growing in popularity, and discovery of the middle finger is sure to soon come, and I don't want to see her reaction to that. That stuff will ALWAYS be funny to boys (I had two brothers), but you just have to teach them about being appropriate. DD is the mother of two boys...she really needs to get used to it.

It may seem a bit late that he's being exposed to this stuff, but he's been kept pretty sheltered from TV and video games, and he's never been to daycare or school before Kindergarten. His peers are sure to catch him up.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-10-2020 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
All it took was one MOMENT in my life at the fine age of 9 when us Girls at school had the "Female Change Class" in which I learned about what would blossom and what a feminine hygiene product was used for. To Blurt out in front of My Great aunt - When asked- So what did you learn at school today? Boy did she turn three shades of red and then in her gracefull way gave the second talk on "Female Change", in which I learned mighty quick what a lady can refer to certain body developments and how to modify the language to be acceptable . She had a way of turning moments into positive learning experiences.....I was less inclined to just blurt and took time keep it g rated.

So yes some moments can be Clutch the Pearls Moments...I think folks should have those times. It gives them an opportunity to confront and modify the orators poor use of words or behavior. Brushing it under the carpet or minimizing it ....nope.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:58 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
It’s just happening sooner than I thought

I remember learning about what a BJ was in the 4th grade from some girl who had older sisters. I couldn’t believe that such a disgusting act could possibly take place lol.

Seriously I learned bad things from other kids. But not in kindergarten.
Or maybe you've just forgotten? I have middle schoolers at home. They brought home a few words in preschool, probably that gesture too, but they really didn't have any context to connect them to and they were quickly forgotten.

I am sure you are more concerned that your child is learning right from wrong and is learning how to regulate his emotions and that this finger episode is only a blip on the radar. Children eventually learn what curse words mean. It's more important that they are able to control themselves and know when and when not to use them.

And you will find that families have different rules about curse words. Keep an open mind. We know families who are very strict about language but the kids are a wreck. Other kids curse freely but would never hurt another child, physically or verbally. I do hold a special disdain for the finger, though, as it is always directed at another person. But I promise your child has already forgotten about it.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:31 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
My nephew is 10 and he seems incredibly sheltered. I can’t imagine him noticing boobies. I know he will one day and my SIL will be horrified. Or maybe he’ll be into guys. If you think I need to toughen up my SIL better hope she isn’t told or exposed to much that her kids learn. She can’t handle it.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:52 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,230,703 times
Quote:
I guess I just want to protect their hearts and souls. Isn’t that my job!?

I had trouble explaining what death was and it really bothered me when my son started using the word dead even if he was referring to a bug or a plant. It’s hard hearing your children learn these things. Also bothers me when he says kill about something on tv ( in sleeping beauty prince kills dragon/maleficent etc).

And omg I remember my parents getting mad at me for saying screwed!! My dad actually! I said dad the tv is screwed up. He was like what!? That isn’t a very ladylike thing to say. I had no idea what I’d said wrong.
To a certain extent, absolutely. But it is just as important, if not more so, that you teach them how to weather the stresses of life. Keeping children in a bubble damages them in the long run as they don't learn how to cope with hardship. It's a tricky balance, but one that is critical. You don't want to be a helicopter parent, or worse, a bulldozer mom. Teach your kids that they are capable, competent, kind, and tough, all at the same time.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:37 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,195 times
Quote:
My nephew is 10 and he seems incredibly sheltered. I can’t imagine him noticing boobies. I know he will one day and my SIL will be horrified. Or maybe he’ll be into guys. If you think I need to toughen up my SIL better hope she isn’t told or exposed to much that her kids learn. She can’t handle it.
I don’t think it really has much to do with being sheltered or not. It all depends on when those hormones hit. My son is only 6, but sometimes when he is in the bath he has an erection and I’ve noticed him “exploring” it. I don’t react badly. I just tell him that you shouldn’t touch those parts in front of people, only in private. We’ve decided that we don’t want to set any standard of feeling shame for investigating a natural urge.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:46 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I don’t think it really has much to do with being sheltered or not. It all depends on when those hormones hit. My son is only 6, but sometimes when he is in the bath he has an erection and I’ve noticed him “exploring” it. I don’t react badly. I just tell him that you shouldn’t touch those parts in front of people, only in private. We’ve decided that we don’t want to set any standard of feeling shame for investigating a natural urge.
At age 6 or before puberty in general, erections can happen for non-sexual reasons, and don't even need to involve underwear rubbing against the penis. Erections are basically a product of blood flow into the spongy penis tissue. They can "pop up" when a boy is excited (mentally) about something, when he sits or stands in a certain way, when his bowels are full and press against the prostate, or sometimes for no reason or rhyme at all. I'm male. I've been there.

It's only at puberty that a connection forms between erections and sexual arousal. That's where you get boys sneaking "Playboy" magazines and/or watching the scrambled cable channel. Or whatever the Post-Millennial (Gen Z) equivalent of that stuff is; HornPub, most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting