U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:12 PM

664 posts, read 219,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What nonsense! I was bottle fed and had a perfect bite. My sister was breastfed and had a huge overbite

Your link is not holding up your 'scientific' claim, it is just propaganda.
I dont necessarily believe it. He asked for studies. I was in a hurry but found an article that says SOME studies show...doesnt mean absolute science. Just that evidence seems to suggest. Anecdotal evidence is not science unless there are a few thousand together and studied. Correlation does not equal causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 02:46 PM

7,494 posts, read 4,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I dont necessarily believe it. He asked for studies. I was in a hurry but found an article that says SOME studies show...doesnt mean absolute science. Just that evidence seems to suggest. Anecdotal evidence is not science unless there are a few thousand together and studied. Correlation does not equal causation.
Yeah, I did ask. I know that anecdotes are not evidence and pro-anything (or anti-anything) propaganda is also not evidence. I've heard about breastfed babies having this beautiful bone structure and perfect bite, while bottle-fed babies have narrow bones and crowded, crooked teeth, but I really have a hard time believing that the difference is anything other than very slight, if it exists at all.

It may be in a huge population with a tightly controlled study, you might find that the percentage of exclusively breastfed babies who have perfect teeth is very slightly higher than that of bottle-fed babies, but it would be hard to do even that. Mothers lie all the time about how long and how exclusively they breastfed. And there are so many other factors.

Certainly you can not walk around a city looking at people and tell who was breastfed and who wasn't, from their faces.

I'm pro-breastfeeding, of course, but I'm also pro-babies being fed and pro-mothers keeping their sanity and having reasonable expectations. Breastfeeding is great, but it doesn't solve everything. I spoke with one expectant mother once who told me that she was going to breastfeed because bottle-fed babies were sick all the time with colds and ear infections, but breastfed babies were very healthy and so she wouldn't have to take days off work or spend money on doctors.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM

1,322 posts, read 755,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm pro-breastfeeding, of course, but I'm also pro-babies being fed and pro-mothers keeping their sanity and having reasonable expectations. Breastfeeding is great, but it doesn't solve everything. I spoke with one expectant mother once who told me that she was going to breastfeed because bottle-fed babies were sick all the time with colds and ear infections, but breastfed babies were very healthy and so she wouldn't have to take days off work or spend money on doctors.
This is very reasonable. My wife tried breastfeeding our first child and it just didn't work out. She drove herself crazy trying, went to consultants etc. It just wasn't meant to be. She had enormous guilt for giving it up. If it works out, that's great, but no one's mental health should suffer if it isn't the right choice for their situation for whatever reason.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:49 PM

1,397 posts, read 522,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
This is very reasonable. My wife tried breastfeeding our first child and it just didn't work out. She drove herself crazy trying, went to consultants etc. It just wasn't meant to be. She had enormous guilt for giving it up. If it works out, that's great, but no one's mental health should suffer if it isn't the right choice for their situation for whatever reason.
I was incredibly guilty in the early 1980s when I could not breastfeed my babies. All my grandkids have been breastfed and they are no more healthy than mine were. The pressure to breastfeed then was not too intense medically but it was when you got outside the hospital. I would hide in a room so that people did not see me bottle feed.

I know someone who had a baby only last week in a private hospital. She had to sign a whole lot of papers as she wanted to give her baby a small amount of formula while her milk was coming in. It is not standard practice but it was what she wanted.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:36 PM

3,996 posts, read 9,571,555 times
My mother had kids in the late 60s and 70s. She was very much against breastfeeding and didn't even consider it. I think ub the hospital they also gave her some type of hormonal pills to dry up her milk.

I breastfed 2 out of 3 of my children. They were born in the late 90s/2000s. I didn't feel pressure either way while in the hospital. I didn't feel guilty about the one for whom breastfeeding just didn't work. My mother, and her sisters, on the other hand, were so anti-breastfeeding they drove me insane. They did believe it was lower class and breasts were sexual, they were just really horrible about it.

Healthwise, all 3 kids were pretty healthy. For me, I was much happier breastfeeding. It was so convenient and helped me lose the babyweight much faster.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:26 PM

4,912 posts, read 2,114,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, I did ask. I know that anecdotes are not evidence and pro-anything (or anti-anything) propaganda is also not evidence. I've heard about breastfed babies having this beautiful bone structure and perfect bite, while bottle-fed babies have narrow bones and crowded, crooked teeth, but I really have a hard time believing that the difference is anything other than very slight, if it exists at all.

It may be in a huge population with a tightly controlled study, you might find that the percentage of exclusively breastfed babies who have perfect teeth is very slightly higher than that of bottle-fed babies, but it would be hard to do even that. Mothers lie all the time about how long and how exclusively they breastfed. And there are so many other factors.

Certainly you can not walk around a city looking at people and tell who was breastfed and who wasn't, from their faces.

I was born in the late ‘70s and my sister was born in the early ‘80s. I was breastfed, horribly skinny, got ear infections and colds ALL the time (she didn’t), and my mom decided to try bottle feeding with my sister in hopes she could get a better handle on how much my sister was eating. She was healthier but we both had braces. Any differences in appearance are minimal because some people see us and think we are twins. My sister is a few inches taller and we have slightly different figures, but look *very* similar.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 1,796,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
I know this is slightly off topic but to answer your question the facial difference between those that were breastfed and those that weren't is noticeable. I have noticed that millenial new yorkers have these well developed chins and high cheekbones that were common in people born in the early 20th century and before (when breastfeeding was still commonplace)! Meanwhile baby boomers born in New York have these poorly developed chins and often needed braces as children. Again I point this down to the aggressive pro formula campaigns that occurred in NY between 1930 and 1960.
Face shape has nothing to do with whether a person was breast fed or not. Nor does needing braces. I was bottle fed and needed braces. I also have a well-developed chin and high cheekbones.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 PM

22,230 posts, read 14,977,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What nonsense! I was bottle fed and had a perfect bite. My sister was breastfed and had a huge overbite

Your link is not holding up your 'scientific' claim, it is just propaganda.

We were both born in NYC and the hospitals did not browbeat anyone over breast/bottle feeding in the 1950/60s.

In the 1990's, I had my children in at St. Vincent's in NYC. My beloved obstetrician said infant mortality rates went down when baby formula was introduced. Clean water and baby formula were lifesavers. Far better than relying on a wet nurse. He did not believe in pushing breastfeeding if it wasn't working out.

I've known a quite a few moms whose children lost weight during their first month of life because these moms couldn't produce enough breastmilk.

The only browbeating breastfeeding person was NYC mayor, Mike Bloomberg. He requested hospitals lock up baby formula as if it was a dangerous drug.
Great post for the win!

Nothing is more irritating than people who don't live here (NYC) coming up with all sorts of odd theories based upon their "observations".

Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM

6,812 posts, read 8,232,268 times
Oh please--again the encouragement/discouragement of breastfeeding is not NY specific. The idea that facial shapes varied because of it--nonsense. And just how do you know those people you see are native NYers? You don't.

Both of my children were breastfeed. Both needed braces. I was bottle feed as were my four siblings. Only one of the 5 of us needed braces.

Braces were much more common and available when my children (millennials) were being raised than in my generation. Very few of the kids I grew up with had braces. It was the exception.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:15 PM

52 posts, read 8,617 times
My original question was how on earth did ny go from being so anti breastfeeding in the mid century to so PRO breastfeeding a couple of decades later!!! That a big change in such a short amount of time!!! I think all the trends began in ny. When ny became anti breastfeeding in the late 1920s other states slowly followed suit. When ny became pro breastfeeding in the 1960s other states slowly caught on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or