U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 PM

7,497 posts, read 4,663,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
My original question was how on earth did ny go from being so anti breastfeeding in the mid century to so PRO breastfeeding a couple of decades later!!! That a big change in such a short amount of time!!! I think all the trends began in ny. When ny became anti breastfeeding in the late 1920s other states slowly followed suit. When ny became pro breastfeeding in the 1960s other states slowly caught on.
I think you are overestimating the influence of New York. It doesn't set every trend, even though some people may like to think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 03:09 AM

9,915 posts, read 3,383,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What does this have to do with face shape?

The OP has a very active imagination.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM

11,824 posts, read 5,519,920 times
Quote:
I know this is slightly off topic but to answer your question the facial difference between those that were breastfed and those that weren't is noticeable. I have noticed that millenial new yorkers have these well developed chins and high cheekbones that were common in people born in the early 20th century and before (when breastfeeding was still commonplace)! Meanwhile baby boomers born in New York have these poorly developed chins and often needed braces as children. Again I point this down to the aggressive pro formula campaigns that occurred in NY between 1930 and 1960.
I was a non breast-fed baby in NY in the middle 50's. I have a well developed chin but I did need braces as I had a small jaw and too many teeth. I've had 4 teeth removed (not including the wisdom teeth). My kids, who are now in their 30's were breastfed, both in NY for the first one and FL for the second one. They were both pretty healthy children. I remember my SIL was aghast that I was breastfeeding until she spent a weekend with us and saw how much easier it was to just get the crying baby from his crib and bring him to my room to feed rather than get formula, heat it up, etc. I didn't have to wash bottles or worry about how to keep formula cool when we went out.

The way I look at it, we have breasts for a reason and it's not just for men to look at. Nature is best IMO.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:02 AM

4,600 posts, read 3,093,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you are overestimating the influence of New York. It doesn't set every trend, even though some people may like to think so.
I agree. I've lived in 4 states and no one wants to copy NY. Each area generally has their own trends and traditions.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:16 PM

837 posts, read 219,763 times
I have never heard the bit about facial features being more rounded due to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding does have benefits but that’s not one of them. If you even consider rounded facial features a benefit. What on Earth.

It’s been scientifically proven that breastfeeding is better than bottle feeding. Better for mother and baby. That doesn’t mean that a baby who’s been bottle fed is unhealthy and will go on to have a disadvantaged life.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,583,409 times
a comment on pendulum swings (which I think was the main point of the OP) -- I had a c-section with my first child in 2000. 18 months later, I had a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean). It was my choice, but the medical community was very supportive at that time. 18 months after that, I was told I had to have a c-section again with my third. Same hospital as my second. I had a home birth instead. The research didn't support the need for a c-section again, but no amount of letter writing and research sharing would change the hospital's mind.

Pendulum swings are so prevalent in medicine (and education) in spite of research that typically supports a more thoughtful, case by case approach.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

54 posts, read 9,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was a non breast-fed baby in NY in the middle 50's. I have a well developed chin but I did need braces as I had a small jaw and too many teeth. I've had 4 teeth removed (not including the wisdom teeth). My kids, who are now in their 30's were breastfed, both in NY for the first one and FL for the second one. They were both pretty healthy children. I remember my SIL was aghast that I was breastfeeding until she spent a weekend with us and saw how much easier it was to just get the crying baby from his crib and bring him to my room to feed rather than get formula, heat it up, etc. I didn't have to wash bottles or worry about how to keep formula cool when we went out.

The way I look at it, we have breasts for a reason and it's not just for men to look at. Nature is best IMO.

Yes. I don't think anyone born in the 50s in ny was ever breastfed. But Plenty if not almost all born in New York in the 80s were!! I wonder which decade in New Yorks 20th century history had the highest breastfeeding rates. I bet it was the shoulder padded big haired 80s!

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

54 posts, read 9,037 times
Wow the pendulum did certainly swing for new york with regards to junk food, and childbearing in ny. In the 40s, 50s and 60s parents fed their babies formula as soon was they were released from the womb, fed canned baby foods and raised on boxed foods full of preservatives. In the 1980s new york parents had completely transformed. They wanted to give birth at home, breastfeed their babies until 18 months and raise them on organic food. I reckon new yorkers born in the eighties will live quite long and healthy lives. Most new yorkers who are in their 30s have this gorgeous healthy look. Nice skin, hair, teeth etc. All thanks to their parents breastfeeding them and raising them on better food!!! Good for them!

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

38,493 posts, read 47,374,245 times
I had babies in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. For the first 2, breast feeding was not encouraged. It was only gaining popularity in the 80s, so that was my only breast fed child. Even so, I only lasted about 3 months, until I went back to work. I was more than ready to stop having a baby hanging off me all the time.

I was a post war baby, and I was given formula made with evaporated milk.

Now, my youngest child and all his friends have babies and most of them were nursed for a year or longer.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

1,548 posts, read 493,857 times
Quote:
Wow the pendulum did certainly swing for new york with regards to junk food, and childbearing in ny. In the 40s, 50s and 60s parents fed their babies formula as soon was they were released from the womb, fed canned baby foods and raised on boxed foods full of preservatives. In the 1980s new york parents had completely transformed. They wanted to give birth at home, breastfeed their babies until 18 months and raise them on organic food. I reckon new yorkers born in the eighties will live quite long and healthy lives. Most new yorkers who are in their 30s have this gorgeous healthy look. Nice skin, hair, teeth etc. All thanks to their parents breastfeeding them and raising them on better food!!! Good for them!
WHAT PARALLEL PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON?

As I said my sister was born in NYC IN early 1960 and was breastfed. Many family member born 1950/60's were breastfed.

Junk food? Potato chips, high sugar cereals, donuts, cotton candy, etc. It isn't like these foods have ever gone away in NYC. NYC supermarkets have on Hostess Twinkies, Little Debbie's Fritos corn chips, etc. They have these food because these food SELL. Forget about McDonald's, Burger King, KFC - they are all over NYC.

OP, WHERE ARE YOU?

New Yorkers look like everyone else. If their skin and skin are nicer, it's because NYC has great salons and they have more disposal cash to spend on themselves - which I don't believe anyway. I always had better skin than my breastfed sister and I was bottle fed and I lived on Captain Crunch as a child.

BTW, what is wrong with the rest of the country? According to the OP, you guys don't have decent dental care.

OP, Whole Foods started in AUSTIN, TEXAS - it probably brings more organic foods to Americans than other chain.

Last edited by YorktownGal; Yesterday at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or