U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 AM

15,787 posts, read 18,471,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
I have noticed that millenial new yorkers have these well developed chins and high cheekbones that were common in people born in the early 20th century and before (when breastfeeding was still commonplace)! Meanwhile baby boomers born in New York have these poorly developed chins and often needed braces as children. Again I point this down to the aggressive pro formula campaigns that occurred in NY between 1930 and 1960.
-Notable scientist, Emma Smith
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 10:35 AM

7,566 posts, read 4,700,593 times
Regardless of the OP's idyllic picture, the number of 1980s New Yorkers who had a homebirth, breastfed for 18 months, and fed their child only organic foods must be vanishingly small. In fact, she lost me at the homebirth.

I'm in California, but I'm surrounded by healthy people in their 30s with nice skin, hair, and teeth. Of course they look great--they're in their 30s! It's actually hilarious, to compare the looks of people in their 30s with people in their 60s and 70s, and claim that the 30-somethings look better than the older folks because as babies, they were breastfed.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM

448 posts, read 35,582 times
Yeah... gotta include credible citations for claims like that.

Anecdotally, mothers in the 60’s like mine smoke and drank throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. Family joke - prior to birth, my brother would get hiccups when my mom drank champagne (which was always).

Breastfed like a champ. We absorbed the gin and tonics and Lucky Strikes just as well, sadly.

When I had my first, I had a friend who was in - I think it was called La Leche League? Held meetings. I went to one. It was frighteningly militant. I just breastfed without the politics. Awareness is needed - why doctors can’t handle that primarily I don’t know. I knew women who wouldn’t do it for fear of ruining their perkiness. Well, priorities are what they are. Some are idiotic or uninformed.

I had trouble with my second - mastitis. Had a nurse come and show me how to do my own IV... my knuckles bled from biting them through the pain while nursing my wee one. I had to stop sooner. She’s petite. Okay, that’s common in women. She’s doing her apprenticeship in the state Senate right now.

What they eat and how they’re taught to relate to food in early years is as crucial. Personally, I ate a lot of dirt playing outside. I’m still here.

Next?

Old 01-12-2020, 02:05 PM

7,057 posts, read 3,888,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Yeah... gotta include credible citations for claims like that.

Anecdotally, mothers in the 60’s like mine smoke and drank throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. Family joke - prior to birth, my brother would get hiccups when my mom drank champagne (which was always).

Breastfed like a champ. We absorbed the gin and tonics and Lucky Strikes just as well, sadly.

When I had my first, I had a friend who was in - I think it was called La Leche League? Held meetings. I went to one. It was frighteningly militant. I just breastfed without the politics. Awareness is needed - why doctors can’t handle that primarily I don’t know. I knew women who wouldn’t do it for fear of ruining their perkiness. Well, priorities are what they are. Some are idiotic or uninformed.

I had trouble with my second - mastitis. Had a nurse come and show me how to do my own IV... my knuckles bled from biting them through the pain while nursing my wee one. I had to stop sooner. She’s petite. Okay, that’s common in women. She’s doing her apprenticeship in the state Senate right now.

What they eat and how they’re taught to relate to food in early years is as crucial. Personally, I ate a lot of dirt playing outside. I’m still here.

Next?
I was born in 1948 in NYC. Only child. Mom did not breastfeed me at all. "Modern" then was that concoction of Carnation Milk and water. Maybe why I had all of childhood diseases before the age of 2? No maternal antibodies passed on to me?

I formula fed my older daughter born 1979 in NYC. The hospital neither encouraged nor discouraged breastfeeding, but all new mothers were given a package of formula and some bottles. Daughter was kept in the nursery and not in room with me.

Younger daughter was born 1984. It had started to change by then. She was in the room with me. I could breastfeed her anytime she needed to nurse. The hospital did not give her formula. If a mother wanted to nurse her baby, they encouraged it.

I joined La Leche League for advice since none of my older relatives had ever breastfed. Very grateful I did. When my younger daughter was 9 months old (eating solids and still nursing) she caught a nororvirus from her older sister, and my husband. Her Pediatrician said to give her Pedialyte which she vomited. He said NOT TO NURSE HER. that she would dehydrate, and have to be hospitalized. All she wanted to do was nurse and kept down the breast milk. I got a lot of flack from my husband and and inlaws for not following doctor's advice. My Carnation feeding Mom was far more supportive. Do what works for you and your daughter.

I called La Leche League who gave me the name of another doctor. He said as long as she was not vomiting the breast milk, let her nurse as much as she wanted to. "She won't dehydrate if she is nursing round the clock. Daughter nursed every 2 hours for 24 hours like a Newborn and was fine. She actually GAINED weight.

I nursed her until she was 2 years old in 1986, and of course, she ate sold foods then as well. My in-laws always said she looked like a plucked chicken as an infant. Give her some formula. When I said this to her La Leche League recommended Pediatrician, he just laughed and said to look in a mirror at my 100 lb. self.

Today my now adult breasfed daughter has no problem with her size 3, 36/26/36 figure, while her older formula fed
sister is constantly battling her weight. You tell me which is better?

Old 01-12-2020, 02:20 PM

1,609 posts, read 512,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Today my now adult breasfed daughter has no problem with her size 3, 36/26/36 figure, while her older formula fed

Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM

7,566 posts, read 4,700,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Correlation does not imply causation.
Yeah, my formula-fed sister (the rest of us were breast-fed) has the best figure of the four of us sisters. Tiny waist and 32D. Go figure.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:17 PM

448 posts, read 35,582 times
Quote:
I was born in 1948 in NYC. Only child. Mom did not breastfeed me at all. "Modern" then was that concoction of Carnation Milk and water. Maybe why I had all of childhood diseases before the age of 2? No maternal antibodies passed on to me?

I formula fed my older daughter born 1979 in NYC. The hospital neither encouraged nor discouraged breastfeeding, but all new mothers were given a package of formula and some bottles. Daughter was kept in the nursery and not in room with me.

Younger daughter was born 1984. It had started to change by then. She was in the room with me. I could breastfeed her anytime she needed to nurse. The hospital did not give her formula. If a mother wanted to nurse her baby, they encouraged it.

I joined La Leche League for advice since none of my older relatives had ever breastfed. Very grateful I did. When my younger daughter was 9 months old (eating solids and still nursing) she caught a nororvirus from her older sister, and my husband. Her Pediatrician said to give her Pedialyte which she vomited. He said NOT TO NURSE HER. that she would dehydrate, and have to be hospitalized. All she wanted to do was nurse and kept down the breast milk. I got a lot of flack from my husband and and inlaws for not following doctor's advice. My Carnation feeding Mom was far more supportive. Do what works for you and your daughter.

I called La Leche League who gave me the name of another doctor. He said as long as she was not vomiting the breast milk, let her nurse as much as she wanted to. "She won't dehydrate if she is nursing round the clock. Daughter nursed every 2 hours for 24 hours like a Newborn and was fine. She actually GAINED weight.

I nursed her until she was 2 years old in 1986, and of course, she ate sold foods then as well. My in-laws always said she looked like a plucked chicken as an infant. Give her some formula. When I said this to her La Leche League recommended Pediatrician, he just laughed and said to look in a mirror at my 100 lb. self.

Hey there, Jo48!

Oh my gosh, your poor baby! Why... in what universe, did they push that on you? You sound like a great mom... Heh.., I was 120 - 5’8” huge babies (I thought) 9.8/9.6 respectively. My brother and I were tiny too barely 7 each - all the liquor and smokes, likely had a role.

I wasn’t condemning the whole thing - I should have made that more clear. I apologize. The meetings I went to were... scary. If anything, they may have frightened some off!

Whatever keeps them alive and healthy is better. Breastfeeding is always best, clearly (unless the infant would be ingesting more toxins/drugs from the mum). I had to give milk away with my first, so they helped me with that. But the shouting and requirements and vows... it scared me. They hurt themselves. The one group I was part of.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM

2,455 posts, read 1,591,865 times
Quote:
My husband was born about 10 years after you and was also fed that concoction. Anecdotally, he's struggled with weight. But he's healthy. I was the only one of 5 kids who was nursed the longest. My siblings like to joke that's why I'm so much "smarter" than they are (they are all perfectly smart). My mother said the hospital pushed nursing in the early 70s when I was born (and they also told her to drink beer because the hops would help her produce breastmilk-- my mother, who hated beer, drank it just for me ). I have always been more slender than my older sister, but not than my brothers.

There are always stories we could pull out that prove whatever point we're trying to make.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM

57 posts, read 9,961 times
So when did breastfeeding rates hit rock bottom in the state of ny? Around then late 40s early 50s? I think by the early 60s the la leche league had taken root and consequently breastfeeding rates began to rise in ny. By the early 70s breastfeeding was widely accepted again. Evidenly by the 80s it was as ubiquitous as electricity. I wonder if rates dipped slightly again in the 90s?

Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM

16,484 posts, read 18,558,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Hey there, Jo48!

Oh my gosh, your poor baby! Why... in what universe, did they push that on you? You sound like a great mom... Heh.., I was 120 - 5’8” huge babies (I thought) 9.8/9.6 respectively. My brother and I were tiny too barely 7 each - all the liquor and smokes, likely had a role.

I wasn’t condemning the whole thing - I should have made that more clear. I apologize. The meetings I went to were... scary. If anything, they may have frightened some off!

Whatever keeps them alive and healthy is better. Breastfeeding is always best, clearly (unless the infant would be ingesting more toxins/drugs from the mum). I had to give milk away with my first, so they helped me with that. But the shouting and requirements and vows... it scared me. They hurt themselves. The one group I was part of.
I have no idea what you are talking about with vows, requirements or shouting. That was not the La Leche League I joined in 1971. We just had a nice gathering where we brought our babies and could nurse them in the presence of other women who were nursing. If we needed advice on something we asked and moms who had been at it for a while would give advice. I was fortunate the for me, nursing was easy and natural. I found it so much easier than bringing formula and bottles with me when I went out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or