Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:59 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
In the 1930s 40s and 50s the hospitals in New York actively discouraged mothers from breastfeeding. They said things like "it's not enough" or worse... "it's a low class thing to do". Hospitals essentially bullied women into not breastfeeding.
No wonder breastfeeding rates in New York hit rock bottom at just 19%in 1950.

What a contrast to the late 70s,80s and 90s when hospitals in New York practically forced/bullied mothers to breastfeed or "else".
A lot of New Yorkers I speak to in their 30s (85%) say they were breastfed as babies and it really shows in their rounded facial features compared to New Yorkers in their 70s (mostly bottle fed) who just look different aside from their age differences.

Isn't it amazing how hospital advice to mothers in ny turned around so much in just a couple of decades with regards to feeding practices? Share your stories if you can please.
There is no connection between breast feeding and facial shape. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
I know this is slightly off topic but to answer your question the facial difference between those that were breastfed and those that weren't is noticeable. I have noticed that millenial new yorkers have these well developed chins and high cheekbones that were common in people born in the early 20th century and before (when breastfeeding was still commonplace)! Meanwhile baby boomers born in New York have these poorly developed chins and often needed braces as children. Again I point this down to the aggressive pro formula campaigns that occurred in NY between 1930 and 1960.
Respectfully, I disagree about people in the 30s with well defined chins - there's plenty of photos of folks from back then with Mitch McConnell chins. It could be argued it's a Kentucky attribute like a Hapsburg chin
But anyway remember beards hid alot of chins on guys too.

I'm not disputing though that the pro-formula campaigns may or may not have caused these chins and bad teeth, though. I just don't think it's provable.

Relative to gen Z, Y, X, and millennial (younger to older), their food was infused with corn, corn and more corn so they're pretty much XL people (shorter life expectancy than boomers too). They look like Michelin men and the extra fat just looks like high cheekbones - that happens with any age, though.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What does this have to do with face shape?
Absolutely NOTHING. I'm still laughing.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:58 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
I know this is slightly off topic but to answer your question the facial difference between those that were breastfed and those that weren't is noticeable. I have noticed that millenial new yorkers have these well developed chins and high cheekbones that were common in people born in the early 20th century and before (when breastfeeding was still commonplace)! Meanwhile baby boomers born in New York have these poorly developed chins and often needed braces as children. Again I point this down to the aggressive pro formula campaigns that occurred in NY between 1930 and 1960.
My bottlefed son didn't need braces and my breastfed (until she was 3!) daughter desperately needed them. Also, my daughter inherited my husband's angular face, while my son inherited my more rounded one. I think your theory is a bit off, there. LOL

Old 01-26-2020, 08:18 PM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
. By the late 60s breastfeeding rated had more than doubled (to 40%) in New York because of the creation of the la leche league coupled with the rise of the hippies.

Almost every millenial new yorker was nursed by their mother while they were a baby and almost every new yorker born in the 40s and very early 50s were fed from a bottle and never had a chance to taste even a single drop of mom's milk.

My kids are millennials, New Yorkers and not breastfeed. Wow!

I must know every single bottle kid in NY! Like my friend's son who almost didn't survive. His mom breastfeed but she didn't produce enough milk! He lost too much weight.

Because everyone else was breastfeed. EVERYONE.

Jeez, do you realize like you sound like a teenager trying to convince her parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting