Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 02:52 PM

63 posts, read 31,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was born in 1948 in NYC. Only child. Mom did not breastfeed me at all. "Modern" then was that concoction of Carnation Milk and water. Maybe why I had all of childhood diseases before the age of 2? No maternal antibodies passed on to me?

I formula fed my older daughter born 1979 in NYC. The hospital neither encouraged nor discouraged breastfeeding, but all new mothers were given a package of formula and some bottles. Daughter was kept in the nursery and not in room with me.

Younger daughter was born 1984. It had started to change by then. She was in the room with me. I could breastfeed her anytime she needed to nurse. The hospital did not give her formula. If a mother wanted to nurse her baby, they encouraged it.

I joined La Leche League for advice since none of my older relatives had ever breastfed. Very grateful I did. When my younger daughter was 9 months old (eating solids and still nursing) she caught a nororvirus from her older sister, and my husband. Her Pediatrician said to give her Pedialyte which she vomited. He said NOT TO NURSE HER. that she would dehydrate, and have to be hospitalized. All she wanted to do was nurse and kept down the breast milk. I got a lot of flack from my husband and and inlaws for not following doctor's advice. My Carnation feeding Mom was far more supportive. Do what works for you and your daughter.

I called La Leche League who gave me the name of another doctor. He said as long as she was not vomiting the breast milk, let her nurse as much as she wanted to. "She won't dehydrate if she is nursing round the clock. Daughter nursed every 2 hours for 24 hours like a Newborn and was fine. She actually GAINED weight.

I nursed her until she was 2 years old in 1986, and of course, she ate sold foods then as well. My in-laws always said she looked like a plucked chicken as an infant. Give her some formula. When I said this to her La Leche League recommended Pediatrician, he just laughed and said to look in a mirror at my 100 lb. self.

Today my now adult breasfed daughter has no problem with her size 3, 36/26/36 figure, while her older formula fed
sister is constantly battling her weight. You tell me which is better?

The post war years were awful. No breastfeeding allowed. Ddt in produce. Unregulated food additives. No wonder people are so unhealthy who were born during that era!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:56 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
The post war years were awful. No breastfeeding allowed. Ddt in produce. Unregulated food additives. No wonder people are so unhealthy who were born during that era!
My oldest brother was born in 1947. He was breastfed. He's now 72 and healthy as a horse.

Try again.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
You must be quite old to have first hand knowledge about that.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:20 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Assuming you meant post World War II - 1945 to 1960(?). These people are 75 to 60 years old now. There is no medical source that these people are unhealthy. It's not like they are suddenly keeling over on NYC buses or in their beds.

As for unregulated food additives?

Most junk food is unchanged since 1940's. Before 1940's, I was upset when Coca-Cola took cocaine out of its formula. Its has never been the same

Old 01-13-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My oldest brother was born in 1947. He was breastfed. He's now 72 and healthy as a horse.

Try again.
If he was breastfed in that era then he almost certainly wasn't born in ny that's for sure!!

Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Assuming you meant post World War II - 1945 to 1960(?). These people are 75 to 60 years old now. There is no medical source that these people are unhealthy. It's not like they are suddenly keeling over on NYC buses or in their beds.

As for unregulated food additives?

Most junk food is unchanged since 1940's. Before 1940's, I was upset when Coca-Cola took cocaine out of its formula. Its has never been the same
Whenever I look at pictures of ny in the 1950s the amount of hot dog stands, burger shops, bakeries selling doughnuts and soda bars were amazing. Ny was so ahead of its time when it came to anything modern.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
If he was breastfed in that era then he almost certainly wasn't born in ny that's for sure!!
Do you somehow think NYC comprises the entire state of NY?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:40 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Whenever I look at pictures of ny in the 1950s the amount of hot dog stands, burger shops, bakeries selling doughnuts and soda bars were amazing. Ny was so ahead of its time when it came to anything modern.
Jeez, if looking at photos of NYC is your reference point, fahgettaboudit

I love NY and can wax poetically about NY to ad nauseum, but it isn't any more modern that the rest of the country.

Since I don't get your fantasy, you must be a troll.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:29 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
You do realize that people still consume things like hot dogs, burgers baked goods and soda today ?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 AM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
No, you're quite right; he was born in a little backwards hick town where mothers still breastfed....Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting