Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

My grandma came to the states from Ireland in 1950 and was a nurse. She also looked breastfed her kids.

It’s amazing to me that something so natural between a mother and baby that has been proven to be the healthiest option could have been viewed as low class. Sad. I know my dads mother and her daughters fell victim to this way of thinking and they missed out. Those women passed it on to their daughters as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 AM

63 posts, read 31,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, you're quite right; he was born in a little backwards hick town where mothers still breastfed....Chicago.
Yes I'm sure common sense at the time still prevailed in Chicago. However breastfeeding also didn't become the go to method in Chicago until the 2000s. Trends happen in ny earlier. In that regards outhouses were still common in Chicago until the 50s. Chicago was never as wealthy or trendy as ny.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
If he was breastfed in that era then he almost certainly wasn't born in ny that's for sure!!
You are making some very extreme statements.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
My dh was born in Brooklyn in 1942 and lived on Long Island and was breastfed.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Yes I'm sure common sense at the time still prevailed in Chicago. However breastfeeding also didn't become the go to method in Chicago until the 2000s. Trends happen in ny earlier. In that regards outhouses were still common in Chicago until the 50s. Chicago was never as wealthy or trendy as ny.
Are. you. serious? I worked in downstate Illinois (Champaign) in the 1970s. I worked in both OB and public health, and I'm here to tell you breastfeeding was very popular there, especially among the "crunchy" moms from the U of I.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM

From what I have gathered trends go in cycles and come right around. What is old becomes new again. For example in New York with the case of breastfeeding it rates were around 80% in 1900 for new mothers when they started out . Of course even back then some capitalists on Madison avenue touted new formulas to supplement mothers milk. When babies drank from bottles a lot of them still died from infections.

Then with the increasing rated a of hospital births and the blind acceptance "of scientific and progressive twilight sleep" the rates rapidly declined so much that by 1950 breastfeeding rates in the Empire state reached a nadir of 19%. By the late 60s breastfeeding rated had more than doubled (to 40%) in New York because of the creation of the la leche league coupled with the rise of the hippies.
By 1990 breastfeeding rates were even higher (85%) than at the start of the 20th century because if the clear evidence of the benefits of human milk for infants than cows milk. Almost every millenial new yorker was nursed by their mother while they were a baby and almost every new yorker born in the 40s and very early 50s were fed from a bottle and never had a chance to taste even a single drop of mom's milk. Just like homeade wood fired sourdough bread, grass-fed liver, raw milk and einkhorn wheat are trendy and popular nowadats in the big apple and the surrounding area. It's only a matter of time before living without electricity, running water, cars and central heating and the like become en vogue in good old ny!

Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
It's only a matter of time before living without electricity, running water, cars and central heating and the like become en vogue in good old ny!

You've had your fun. Now quit trolling.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 PM

I'm not trolling. I am simply discussing trends and changes that occur in a particular place that fascinates me. In this case the place is NY (not just the city but the whole state. That state seems to be the trendsetter before other states follow suit. Some californians may disagree with me on this.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I'm not trolling. I am simply discussing trends and changes that occur in a particular place that fascinates me. In this case the place is NY (not just the city but the whole state. That state seems to be the trendsetter before other states follow suit. Some californians may disagree with me on this.
Oh, gag me! We moved from Colorado to NY (Albany). We called it "the old country". Everything is very much "tradition" there. Moved back to Colorado.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What does this have to do with face shape?
Greater development of facial musculature due to having to work harder to get milk out of a breast than out of a bottle. And California is the social trendsetter in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting