Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

I moved to Texas 3.5 years ago to be with my now fiancé. He has two children from a previous marriage. Long story short their mother lost custody of the 17 year old daughter, and she now lives with my fiancé and I. She has been with us for 2 years. She just recently moved back in with us, because 2 months ago she had snuck a boy in through her bedroom window (she was 16 the also) and I caught him in her bed. I gave her the choice to live by our rules or get out (it has been a never ending battle with her, and THIS is one of the lesser problems we have with her). She didn't even know this boy only had spoke to him in snapchat, and we hadn't a clue who he was or even how old he was. Anyhow, long story short she convinced herself she could "do it on her own" and was couch hopping for 2 months, until she found a new boyfriend who moved her in with him. They split because well they're 17 and 18 and living together in his grandmas house, and he is still texting his 14 YEAR OLD GIRLFRIEND (he's 18) and so her father and I told her to come home, she is our child after all and we do love her. But anyway, she knows i don't want her to leave again so she is taking advantage and asking me to allow her to do things that before I would NEVER allow her to do. (I say I but I mean, we, her father and I) We have ran into some financial issues and plan to move back to my hometown where my family is and get a new start on life somewhere new. My plan was to not tell her until last minute, like the same day were leaving out of fear she will run away and prevent us from leaving. If we do not leave, we will be homeless. My fiancé and I have a 2 year old together as well. We just don't have the resources here that i have back home. He was laid off from an amazing job that paid well enough for us to live, not super comfortable, paycheck to paycheck still because of back support and what not, but we were living. She is very selfish when it comes to what she wants versus what we need to do. My question is this, if i tell her we are leaving and she decides to run away, we can not leave the state without her, correct? Wont it be considered abandonment? I don't want to leave her behind, I treat her as if she is my own, and i believe she is still a CHILD she is NOT of age, she needs to be with us. I need help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 04:43 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Don’t spring it on her last minute that sounds cruel, besides she could also refused to go at that point. How much longer till she’s 18? Star by helping her to figure out what she wants to be and do for the next few years. Help her to head on that direction. Tell her the whys of your move, she’s old enough to understand finances. Compare and contrast for her the opportunities she has in both places. The new move offers her a chance to start over without people judging her. Figure out if she can stay with someone till the school year is over if you move before. Remember she may be young and rash, but she feels like an adult in her mind, give her adult things to think about and help guide her

Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Is she attending school? If she is, I would move heaven and earth to make sure she finishes in place.

If not, then I agree with hothulamaui, lay out the limited options she is facing, and involve her in planning her future.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,601 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'll compose a thoughtful answer if the OP checks back in on this thread.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I would tell her that you have no choice but to move due to financial issues.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Legally, she can leave home at 17. It's not running away, it's leaving home. But I would have that discussion with her ASAP about the fact that you need to move, her life goals, what she wants. You need to help her to become equipped to support herself so that she won't need to rely on a man for food, clothing, shelter, transportation, etc.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:09 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
You gave her the option to live by your rules or get out and were surprised when she chose to get out?

Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Paragraphs are your friend, OP.

If this girl is a senior in high school, I would do everything possible to remain where you are until she graduates (which would only be, what, 4 months from now?) If you can't stay even for that length of time, perhaps you can find a friend who would be willing to let her crash on their couch for 4 months.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdaysMamaPlus2 View Post
I moved to Texas 3.5 years ago to be with my now fiancé. He has two children from a previous marriage. Long story short their mother lost custody of the 17 year old daughter, and she now lives with my fiancé and I. She has been with us for 2 years. She just recently moved back in with us, because 2 months ago she had snuck a boy in through her bedroom window (she was 16 the also) and I caught him in her bed. I gave her the choice to live by our rules or get out (it has been a never ending battle with her, and THIS is one of the lesser problems we have with her). She didn't even know this boy only had spoke to him in snapchat, and we hadn't a clue who he was or even how old he was. Anyhow, long story short she convinced herself she could "do it on her own" and was couch hopping for 2 months, until she found a new boyfriend who moved her in with him. They split because well they're 17 and 18 and living together in his grandmas house, and he is still texting his 14 YEAR OLD GIRLFRIEND (he's 18) and so her father and I told her to come home, she is our child after all and we do love her. But anyway, she knows i don't want her to leave again so she is taking advantage and asking me to allow her to do things that before I would NEVER allow her to do. (I say I but I mean, we, her father and I) We have ran into some financial issues and plan to move back to my hometown where my family is and get a new start on life somewhere new. My plan was to not tell her until last minute, like the same day were leaving out of fear she will run away and prevent us from leaving. If we do not leave, we will be homeless. My fiancé and I have a 2 year old together as well. We just don't have the resources here that i have back home. He was laid off from an amazing job that paid well enough for us to live, not super comfortable, paycheck to paycheck still because of back support and what not, but we were living. She is very selfish when it comes to what she wants versus what we need to do. My question is this, if i tell her we are leaving and she decides to run away, we can not leave the state without her, correct? Wont it be considered abandonment? I don't want to leave her behind, I treat her as if she is my own, and i believe she is still a CHILD she is NOT of age, she needs to be with us. I need help!!
Shes just parroting you and her Dad who aren't married. With a little more experience and age, she will get better at living with guys. Agree, she still is a child. Probably should consult with an attorney about what could happen to her dad about abandonment.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is she attending school? If she is, I would move heaven and earth to make sure she finishes in place.

If not, then I agree with hothulamaui, lay out the limited options she is facing, and involve her in planning her future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Paragraphs are your friend, OP.

If this girl is a senior in high school, I would do everything possible to remain where you are until she graduates (which would only be, what, 4 months from now?) If you can't stay even for that length of time, perhaps you can find a friend who would be willing to let her crash on their couch for 4 months.
These.

Sounds as if she's had a lot of disruption in her life already. Try not to add more.

And absolutely do not spring it on her last minute. That's both cruel and demeaning. Why would she ever trust either of you after that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting