Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 12:31 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
How is it that she is even still employed with such terrible anxiety? Isn't it amazing that for someone who needs help with a child can seem to hold down a full time job?

I hope there are no plans for Child #3.

Your daughter will eventually come around.....(when she needs something). I hope you and your wife can recharge your batteries with a trip North, South, East or West. Wherever you go, make it only about the two of you.

Good luck.
Is her husband helping out a lot? I have a friend who gets anxiety, BUT it is because her husband is gone much of the time and then when he is home, he goes off with friends for some festival or to get beers instead of pitching in with the kids. It is no wonder. Having kids is a two-person operation and the son-in-law needs to contribute more if he isn’t already. It isn’t up to the grandparents to take over for him. Maybe the daughter needs to come up with a better way to split duties if they haven’t done so already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 01:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
How is it that she is even still employed with such terrible anxiety? Isn't it amazing that for someone who needs help with a child can seem to hold down a full time job?
It's not just amazing, it's awfully hard to believe.

I think there's some Oscar-worthy acting going on whenever daughter wants something from her parents. Does she suffer from anxiety? Probably, to some degree. Does she uses that to manipulate people? Absolutely.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:35 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Where is your wife on this? Did she ask you to speak on her/your household's behalf?

It seems weird you did not sit down as a group and discuss the childcare situation & what changes could be made to benefit everyone.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM

19 posts, read 9,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why do anything? Why not just let things stay as they are? Your daughter will figure out sooner or later than an apology is not coming. That's up to her to deal with. Focus on supporting your wife.

This. And practice saying "your problems are not my problems".

Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
How is it that she is even still employed with such terrible anxiety?

Isn't it amazing that for someone who needs help with a child can seem to hold down a full time job?
snip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's not just amazing, it's awfully hard to believe.

I think there's some Oscar-worthy acting going on whenever daughter wants something from her parents. Does she suffer from anxiety? Probably, to some degree. Does she uses that to manipulate people? Absolutely.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:26 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Op? ya coming back anytime soon? I'd love to ask some questions and perhaps get a better grasp of this challenge.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
150k isn't that much money in some areas but it is enough. It's not that she can't afford childcare, it's that she doesn't want to, and would prefer to use you guys...for free. Most everyone struggles financially with kids, especially young kids.

The anxiety fuels the issues obviously. And like others said, we don't know your wife's stance.

I'm sure you go back and forth between compassion and feeling taken advantage of. I have no more advice other than to be aware and set boundaries.

Best of luck.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
My bipolar sister-in-law worked at a company where employees had lifetime (until age 62) contracts.

On day, she "saw" vomit in her office and called security. She never understood now security did not see the vomit. She had hallucinations, but she had a lifetime contract.

I am sure the Americans with Disabilities Act prevents many ill people from being fired.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Look up your local NAMI chapter and find a family support group.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:40 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
I would not say anything because you might ruin the relationship. My kids know that Im brutally honest Dad. After they left the house for marriage the dynamic changed because of the spouse(He or she does not know me like my kids)

I think these young adults have realized parenting and marriage is not so easy after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting