U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 06:33 AM

15,378 posts, read 13,218,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
My kids 3, and 7 year old are shy, tend to avoid eye contact and not good in social situations. Do you know if there are programs out there that teaches kids with social skills? My 7 year old daughter is in GATE program, extremely good in math but I realize that Emotional Intelligence is much more important for her overall happiness and career success. Weak Emotional Intelligence is also something that I struggle with even though I am very successful in my engineering career.

I am current reading a few emotional intelligence books and trying to help mainly my 7 year old with a few activities:
* Asking my 7 year old to describe and write down her feelings each day
* Learn new words to describe feelings other than happy and sad, color images of facial expression and body language of various feelings. This came from emotional intelligence books for kids
* Set up more playdates, at least once a week so she can practice social skills
* Thinking about enrolling her into girl scout

What other activities or training program do you recommend?

Thanks,
I was a very shy child myself and still am shy at 72 believe it or not... what I found some time ago was doing drama and acting helped me a lot.. but only in that scenario....as soon as the acting stopped I was back to me..being shy is also a charming thing. as not many now seem to possess it..
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:19 AM

38,690 posts, read 47,588,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
My kids 3, and 7 year old are shy, tend to avoid eye contact and not good in social situations. Do you know if there are programs out there that teaches kids with social skills? My 7 year old daughter is in GATE program, extremely good in math but I realize that Emotional Intelligence is much more important for her overall happiness and career success. Weak Emotional Intelligence is also something that I struggle with even though I am very successful in my engineering career.

I am current reading a few emotional intelligence books and trying to help mainly my 7 year old with a few activities:
* Asking my 7 year old to describe and write down her feelings each day
* Learn new words to describe feelings other than happy and sad, color images of facial expression and body language of various feelings. This came from emotional intelligence books for kids
* Set up more playdates, at least once a week so she can practice social skills
* Thinking about enrolling her into girl scout

What other activities or training program do you recommend?

Thanks,
I think it’s way too early to worry about how socially “ept” your little kids are. They will blossom as they gain confidence in new situations.

What I would do is to expose them to as many new people and situations as possible, including ways in which they can learn empathy for others. Girl Scouts is a great idea, Sunday School if you are church goers, kids crafts at your art museum, etc.

I raised 4 kids. Some are more social than others, but we taught them to “fake it til you make it.” For example, when they met adults they were expected to stand up, look the person in the eye and shake their hand. If a kid knows how to do that, they have the tools to get through most social situations. They were also taught that it costs nothing to be kind to others.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or