U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:34 AM

6,155 posts, read 6,854,949 times

Advertisements

Why are some people like this?-b5b7e0f0-473d-49aa-972b-6c47cb64bb04.jpeg

Scrolling through my timeline and I came across this.
I don’t get why some people are so hell bent on making cleaning as miserable as possible, when you should try and make it as enjoyable as possible.I’ve listened to music or watched tv while I cleaned since I started having to do chores, like since I was a toddler.

As a teenager I couldn’t clean without my iPod and putting on the perfect playlist and popping my earbuds in.
As tech got better I started watching tv on my laptop. It helped me focus, I could clean longer, I was happier while I cleaned. Now I don’t do a single load of dishes or laundry without music or a tv show. Can’t do that with your devices at the bottom of the hamper and no WiFi now can you?

I just don’t get how people use music and tv as a reward for cleaning when in my opinion that’s the only way to clean. I don’t have a dishwasher and have trouble staying focused and motivated to stand there the time it takes to do them, unless I put my laptop on the counter and watch Netflix. If I’m out of shows I’ll just listen to music.

I guess this annoys me so bad because my boyfriend is the total opposite from me. He doesn’t even like talking while cleaning around the house because he feels talking is distracting and slows him down. Meanwhile I’m in the kitchen bumpin Destiny’s Child, snacking, cleaning, talking on the phone etc.

Maybe if parents didn’t make chore time so miserable like this their kids would actually do chores. IJS

Old Today, 05:51 AM

4,461 posts, read 1,950,050 times
People enforce boundaries in different ways. If it doesn't affect the relationship, I am not sure why it matters.

Old Today, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
People enforce boundaries in different ways. If it doesn't affect the relationship, I am not sure why it matters.
I guess because I don’t get how some people can take work that’s boring and make it even worse for themselves or others on purpose.

Your phone shouldn’t be dead at the bottom of a hamper while you clean.
It should be in your pocket, playing the music you have on it, listening to a podcast, catching up with a friend, something.

Old Today, 06:11 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,053,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I guess because I don’t get how some people can take work that’s boring and make it even worse for themselves or others on purpose.

Your phone shouldn’t be dead at the bottom of a hamper while you clean.
It should be in your pocket, playing the music you have on it, listening to a podcast, catching up with a friend, something.
Because some kids are lazy and wont clean without incentive like this.

Old Today, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Because some kids are lazy and wont clean without incentive like this.
I wouldn’t clean unless I had music or the tv on. I always had to at least have music and don’t say the radio, with the radio you can’t choose what to listen to, you just have to listen to whatever songs they play, with your phone you can play anything. It’s all commercials and repetitive music anyways. I didn’t have an iPod with all that music for no reason.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

22,200 posts, read 23,796,206 times
My guess is this isn't just something mom thought up for the fun if it.

How many times do you think mom asked for these chores to be done before resorting to this?

You may ask "why do parents do things like this?"....others might ask "why do kids not do what they are asked the first three times they are asked and force us to do this to get their attention?"

Old Today, 11:28 AM

6,003 posts, read 3,946,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I wouldn’t clean unless I had music or the tv on. I always had to at least have music and don’t say the radio, with the radio you can’t choose what to listen to, you just have to listen to whatever songs they play, with your phone you can play anything. It’s all commercials and repetitive music anyways. I didn’t have an iPod with all that music for no reason.
I bet you would if your phone/iPod was taken away as a consequence for not cleaning. Also, wiping a bathroom, emptying the dishwasher, taking out the trash, and throwing away an empty cereal box take a total of about 15 minutes, or about the length of four songs... and that is if it's just one kid. It looks like there are two or more being addressed here. I'm sure they will manage to get it done and live to tell the tale. I have had the experience of a kid whining and moaning for 15 minutes before finally just getting a 3-minute job done, though, so if my kids are anything like these kids, it might take hours.

The good news here, though, is that if you ever have children, you can handle chores however you want! That is the wonder of being in charge of raising another human being. I, too, was the best parent ever before I had children, so I see where you're coming from. I hope you write down all of your best tips now to use when you're in the parenting trenches. If nothing else, you'll at least get a giggle out of it.

Old Today, 12:02 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,958,528 times
Maybe she has tried letting them do it with their phones and it hasn't worked. My daughter claims she's listening to music, but when she's making painfully little progress cleaning, it's obvious that she's succumbing to the endless barrage of texts she's getting from friends.

So now my kids have a time limit to get things done or they lose the phone.. My other option was literally stand over them and watch them clean, which I'm not about to do.

Old Today, 12:08 PM

7,832 posts, read 10,874,686 times
Not appropriate forum for this OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or