U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 09:36 PM

10 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
In kindergarten I was regularly punched in the stomach by a boy named Scott Parker. I'm clueless why he chose me to be the one that he punched; I guess if he hit another boy they would punch him back. He was eventually removed from class but it didn't stop him until he was kicked out of school.

I'm going to be 54 in a month and still remember the punches, I wasn't much older then your daughter. If it doesn't stop, your daughter could potentially have memories of this girl hitting her with the school not stepping up for the rest of her life too. She is being bullied.
Thank you for sharing, some people will scoff at it..But it was the failure of adults protecting you. I am so sorry that you still recall this as your earliest memories..Thank you for speaking up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 06:50 AM

4,512 posts, read 1,968,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerElla View Post
I don’t think so, no. It’s to let the child know how you feel when you are hit. It’s to help the other child develop empathy and encourage dialog instead of retaliation. The school says the other child is still developing her empathy ( they’re 3), but I’m just concerned that my child keeps getting hurt. And yet I want her to learn to stand up for herself. Another parent told me she saw my child stand up strongly and say “no!” when she was hit. So that’s good. I want her to know that she’ll encounter people like this all her life but that she can handle it. But how much is too much?
That's great and all but do the children understand these concepts? Those are big messages to be figured out by the children. They learn through modeling by watching every detail.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:23 AM

11,470 posts, read 15,098,368 times
Quote:
My daughter started a new preschool this past September and loved it in the beginning. But she started coming home complaining about being pushed and hit by another little girl. She started resisting going to school. I tried to bolster her confidence letting her know that this should not be happening and telling her to confront the girl and tell her “No!” At the same time I let the school know this was happening. The school tries to encourage the children to work out things by sharing how they feel with the other child and offering a peace token. This helped and I think gave my daughter a sense of confidence and control. We initiated a play date with the other little girl - it turned out she had liked my daughter all along and calls her “her best friend” and apparently that was how she expressed this feeling. However last week, she hit my daughter with an object causing bruising. I’m just wondering, how long do I let this go on? They are 3 going on 4. What is age appropriate? How much do I keep expecting and encouraging my daughter to handle it with the other child?
So everyone is saying to let the school handle it in the moment. My question is this only happening at school or did it also occur during the play date? Where was your daughter when she was hit with the object?

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 1,201 times
There was no hitting during the play date. She was hit with a book in the classroom.

Old Today, 09:03 AM

46,616 posts, read 44,968,786 times
Quote:
There was no hitting during the play date. She was hit with a book in the classroom.
Have you spoken to the school director yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or