U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM
 
1,790 posts, read 1,766,400 times
Reputation: 2711

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It doesn’t take Rambo to handle drug dealers. I’ve been doing it for two decades. Most are about as tough as a limp piece of spaghetti.
I'm assuming you work in law enforcement. You should know then about NY's retreat doctrine.

Last edited by charmed hour; 02-11-2020 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
10,326 posts, read 8,039,090 times
Reputation: 10124
NY does not have a duty to retreat within ones home as long as the homeowner is not the instigator of the incident. That’s a misconception.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 02-12-2020 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 04:19 AM
 
776 posts, read 649,710 times
Reputation: 1673
The worst part of the story is that parents had to take a loan to pay off 750 pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 08:31 AM
 
16,765 posts, read 9,258,338 times
Reputation: 30320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
NY does not have a duty to retreat within ones home as long as the homeowner is not the instigator of the incident. That’s a misconception.

So why is Joel Paul out on bail facing manslaughter charges for killing Shamel Shavuo in Queens with a knife and baseball bat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
10,326 posts, read 8,039,090 times
Reputation: 10124
Who is that?
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM
 
1,790 posts, read 1,766,400 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Who is that?
Young man who killed an intruder.


https://pix11.com/2019/01/02/queens-...glar-to-death/


And yes, NYS certainly has a retreat doctrine for outside the home. That is why in the story linked above, the man is charged with manslaughter. He was outside the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
10,326 posts, read 8,039,090 times
Reputation: 10124
Two lines in is your answer. Didn’t happen in the home.

I haven’t said a word about outside and made sure my posts were written to make clear I was speaking about within one’s home.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,486 posts, read 1,167,550 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so the situation might be different from the U.S. but I'm hearing stories from friends about a sibling or friend of a friend who's family has had to pay off drug dealers cause one of the kids borrowed too much and couldn't pay it back.

The closest story was a classmate who told me his younger teenage brother borrowed €750 worth of weed and then couldn't pay it back. The drug dealers came to his parents house and threatened to burn the house down if it wasn't paid. His parents took out a loan and paid the dealers. Many say going to the police is pointless cause they'll tell you the same thing but might give you the added benefit of getting your kids in trouble for drugs.

If you were in such situations, what would you do?
I'd say "Wait a minute, I'll go get the money" but, instead, I'd come back with my gun and kill them...In self defense, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 12:08 PM
 
18,258 posts, read 8,620,904 times
Reputation: 17328
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I'd say "Wait a minute, I'll go get the money" but, instead, I'd come back with my gun and kill them...In self defense, of course.
2nd person to resort to murder.

I'd pay them. And then kiddo would have to go to rehab.

IDK what one does with kiddo that keeps getting in trouble beyond what parents can bail out. How one says sorry, if they kill you I can't do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 PM
 
Location: North Texas
1,162 posts, read 302,315 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so the situation might be different from the U.S. but I'm hearing stories from friends about a sibling or friend of a friend who's family has had to pay off drug dealers cause one of the kids borrowed too much and couldn't pay it back.

The closest story was a classmate who told me his younger teenage brother borrowed €750 worth of weed and then couldn't pay it back. The drug dealers came to his parents house and threatened to burn the house down if it wasn't paid. His parents took out a loan and paid the dealers. Many say going to the police is pointless cause they'll tell you the same thing but might give you the added benefit of getting your kids in trouble for drugs.

If you were in such situations, what would you do?
Geez that's horrible. The United States doesn't have that issue at all thankfully. At least I never heard of it... Craziness... Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top