Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It doesn’t take Rambo to handle drug dealers. I’ve been doing it for two decades. Most are about as tough as a limp piece of spaghetti.
I'm assuming you work in law enforcement. You should know then about NY's retreat doctrine.

Last edited by charmed hour; 02-11-2020 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM

19,024 posts, read 13,932,533 times
NY does not have a duty to retreat within ones home as long as the homeowner is not the instigator of the incident. That’s a misconception.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 02-12-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-12-2020, 04:19 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times
The worst part of the story is that parents had to take a loan to pay off 750 pounds.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:31 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
NY does not have a duty to retreat within ones home as long as the homeowner is not the instigator of the incident. That’s a misconception.

So why is Joel Paul out on bail facing manslaughter charges for killing Shamel Shavuo in Queens with a knife and baseball bat?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Who is that?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times
Quote:
Who is that?
Young man who killed an intruder.

https://pix11.com/2019/01/02/queens-...glar-to-death/

And yes, NYS certainly has a retreat doctrine for outside the home. That is why in the story linked above, the man is charged with manslaughter. He was outside the home.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Two lines in is your answer. Didn’t happen in the home.

I haven’t said a word about outside and made sure my posts were written to make clear I was speaking about within one’s home.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so the situation might be different from the U.S. but I'm hearing stories from friends about a sibling or friend of a friend who's family has had to pay off drug dealers cause one of the kids borrowed too much and couldn't pay it back.

The closest story was a classmate who told me his younger teenage brother borrowed €750 worth of weed and then couldn't pay it back. The drug dealers came to his parents house and threatened to burn the house down if it wasn't paid. His parents took out a loan and paid the dealers. Many say going to the police is pointless cause they'll tell you the same thing but might give you the added benefit of getting your kids in trouble for drugs.

If you were in such situations, what would you do?
I'd say "Wait a minute, I'll go get the money" but, instead, I'd come back with my gun and kill them...In self defense, of course.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I'd say "Wait a minute, I'll go get the money" but, instead, I'd come back with my gun and kill them...In self defense, of course.
2nd person to resort to murder.

I'd pay them. And then kiddo would have to go to rehab.

IDK what one does with kiddo that keeps getting in trouble beyond what parents can bail out. How one says sorry, if they kill you I can't do anything about it.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 PM

1,159 posts, read 618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so the situation might be different from the U.S. but I'm hearing stories from friends about a sibling or friend of a friend who's family has had to pay off drug dealers cause one of the kids borrowed too much and couldn't pay it back.

The closest story was a classmate who told me his younger teenage brother borrowed €750 worth of weed and then couldn't pay it back. The drug dealers came to his parents house and threatened to burn the house down if it wasn't paid. His parents took out a loan and paid the dealers. Many say going to the police is pointless cause they'll tell you the same thing but might give you the added benefit of getting your kids in trouble for drugs.

If you were in such situations, what would you do?
Geez that's horrible. The United States doesn't have that issue at all thankfully. At least I never heard of it... Craziness... Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting