U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM

41 posts, read 16,974 times

Advertisements

I live in Ireland so the situation might be different from the U.S. but I'm hearing stories from friends about a sibling or friend of a friend who's family has had to pay off drug dealers cause one of the kids borrowed too much and couldn't pay it back.

The closest story was a classmate who told me his younger teenage brother borrowed €750 worth of weed and then couldn't pay it back. The drug dealers came to his parents house and threatened to burn the house down if it wasn't paid. His parents took out a loan and paid the dealers. Many say going to the police is pointless cause they'll tell you the same thing but might give you the added benefit of getting your kids in trouble for drugs.

If you were in such situations, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM

13,619 posts, read 22,280,320 times
Here in the USA, I have never heard about that, but am sure it has happened and kept quiet.
I would have that drug dealer arrested so fast his head would spin.
Then my child would probably have to pay the consequences and hopefully learn a good life lesson.

Yes, I love my kids,(who now are all grown up) enough to stop inappropriate and illegal behavior.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 02-10-2020, 01:17 PM

5,505 posts, read 5,748,539 times
How common is it? Who knows??

Has it ever happened...probably.

The info is confusing. Did he borrow money or drugs? You say he borrowed 750 Euros worth of weed...what? Borrow weed? Did he intend to give the weed back Lol.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:51 PM

41 posts, read 16,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
How common is it? Who knows??

Has it ever happened...probably.

The info is confusing. Did he borrow money or drugs? You say he borrowed 750 Euros worth of weed...what? Borrow weed? Did he intend to give the weed back Lol.
lol...I mean was lent it on credit...couldn't pay it back and the dealers came knockin and scared the crap out of the parents...

Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM

27,491 posts, read 20,446,949 times
I've never heard of paying off an actual "drug debt," but I know parents who have thrown a lot of money at trying to get help for an addicted adult child.

My best friend had numerous comorbid mental illnesses and substance abuse problems. He shot himself in the eye with ratshot. His parents sent him to a very high end eye hospital that was able to restore most of his sight at who knows what cost. He committed suicide a few months later.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 849,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Was he buying it to resell? If not this story sounds pretty made up. I don't know what prices are like in Ireland, but here 750 Euros would buy a whole lot of herb, way more than any one person could consume before it dried out and became nasty.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 AM

5,216 posts, read 7,239,094 times
My ex FIL paid off a few dealers that were coming after my BIL. About 5k in total, this was all from pills around 2010.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM

9,659 posts, read 7,234,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Was he buying it to resell? If not this story sounds pretty made up. I don't know what prices are like in Ireland, but here 750 Euros would buy a whole lot of herb, way more than any one person could consume before it dried out and became nasty.
Yeah, and it isn't something where credit is readily extended, typically it's cash and carry for the end level consumer.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 8,039,090 times
Should my family ever be faced with a child battling addiction, the best case scenario for us (and worst for the dealer) would be for them to show up at my house to threaten me.

The average drug dealer is a junkie skell. The cartels wouldn't be collecting debts from parents.

I'd simply smile, invite them inside to talk (thereby satisfying the castle doctrine legal requirement), then straight up end it.

In 2008 I was living with a friend just prior to buying my house. He was into some trouble. A bookie came to the door looking for him. It didn't end well for that guy. For my daughters, I would do far, far worse.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Status: ""Truth Doesn't Matter"- Wisdom of the CD Hive" (set 19 days ago)

7,785 posts, read 3,375,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah, and it isn't something where credit is readily extended, typically it's cash and carry for the end level consumer.
^^This.

I've known about a few of these situations. In every single instance, it was a case of the junkie kid and his/her junkie partner scamming the family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or