U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM

76 posts, read 28,492 times

Advertisements

My cousin will turned 42 a month before her due date. She 13 weeks and waiting on tests results for Down syndrome and also the gender. She said she is not worried and she just has a feeling everything will be ok. Is 41 really risky for down and other health issues? My cousin is in great shape. Is a fitness instructor and eats healthy so not too worried any issues with her health. With all her boyfriends, not being on the pill, and not really using other protection how did she not get pregnant until she was 41? Also her current boyfriend and the father is only 28. He is thrilled though and wants to marry her. I would think a 28 year old would want to spend his life with someone close or his age but what do I know. Your thoughts on all this. I just really hope it’s a happy healthy baby.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:08 PM

1,354 posts, read 782,184 times
My thought is that you are delving into things that aren't really your business.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:09 PM

7,259 posts, read 3,461,593 times
Usually the doctor and his well trained team will know . Go to an appointment with her and ask. Doctors are able to water down the medical terminology to match the question.
Those genes play a factor in what gets carried on to the infant.
Congrats to the new parents...may their wisdom and love create a safe haven for the little one.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:13 PM

46,822 posts, read 45,192,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post

She said she is not worried ...
I would follow her lead.

Today's 41 is not like it was 30 or 50 years ago. It sounds like she's already above and beyond most women her age physically.

Plenty of women through the years have had babies in much worse circumstances. The human body can do some amazing things.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:30 PM

7,719 posts, read 4,801,495 times
The vast majority of women 40+ will have healthy babies. My mom was one of them (43 when I was born). I three friends who gave birth when they were 44 or 45 and all of the babies were healthy. The one mother I know with a Down syndrome child was 27 when she had that baby.

I would not worry about it, and all the other issues (the age of the father, why your cousin never got pregnant before, etc.) are none of your business and you may not even know all the facts.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:44 PM

88,988 posts, read 105,498,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Usually the doctor and his well trained team will know . Go to an appointment with her and ask. Doctors are able to water down the medical terminology to match the question.
Those genes play a factor in what gets carried on to the infant.
Congrats to the new parents...may their wisdom and love create a safe haven for the little one.
Why should this cousin go to an appointment with the pregnant woman unless she's invited along?

The risk of Down's for a 42 yo woman is 1 in 70. Down's is genetic, but not hereditary except in about 1% of cases.
https://www.ndss.org/about-down-syndrome/down-syndrome/

Old 02-13-2020, 12:44 PM

81,804 posts, read 74,916,651 times
41 is still within the realm of normal, OP. It's not "really risky". Chill.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM

60,543 posts, read 57,843,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would follow her lead.

Today's 41 is not like it was 30 or 50 years ago. It sounds like she's already above and beyond most women her age physically.
Even 30 or 50 years ago a woman was not doomed just because she was older when a baby was born. Yes, the RISKS are higher, but most such children are fine.

My brother is 50. He was born when my mother was 41. I'd bet on either of them against the majority of posters on this forum in an IQ competition any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Plenty of women through the years have had babies in much worse circumstances. The human body can do some amazing things.
Women all over the planet still have babies without any prenatal care and give birth in questionable environments. The majority still survive.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 PM

7,719 posts, read 4,801,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post
Wow why are people so mean? I care. And I’m curious of opinions. That is what message boards are for aren’t they? I’m not in their business and bothering my friends or cousins. I’m just asking here anonymously.
OK, these were your questions:

Quote:
Is 41 really risky for down and other health issues?
No, not necessarily. As stated, for example, 99% of 41-year-old mothers will not have a baby with Down syndrome.

Quote:
With all her boyfriends, not being on the pill, and not really using other protection how did she not get pregnant until she was 41?
None of us has any idea. Why don't you ask her?

Old 02-13-2020, 02:23 PM

1,070 posts, read 282,651 times
People’s bodies work differently. It’s certainly very possible to get pregnant at 41 and have a healthy baby.

The situation itself doesn’t sound great if you want honest opinions. People seem to think just because a woman is older that it doesn’t matter if she’s married or not but it still will affect the child depending on what happens. A 41 yr old woman being with a 28 yr old guy seems like a stretch, it’s unusual for sure and makes me wonder if this will last. When he’s 37 and she’s 50 I’d be curious to know if they’re still together. Sounds like a friends with benefits situation gone wild. I’m 41 and couldn’t imagine marrying a 28 yr old man. Just very different places in life.

Overall it never seems like a great situation to get pregnant when it’s unplanned and you’re not married. Doesn’t mean it will be a horrible situation but all you can do is wish them luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or