U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 10,463 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
My son just turned 7 a few weeks ago. He was an early potty trainer, was mostly dry through the night by age 3, and since then has never had any issues with nighttime continence. Once every few days if he didn't remember to pee before bed he would get restless and wake up and I would take him to the bathroom, but he almost NEVER wet the bed.

Then, one week ago, he had an accident at night. Kinda weird! But he was getting over a mild virus of some kind so I just figured whatever, some kind of fluke. Then it happened again. And again. He has wet his bed 4 of the last 6 nights.

I am sort of freaking out here. Outwardly, I'm not really raising it with him other than to remind him not to drink late at night and to use the bathroom a couple of times before bed. But on the inside, I'm starting to have some anxiety that we are on the precipice of a long-term issue of some kind.

So,...has anyone ever had an issue like this, where a kid who doesn't went the bed all of a sudden starts having episodes? If so was it a blip that resolved itself (please god) or did it turn into something long term? Any other advice.

Honestly, not really sure what advice can be given, but if you have experiences to share I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 10:03 AM

9,486 posts, read 3,564,846 times
I would have him checked by his doctor to see if he might have a UTI. (Urinary Tract Infection). Boys don't often get them, but they CAN. And since he had some kind of bug, I don't know...could've led to a UTI.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 AM

6,991 posts, read 8,561,220 times
I tend to think it's related to his recent illness. Perhaps he's sleeping more deeply than normal as his body tries to recover.

Have there been any other changes in his routine or other something new at home or school that could be causing him some anxiety?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:29 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,666,012 times
My first thought was UTI. Boys, and men, definitely do get them. My late hubby had several over the years.

I suggest seeing the pediatrician. UTI is treated with an antibiotic.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:26 AM

5,185 posts, read 4,474,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big City Person View Post
Hi all:
My son just turned 7 a few weeks ago. He was an early potty trainer, was mostly dry through the night by age 3, and since then has never had any issues with nighttime continence. Once every few days if he didn't remember to pee before bed he would get restless and wake up and I would take him to the bathroom, but he almost NEVER wet the bed.

Then, one week ago, he had an accident at night. Kinda weird! But he was getting over a mild virus of some kind so I just figured whatever, some kind of fluke. Then it happened again. And again. He has wet his bed 4 of the last 6 nights.

I am sort of freaking out here. Outwardly, I'm not really raising it with him other than to remind him not to drink late at night and to use the bathroom a couple of times before bed. But on the inside, I'm starting to have some anxiety that we are on the precipice of a long-term issue of some kind.

So,...has anyone ever had an issue like this, where a kid who doesn't went the bed all of a sudden starts having episodes? If so was it a blip that resolved itself (please god) or did it turn into something long term? Any other advice.

Honestly, not really sure what advice can be given, but if you have experiences to share I'm all ears.
I didn't read the thread. This could be an infection, could be onset of type I diabetes. Get him to the pediatrician right away.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:49 PM

2,321 posts, read 761,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I didn't read the thread. This could be an infection, could be onset of type I diabetes. Get him to the pediatrician right away.
Best advice!

I tried to rep you again, but couldn't.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,174,869 times
Yes, I'd get him into the doctor tomorrow to check for diabetes and UTI. Or if you can go to a walk-in clinic today (Sunday), that would be even better. They can check his urine for signs of both and treat accordingly.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 AM

781 posts, read 113,000 times
Quote:
Hi all:

Has there recently been a baby introduced into the home? A baby sibling, baby cousin, etc?

My second oldest son (age 5 at the time) reverted back to wetting his pants (and bed) after his baby brother was born. Up until that point he had been good about not having accidents. I'd take the new baby into the nursery to change his diapers in the crib, and older son would follow me in, crawl under the baby's crib, and wet his pants. This went on for weeks.

I went back to diapering the older one at night and at naptime, and within about a month, older son was waking dry again (do think the feeling of wearing uncomfortable wet cloth diapers with rubber pants helped), and daytime accidents seemingly disappeared as fast as they appeared.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM

13,191 posts, read 22,913,651 times
Quote:
Hi all:

I agree with everyone else to get him to the doctor to check for an infection.

My grandson suffers pee issues when he's constipated. He can't feel that he has to pee until it's almost coming out.

Also go to Walmart to buy Good Nites which are like pull ups for older kids. You should only need one pack to get you thru if it is due to illness. The Walmart brand are just as good as the brand. A lot easier then having to change his bedding every night.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,071,649 times
He may have pinworm. My son is 10. About once a year he wets the bed--and it's when he has pinworm. I would just go ahead and buy PinX at the drug store and give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting