Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 06:35 PM

9,913 posts, read 5,587,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Can't you be both? Can't someone be a role model AND a friend? Can't one be an authority figure AND a friend?

Certainly friends can pass wisdom to each other, not just parents to their children.

Personally, I feel like I can be friends with my children (who are adults now) and STILL lend a guiding hand, a word of wisdom, etc. I can ALSO be a shoulder to cry on, and someone to share exciting news, or sad news, or ANY THING at all...if they want to.
Parents and children have a fundamentally different relationship than just "friends" even after children are long into adulthood. It's a different dynamic than a conventional peer friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 07:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
The four basic parenting styles are: authoritarian, authoritative, permissive, and uninivolved. Of these four:

Quote:
The authoritative approach to parenting has been shown to lead to the best outcomes in kids, including better emotional health, social skills, more resiliency, and more secure attachment with their parents.
Source: https://www.verywellfamily.com/types...styles-1095045

Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 PM

1,159 posts, read 613,031 times
I think this is the issue my sister has with her daughter. She had her young and still acts immature. Daughter doesn't respect mom whatsoever. Not surprised.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 PM

1,149 posts, read 928,556 times
Absolutely! Kids have not respect for the "friend" parent. Treat them just like a buddy where they are an equal and can do what they want. Don't think so!

Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,689,479 times
I'm both and that's how it should be. I want my daughters to know that they can talk to me about anything and not be afraid. I have a fantastic relationship with my teen because of that and she literally talks to be about everything and anything. With that said, that doesn't mean she can do what ever she wants. She's fully aware that I'm not going to let her get away with anything she shouldn't be doing. Obviously my approach is working because she's an honor student, does charitable work, a cheerleader, in Choir and is taking H.S classes geared towards Engineering!

Old 02-25-2020, 10:46 PM

8,354 posts, read 4,617,185 times
Friends? Not so much. Be open so that they can talk to you about sex, friends, any problems. But never let it be lost that as long as they are minors, you are the supreme arbiter, and that your word is gold. Kids need boundaries. Teach them what you will, but always make sure you have consistent boundaries which you enforce.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:59 PM

37,074 posts, read 42,043,953 times
My daughter is grown and I swear she tells me things no mother wants to hear because she has no filter and maybe enjoys seeing my reactions!

Old 02-26-2020, 01:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,441,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The four basic parenting styles are: authoritarian, authoritative, permissive, and uninivolved. Of these four:

Source: https://www.verywellfamily.com/types...styles-1095045
Yes. And it's not the easiest. Takes work, thought, involvement.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:38 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,045,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm both and that's how it should be. I want my daughters to know that they can talk to me about anything and not be afraid. I have a fantastic relationship with my teen because of that and she literally talks to be about everything and anything. With that said, that doesn't mean she can do what ever she wants. She's fully aware that I'm not going to let her get away with anything she shouldn't be doing. Obviously my approach is working because she's an honor student, does charitable work, a cheerleader, in Choir and is taking H.S classes geared towards Engineering!
Don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back. You’re deluding yourself if you think she has no secrets if you’re actually setting boundaries.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:03 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,677,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Can't you be both? Can't someone be a role model AND a friend? Can't one be an authority figure AND a friend?
Yes.

Of course.

This one-or-the-other notion that a parent must retain an austere emotional distance is absurd. It's like someone is following a checklist for parenting, rather than understanding the dynamic that must be individually fashioned between two unique individuals. Parenting-by-numbers.

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting