Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times

Advertisements

I feel really bad for kids with awful names. They will dread the first day of school or introducing themselves for the rest of their lives.

I went to school with a girl named Kisty. Kristy without an "r". Then we had Stormie Dawn and Sunny House. Let's not forget Mary Christmas.

Apple and Track are two of the worst names EVER. Raddix - really????

Someone I once worked with thought leukemia was a pretty name...I am not kidding. We had to tell her it was the name of a devastating disease.

Kids should.not.be named after inanimate objects, diseases or.sound.like a stripper's stage name. If you do --you're setting your kid up for ridicule and you will need to pay for therapy down the road.

Stormie Dawn to the main stage please...lol

Last edited by Angie682; 03-02-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 12:41 AM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have actually seen Phelan [pronounced Fay-Lin] not Felon. So perhaps its being mispronounced?

No this kid's name was Phelean, it is supposed to be pronounced (Phil-lee-an). But I would hear people who didn't know any different pronounce it as "Felon".

This poor kids parents were trying to be cute. The name Philian would be bad enough, but a misspelled variation just horrible. I'm hoping that kid as a decent middle name to fall back on.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:44 AM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
A good friend of mine had an uncle they called "LD", she said his legal name was "Lovey Dovey"

Old 03-03-2020, 05:05 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I feel really bad for kids with awful names. They will dread the first day of school or introducing themselves for the rest of their lives.

I went to school with a girl named Kisty. Kristy without an "r". Then we had Stormie Dawn and Sunny House. Let's not forget Mary Christmas.

Apple and Track are two of the worst names EVER. Raddix - really????

Someone I once worked with thought leukemia was a pretty name...I am not kidding. We had to tell her it was the name of a devastating disease.

Kids should.not.be named after inanimate objects, diseases or.sound.like a stripper's stage name. If you do --you're setting your kid up for ridicule and you will need to pay for therapy down the road.

Stormie Dawn to the main stage please...lol
No.

They won't.

They don't.

My wife is a public school teacher and is immersed in the world of relative name-diversity of this era. Kids don't care. Peers don't care. This is not 'about the welfare of kids'. You just don't like unusual names. And that speaks to no one but you.

But the reality of the names of others is that it isn't about you. At all.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:04 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
No.

They won't.

They don't.

My wife is a public school teacher and is immersed in the world of relative name-diversity of this era. Kids don't care. Peers don't care. This is not 'about the welfare of kids'. You just don't like unusual names. And that speaks to no one but you.

But the reality of the names of others is that it isn't about you. At all.
Unusual names are one thing. Ridiculous names are something entirely different.

Kids do still get made fun of because of horrible names and their teachers laugh about them too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting