U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 12:59 PM

848 posts, read 1,110,521 times

Advertisements

Recreational sports (and even things like band) for kids aren't really geared towards people who do it just for fun. The number of options for them to just do practice and local matches is really small - almost everything is geared towards competition, including meets out of state. The time and money commitment is huge even for sports with almost no equipment. And at the end of it, only a tiny fraction will ever be able to capitalize on this through scholarships or jobs. Sure they have some fun, but they have to miss out on so much else.

We spent over $10,000 one year, which didn't even include several of the bigger meets. Outside of tuition and travelling costs there were ridiculous things like matching outfits with embroidered names, constant mandatory gifts to the other members of the team, team parties, and such. My daughter did it for two years but gave up the following year so that she could do after school activities with her friends rather than sacrificing it all on one sport, and she is so much happier now. She gets to do so much more, and many different things, and doesn't have to stay up late to do homework after practice. Plus the family gets to hang out together at the weekend rather than sitting in the car or in the stands for hours on end.

It seems that it has gone from a fun thing for kids to just being a money sink, which is only realistically supportable by having one parent who doesn't work and another who makes a significant amount - and these are the people who run the teams and cause all of the additional unreasonable demands of time and money. I would love for my daughter to be able to just do the sport once or twice a week and have fun at that, but it's not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 05:02 PM

11,620 posts, read 13,533,783 times
Stop the insanity.........cheerleading isn't going to lead to a big career like baseball/football/basketball/hockey/golf/tennis.

Ever consider the kids were going at it full blast to please you as parents? My buddy and his wife coached a competitive cheer team, it was business to them. Sell the parents on the scholarship fantasy and take their money. It literally turned into a lucrative 2nd job for them:

$225
Registration June
(Season August – November)

You will receive use of uniform, a practice shirt, a game bow and an Exhibition performance bow. $225 X 12 kids for 3 months!

Old 02-26-2020, 05:50 PM

6,073 posts, read 7,203,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Anything more than two hundred dollars a month is too expensive unless the child is a prodigy or the sporting skills are marketable.
It costs more than that to be on our high school teams. And my kids go to public high school.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 PM

545 posts, read 121,628 times
Sports is part of the reason some parents aren't saving for their child's college, and then the child will owe tons of money once he graduates. Then they'll be demanding student loan forgiveness. Is it really fair to give them a free ride, when there are parents who went without all these frivolities when their kids were young, and instead, put all that money into college savings plans?

I know for a fact that some parents spending these "thousands a year" have zero dollars in a savings plan (of any kind) for their kids' college.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:35 PM

8,589 posts, read 5,210,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Sports is part of the reason some parents aren't saving for their child's college, and then the child will owe tons of money once he graduates. Then they'll be demanding student loan forgiveness. Is it really fair to give them a free ride, when there are parents who went without all these frivolities when their kids were young, and instead, put all that money into college savings plans?

I know for a fact that some parents spending these "thousands a year" have zero dollars in a savings plan (of any kind) for their kids' college.
No doubt some of them are hoping for athletic scholarships. But there certainly aren't enough full scholarships for all the kids who are heavily involved in sports.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:44 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,540,309 times
Personally, I would probably start steering the girls away from cheerleading and more towards something that helped with future career goals. We didn't do competitive soccer, cheerleading, etc., because it was simply too much of a time sink for our family. The money issue never came into play because we didn't have that level of commitment. We didn't continue in scouts which is a much less expensive endeavor for reasons of time either.

The cost for high school activities is insane. I feel bad for the kids whose parents cannot afford it. It's hard for some of those kids to belong because most of the activities have gone to being a big expensive endeavor.

We were shown some choices for a school trip yesterday. It was about a $400-800 range of prices not including any spending money. My child will get to go, but some of the friends will be staying home. This is not even an expensive trip. These are mainly good kids who don't sneak out, but I don't chaperone because I don't have the stamina to keep up. A 6 am- 2 pm day is not my idea of a good time. One of my children is also being courted for an overseas trip. A major portion of that trip would be covered because the invitation is based on merit. We're not against it because we see it as a once in a lifetime experience, but I have a feeling the Corona Virus fears will preempt the deal.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:13 AM

33,129 posts, read 18,353,918 times
It's cheaper than rehab. Yes, it's expensive and exhausting but it keeps the kids busy and out of trouble is how I looked at it.

It's not 100% fail safe but . . .

Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 7,446 times
that argument drives me batty, because it's not true. I think it gives parents a false sense of security.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 AM

22,597 posts, read 24,262,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrl84 View Post
that argument drives me batty, because it's not true. I think it gives parents a false sense of security.
Parents still need to parent and be aware of what their kids are doing and with whom, but if you have an active child, it certainly helps to have him/her in activities that tire them out and demand adherence to schedules and rules in order to participate. It's not an excuse as much as it is a tool.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 7,446 times
Right, but why just assume that if given free time that won't use it wisely? What if they don't want to be busy or being sports? Force them anyway? I saw this happen to a high school friend of mine, good grade and my little friend group was not at all interested in trouble. She was always saying how exhausted she was and how she wished she could have more free time to actually see her friends. I always felt really bad for her, but at 16 she felt like she had not choice, she said her parents wouldn't allow her to drop the things she wasn't interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or