U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:46 AM

11,572 posts, read 4,639,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Personally, I would probably start steering the girls away from cheerleading and more towards something that helped with future career goals. We didn't do competitive soccer, cheerleading, etc., because it was simply too much of a time sink for our family. The money issue never came into play because we didn't have that level of commitment. We didn't continue in scouts which is a much less expensive endeavor for reasons of time either.

The cost for high school activities is insane. I feel bad for the kids whose parents cannot afford it. It's hard for some of those kids to belong because most of the activities have gone to being a big expensive endeavor.

We were shown some choices for a school trip yesterday. It was about a $400-800 range of prices not including any spending money. My child will get to go, but some of the friends will be staying home. This is not even an expensive trip. These are mainly good kids who don't sneak out, but I don't chaperone because I don't have the stamina to keep up. A 6 am- 2 pm day is not my idea of a good time. One of my children is also being courted for an overseas trip. A major portion of that trip would be covered because the invitation is based on merit. We're not against it because we see it as a once in a lifetime experience, but I have a feeling the Corona Virus fears will preempt the deal.

We went to the high school cheer call out meeting yesterday. Cost is about $800 for the year. That is WAY less than what I'm paying for competitive cheer! My daughter is now considering doing that instead. School cheer is 5 days a week with practices and games. Competitive cheer is 3 days a week. I do wonder if H.S. cheer will be too much time.

As far as steering her towards something to help future goals...….neither daughter is planning on being a professional cheerleader. I believe I already said that. One is actually planning on being a Mechanical Engineer or a Meteorologist and the other a Vet. They have clubs for that. Cheer is recreational and won 't interfere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Competitive cheerleading is a uniquely expensive sport. Google the ownership of varsity.com. They are a for-profit company and have a stranglehold on the cheerleading industry, controlling every aspect of it for their own financial benefit. Other sports have a non-profit governing body. It is a huge deal and actually impacts the safety of the kids. Varsity.com doesn't want cheer recognized as a sport because that would impact how they govern about safety etc. RUN, RUN, RUN from competitive cheer.

Your girls can use their skills in other sports such as competitive diving. Look into your state/city's youth diving team, outside of her school team. The lessons and travel will be much more reasonable and it is actually a recognized, sanctioned sport. Cheer athletes usually have an incredible fitness level and may find they can be competitive in cross country and track and field (think field events if your girls are bases). My middle schooler dropped cheer and has done cross country, diving and soccer. She is thriving and has not looked back.

My daughter was a flyer at a well-known gym. I spent $10,000 her last year on the activity. That did not include the medical costs for a broken foot and two concussions, not to mention the cost to her health. She is so much happier enjoying time with her friends and exploring new activities that she didn't have time for before. Her grades and health have improved and she no longer feels the need to spray tan. :-)
There are risk potentials with every sport. My cousin got seriously hurt on a diving team. She hit the board.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
One of my leagues was invited to the Milwaukee Admirals game on Wednesday. We got to have a pre-game game, meet and greet, tickets to the game. It was part of their Hockey is Her campaign. I'm so happy for my girls that Women's Hockey is having a moment. Brianna Decker is is from the Milwaukee area and is always involved in promoting girls hockey. The girls love it when she brings her medals out.
I was on my high school pom dance team and we were invited to dance during a Chicago Bears playoff half time show. It was an experience of a lifetime! My girls are cheering at Nationals (Summit) at Disney in May. That will also be an experience.

It has also brought much confidence to my daughter who has been shy most of her childhood. It's amazing to see her go out in front of 100's of people and perform.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:18 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,553,308 times
Competitive cheer is popular where I live. I know of a few families that have their girls in it. 4 (1 from IN and 3 from my current state) of them won bids to go to Disney in May. 3 of the girls had zero point routines. I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend all that money and not get a scholarship to college for the sport.

One of the fliers from Netflix - Cheer, lives in my neighborhood, when she's not at Navarro.

My niece is on a club swim team and also her HS team. She has a passion for it and is very good at it. Her parents are spending thousands of dollars. Hotels, food, gas, plane tickets, club fees. She's going to Nationals in March and she swims at Va Tech every March and July for the big club meet. She actually was given a chance to meet one of the Olympic swim coaches.

I have another friend that spent a lot of summers in the gym for basketball with her kids. Playing on summer basketball teams along with HS teams and one of the kids got a full ride scholarship to Valpo and the other is an ND commit.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 516,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I was on my high school pom dance team and we were invited to dance during a Chicago Bears playoff half time show. It was an experience of a lifetime! My girls are cheering at Nationals (Summit) at Disney in May. That will also be an experience.

It has also brought much confidence to my daughter who has been shy most of her childhood. It's amazing to see her go out in front of 100's of people and perform.
Many focus on scholarships and career goals but it can be about what it will do for your child in terms of life skills My daughter who was extremely shy ended up being the captain of her crew team and president of her sorority. Those leadership positions were noted on her college application/resume and she was accepted at her "reach" school which later led to a career at a prestigious firm. If someone had told me all this when she was ten years old this, I would have been dumbfounded.

The other thing is she was best suited to this sport -- her physique, strength, stamina -- and her coaches were excellent at discovering and cultivating her strengths and served as college references. All these things would not necessarily be transferrable to another sport -- many of which did not play to her strengths.

I am glad you found a suitable substitute for your daughters as the cost of competitive cheer would give me pause as well.

P.S. We actually discouraged her from trying out for crew because we felt it was too time consuming and would affect her grades. I am happy to say, she proved us wrong. (Also under NCAA rules, student athletes must log x amount of study hours and this forced study requirement is a good thing for college freshmen.)

Last edited by Maddie104; 02-28-2020 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM

33,129 posts, read 18,353,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrl84 View Post
that argument drives me batty, because it's not true. I think it gives parents a false sense of security.
If your child is active in his/her school and plugged into events with a good friend crowd - yeah, it absolutely helps. I did say that it is NOT fail safe but it's better then the alternative, IMO.

It did work for us and I was just the opposite when I was in HS.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:11 AM

22 posts, read 7,446 times
I'm not saying that it doesn't ever work, for some, yes it does. But, what I hate is everyone who seems to say this acts like it's a universal thing and if your kids aren't in sports or busy look out, because nothing good will come from that.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:01 PM

16,786 posts, read 9,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
There is such a thing as a professional cheerleader you know.... Maybe these girls could end up cheering for a professional football team?! You never know...

Op- if you can afford it, let them continue!
And how much money do they make as professionals? My impression is that it is not high paying and of course the length of the career is very limited. Unless you consider it as a way to marry a sports star (a repulsive idea to many) then calling cheering a good profession is dubious.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:40 PM

5,627 posts, read 2,463,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And how much money do they make as professionals? My impression is that it is not high paying and of course the length of the career is very limited. Unless you consider it as a way to marry a sports star (a repulsive idea to many) then calling cheering a good profession is dubious.
Typically they have a second job. They do not make much at all. My mom had a neighbor whose daughter was a professional cheerleader and I can’t remember what else she did, but she had a professional career and did the NFL cheerleading on the side. It was more a hobby than a career.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:38 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,699,627 times
It's also not the pinnacle of cheer - competitive cheerleading is much more challenging technically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or