U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:18 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,008,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrl84 View Post
I love it how everyone tries to justify these huge costs instead of just admitting that they are too expensive. Parents are willing to do it so it will never change, but come one most sports were never this expensive. It has turned inti a billion dollar business and they have picked up the fact that most think sports are anecessity anymore. Also, kids aren't allowed out like they used to be and require more supervisiin
These leagues have picked up on this, they aren't stupid.
Don't project your parenting on everyone else. My kids have free rein of the neighborhood. And we're in Milwaukee.

It's also up to each individual parent to decide what is too much $ and what isn't, not yours. I'll pay for my kids to play in the regular local hockey club but I'm not spending the money to put them on a AA team. That's my choice to make. I also pay for my kids to play rec soccer but they aren't interested in the full commitment required for club level or higher so we don't do it. Easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:27 PM

22,597 posts, read 24,262,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
In your free neighborhood eutopia, who do you think will zam the ice or mow the lawn? Open the rink/court/field? Maintain the bathrooms? Maintain the equipment (both rink/court and gear)? Work the concession stands? Who will ref/ump? You either pay for these things or you have parent volunteers. Usually a mix of both. We pay for our kids to play hockey and the only volunteering we're asked to do is keep score, run the clock, or open the door for the penalty box. Hardly too much to ask. Lucky for me, my kids' teams come with a group of lovely parents who are more than happy to help.
Quote:
Don't project your parenting on everyone else. My kids have free rein of the neighborhood. And we're in Milwaukee.

It's also up to each individual parent to decide what is too much $ and what isn't, not yours. I'll pay for my kids to play in the regular local hockey club but I'm not spending the money to put them on a AA team. That's my choice to make. I also pay for my kids to play rec soccer but they aren't interested in the full commitment required for club level or higher so we don't do it. Easy peasy.

Yes to both of these.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM

22 posts, read 7,446 times
How was i projecting anything? And 6es, of cpurse its up to the indivual parent, but thousand just to let a kid play a sport is too expensive.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:28 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is no end to how much money that these sports will try to bilk from parents. They will even try to get parents to do free volunteer work for them, in addition to bilking them thousands of dollars for baseball, football, ice hockey, cheerleading, soccer, karate. If parents would stand up and say "enough is enough" and form their own neighborhood sports teams that were free to join, these exploitive businesses would be run into the ground.
I never felt bilked. We knew going into every sport each season that there were expenses that needed to be covered. Our kids, our choice. Neighborhood sports teams are great for exposure when kids don't really know if they have a passion, and talent, for the game, but once they do, the "everybody plays equally" becomes unfair to the kids who want to excel.

As parents, we made life-long friends in the stands, working concessions, and taking tickets. Unless you have been involved yourself, you likely can't appreciate how pleasant it is to spend your nights and weekends watching your kids have fun with people who are doing the same.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 5,178,231 times
Quote:
In your free neighborhood eutopia, who do you think will zam the ice or mow the lawn? Open the rink/court/field? Maintain the bathrooms? Maintain the equipment (both rink/court and gear)? Work the concession stands? Who will ref/ump? You either pay for these things or you have parent volunteers. .
So you think it's impossible? There are already tons of these neighorhood kids sports teams already. the parents volunteer but they don't have to pay thousands of dollars for their kid to play baseball, football, etc.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 5,178,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I never felt bilked. We knew going into every sport each season that there were expenses that needed to be covered. Our kids, our choice. Neighborhood sports teams are great for exposure when kids don't really know if they have a passion, and talent, for the game, but once they do, the "everybody plays equally" becomes unfair to the kids who want to excel.

As parents, we made life-long friends in the stands, working concessions, and taking tickets. Unless you have been involved yourself, you likely can't appreciate how pleasant it is to spend your nights and weekends watching your kids have fun with people who are doing the same.
You didn't understand anything of what I said, but whatever.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:54 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
Quote:
You didn't understand anything of what I said, but whatever.
I think I understood you perfectly. But, whatever.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM

8,163 posts, read 9,824,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We have 2 girls in competitive cheerleading which costs us thousands of dollars a year for each of them. We travel to other states, pay for hotels, food, entrance fees as a spectator, gas, etc. Not to mention the cost to actually participate monthly, the uniform, separate required tumbling class, etc. To top it off, both teams won a bid to The Summit national competition in May at Disney which will be a few thousand more. Both girls also do school cheerleading which is obviously much cheaper] however, school cheerleading and competitive cheer are completely different in nature! Next year, my oldest is going into H.S. and she will not be able to do both as it will be too much. She has to pick which one to do. She has decided to stay on the competitive team; however, my husband and I not sure we want to keep putting out the money for it. I'd honestly rather put it towards her college.

My dilemma is that both my girls truly love it. It's the only thing my younger daughter has stuck to. My oldest said that if she can't do the competitive team then she won't cheer anymore because she is not interested in cheering in high school. We can afford it, but as I said above, it's thousands of dollars and very time consuming for us. They have practice all day every Sunday, another day during the week and competitions almost every other week for 7 months. My husband wants them both to tryout for school cheer and if they don't make it then he will continue to allow them to do the competitive cheer.

My question is this...…...what do you consider too much to pay for a childs sport? If you can afford it, do you continue allowing them to do it because they love it or do you put a cap on what you will pay regardless? Also, would you allow your child to do a sport that would be very time consuming on you as well? What is your perspective on this?
Just think how much you'd have if you put all that money in a college savings plan.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:13 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,553,308 times
Quote:
So you think it's impossible? There are already tons of these neighorhood kids sports teams already. the parents volunteer but they don't have to pay thousands of dollars for their kid to play baseball, football, etc.
There called Rec leagues. There is a huge difference between rec and competitive leagues. Yes, the parents are volunteers in the rec leagues and they cost between $60 - $145 a season. It's the level of play and coaching that makes the difference. When you put your kid into sports, you want them to learn something about the sport and want them to continue to learn as they play every year. In a rec league that doesn't always happen. Sometimes the coaches have zero idea of what they're doing, but they're only volunteers (and the kids are supposed to be having fun) so you let it go...after all you get what you pay for.

Most rec league players (soccer is a prime example) don't make the MS/HS sports teams. The competitive league players do because the coaches are compensated because they know more about the game, they practice more than once a week and play multiple games on the weekends.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 AM

1,772 posts, read 516,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Just think how much you'd have if you put all that money in a college savings plan.
The same could be said for just about everything. I was often amused by the parents who question large amounts spent on children but don't question the amount they spend on their huge gas guzzling SUV's.

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-11-2020 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or