U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 9,836,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The same could be said for just about everything. I was often amused by the parents who question large amounts spent on children but don't question the amount they spend on their huge gas guzzling SUV's.
This is a much larger amount. When you consider food, gas, and lodging a few times a month they're spending more than 10 grand a year. Multiply that by six or seven years and the kid can pay for their college tuition. Put that much into a college savings plan and the kid can graduate debt free. The cost of just driving the SUV isn't even remotely as much. Not that I am justifying the SUV but it's not an apples to apples comparison. The fact that parents spend this much money on traveling sports just so the kid might have a scholarship is asinine. If they can fund this they can fund their college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 PM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The fact that parents spend this much money on traveling sports just so the kid might have a scholarship is asinine. If they can fund this they can fund their college.
Those kids will be stuck with heavy debt some day.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 524,365 times
Quote:
This is a much larger amount. When you consider food, gas, and lodging a few times a month they're spending more than 10 grand a year. Multiply that by six or seven years and the kid can pay for their college tuition. Put that much into a college savings plan and the kid can graduate debt free. The cost of just driving the SUV isn't even remotely as much. Not that I am justifying the SUV but it's not an apples to apples comparison. The fact that parents spend this much money on traveling sports just so the kid might have a scholarship is asinine. If they can fund this they can fund their college.
I am not just referring to gas but discretionary spending on many things like SUV leases, trips to Disney World, football season tickets, golfing, etc.

I don't know whether the cost of this activity is justified or not but I could point to many things that are "asinine" spending by the same parents who suggest money spent on children's sports would be better spent on college tuition.

I have driven a twenty year old car that was paid for a long ago, my "car payments/lease payments" went toward college tuition.

Bottom line, most discretionary spending is fair game insofar as paying for college tuition. So there are many ways to "skin the cat."

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-12-2020 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-12-2020, 08:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 654,220 times
I would not argue that it’s not out of control because it absolutely is. I have one son who plays high level hockey. He played travel hockey his whole life but as a teen he moved to a more elite team. He also made varsity as a freshman. So 2 teams. It’s costly. He’s not getting a D1 scholarship or going to the NHL. He will play club hockey in college. We happen to have the funds. He has a trust fund for college so no worries. I try to chip into make things less expensive for other families. Most families are walking a tighter line. I’ve seen them make sacrifices. A few have been full out crazy spending money they don’t have chasing a dream that won’t come true. But that’s a minority.

My middle child plays rec level sports and he’s happy. Less money. Some hand me down equipment. My 3rd is young and we will stick with laid back sports unless it becomes clear he needs more.

It is insane. The cost bothers me less than the parental/coach attitudes that you have to focus on a sport year round or the extra fun people who think non elite kids shouldn’t even bother playing. My kids have fun, great friends, great exercise and eating habits, great life balance, great sportsmanship...because of sports...even if it is sometimes insane. I’ll take the bad to get the immense good we’ve gotten.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I am not just referring to gas but discretionary spending on many things like SUV leases, trips to Disney World, football season tickets, golfing, etc.

I don't know whether the cost of this activity is justified or not but I could point to many things that are "asinine" spending by the same parents who suggest money spent on children's sports would be better spent on college tuition.

I have driven a twenty year old car that was paid for a long ago, my "car payments/lease payments" went toward college tuition.

Bottom line, most discretionary spending is fair game insofar as paying for college tuition. So there are many ways to "skin the cat."
I'll agree to a point, but you have to live your life too. A one of trip to Disney a World, while expensive, is not going to make a huge difference in the long run. Leasing the newest and best SUVs, yes. There's a happy medium.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Those kids will be stuck with heavy debt some day.
Like most college grads are?

Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 443,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It is insane. The cost bothers me less than the parental/coach attitudes that you have to focus on a sport year round or the extra fun people who think non elite kids shouldn’t even bother playing. My kids have fun, great friends, great exercise and eating habits, great life balance, great sportsmanship...because of sports...even if it is sometimes insane. I’ll take the bad to get the immense good we’ve gotten.
Exactly! I have the same attitude about kids' sports. Some people are nuts, but that doesn't mean a parent has to be. Let them play and learn and enjoy themselves.

When my daughter was finishing up high school, I had an epiphany one day. I happened by a ball field where a bunch of 9ish year olds were warming up for a game. And I thought "I bet those parents really think it matters, the outcome on that field today". But with my kid being in her late teens, not one of her friends, even the ones who had played "elite" sports, were still playing at a higher level. The travel soccer kids got tired of all the time and travel and were playing rec league/high school, AAA hockey parents told me that their kids were all playing house league because they wanted to play, but also work and hang out with their friends, and my own kid wanted to do a bunch of sports for fun when she could have focused on her best one and maybe gone to nationals. So what if she had, anyway - she'd be able to say "hey I went to nationals when I was a teenager". What would that matter now?

My brother had younger kids at the time and I told him of my epiphany. And when I was done, he said "Yeah, but you want your kid to play at the highest level possible..." Apparently he didn't accept my point! lol

I love sports. I coached for many years in the community and at schools. I still play adult rec sports at the age of 52. I've played hockey with and against many young ladies who are finished their D1 careers. And they're playing in the same rec league as I am. Go figure.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:31 AM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
Quote:
Like most college grads are?
Irrelevant.

I wouldn't put my kids in debt just because other college kids are.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:36 PM

22,603 posts, read 24,279,340 times
Why are people assuming that everyone who makes this choice for their family is not also saving for college?

There are families who can do both. If they can, and they want to make that kind of a commitment - so what? I haven't seen anyone here say that they are spending huge amounts and forfeiting college savings.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:48 PM

554 posts, read 124,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why are people assuming that everyone who makes this choice for their family is not also saving for college?
NOBODY said this was true across the board.

I also think its fairly obvious that with the student loan crisis and over 70% of college students on financial aid, that there are a LOT of parents who do the sports thing but don't save for their kids college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or