Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

You sound like a sensible woman, despite the bad example your mother has set for you. Unfortunately, we can't pick our parents, but we can learn from their mistakes.
You need to do whatever it takes to make your life all it can be, and you have an obligation, I think, to support your siblings in any way you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times
I agree with the above posters. My only concern is that if it actually went to court - I'm not sure how easy it would be to get legal custody. Hopefully, it will never come to that.

Another small piece of advice - take advantage of "inertia". Meaning, get him set up at your house, get him enrolled in school, convince your mother to move out to California and leave him with you "for the time being." Then, wait for her to lose interest/motivation.

I am so sorry that you got this mother. But, on the plus side, you a) survived and b) managed to become a good person

Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
i have a something similar to this but so complicated.... I came from Africa to meet my mother in the US which we did not really had any relationship with. I am meeting her so we can live together for the first time. I am already 21 and she is 45. she is expecting me to start learning her own style of life, meanwhile i am already clinch to my own kind of life which i think is simple and confortable. at my 21 years do you think i can change my patern of life to be like her's we always have misunderstanding every day since i came to the US that i always feel i should go back to africa... please any body that understand me should help me

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Life is a constant changing role of compromises. YOu have to adapt to your mothers life, and she will have to allow you to live yours. both will have to let the other live their lives and both will have to be willing to change theirs in some way to conform to the others, if not, then it wont work out, the best of luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
The problem that I have with threatening to call family services is that your mom may just up and move and not leave a forwarding address. I go with the suggestion to do it sideways--get him to your house and enrolled in school. Oops, I just remembered--you can't enroll him in school w/o proof of custody. You could just go ahead and call family services and start the ball rolling. It won't be hard for them to figure out who should be raising that child. This will be difficult, but if you don't do it, you will have problems sleeping at night later. Don't ask me how I know that. God bless you for caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting