U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:45 PM

28,771 posts, read 49,061,246 times

Advertisements

Florida police officer fired after restraining, arresting Kaia Rolle after a tantrum

A police officer's bodycam shows a 6-year-old Florida girl crying and begging officers not to arrest her as zip ties are fastened around her wrists at a charter school. The video Kaia Rolle's family shared with the Orlando Sentinel and other outlets Monday shows the girl being arrested in September for kicking and punching staff at her Orlando school. "What are those for?" Kaia asks in the video about the zip ties.

https://www.newser.com/story/287447/...nd-chance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 04:09 AM

13,183 posts, read 22,896,266 times
Here's a link to a better article. There was a huge thread in current events back when it happened. If I remember correctly, another 6 year old and one 7 year old were arrested that day. The cop was fired. It came out that there were abuse allegations against him with his own child.

Body camera videos show 6-year-old sobbing and pleading with officers during arrest

Old 02-28-2020, 01:27 PM

13,080 posts, read 16,282,204 times
it's a disgusting thing to see...and absolutely pathetic when school staff can't even handle a little 6 year old child.
The policeman is a class one a$$$$...don't know how he can sleep at night making little girls and boys cry..terrifying them.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:22 PM

5,160 posts, read 3,199,921 times
I'm going to play devil's advocate:

If YOU were punched and kicked by another adult, would you not want them arrested for assault and battery?

Should it matter that it's a 6 year old who commuted the assault and battery?

The problem today is the "no corporal punishment" policy.

Parents can't and therefore won't punish their kids for wrong doing, even though a single quick slap with HAND ONLY Is allowed on the FLESHY part of the child s bottom.

But kids are taught any punishment can be bad and to call 911 on anyone who punishes them as "child abuse".

The Bible had it right:" spare the rod, spoil the child".

Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 PM

10,253 posts, read 18,145,519 times
Um, yes, it matters a great deal if the person is six years old. Do you honestly think a six year old has the mental capacity of an adult?

Old 02-29-2020, 03:57 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate:

If YOU were punched and kicked by another adult, would you not want them arrested for assault and battery?

Should it matter that it's a 6 year old who commuted the assault and battery?

The problem today is the "no corporal punishment" policy.

Parents can't and therefore won't punish their kids for wrong doing, even though a single quick slap with HAND ONLY Is allowed on the FLESHY part of the child s bottom.

But kids are taught any punishment can be bad and to call 911 on anyone who punishes them as "child abuse".

The Bible had it right:" spare the rod, spoil the child".

That quote is NOT from the Bible

The line is from a very secular poem. There are some verses in the bible that are *close* but they can be interpreted differently as well.

Here's the quote in context:

Quote:
He who spares the rod, hates his son,
but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Ironically, the phrase, as frequently quoted, probably comes from a mock-epic satirical poem written by Samuel Butler between 1663 and 1678-not the Samuel Butler of The Way of All Flesh and Erewhon. Essentially an anti-Puritan tract, Butler's poem, entitled "Hudibras," was patterned after Cervantes's "Don Quixote." The hero, Sir Hudibras, was a hump-backed, pot-bellied, Presbyterian justice with a long, untidy carrot-colored beard. On his half-blind old horse, and with his faithful squire, Ralpho--the English equivalent of Sancho Panza-Sir Hudibras embarked on a crusade to reform England and enforce the laws suppressing sports and other idle amusements.

Butler's burlesque poem portrayed the Puritans as obnoxious nuisances whose hypocrisy and stupidity needed to be exposed. Inadvertently, however, Butter popularized for us, three hundred years later, an aphorism taken literally today by more orthodox descendents of his antipathy.

The tragic scenario and the literary source of this single line comes
not from Proverbs but from a setting which finds Sir Hudibras
imprisoned in stocks. A widow whom he had been wooing visits him and they discuss at length the possibility of matrimony. She offers to free him if he would consent to a whipping such as lovers endure for their ladies, and which serves virtue and corrects the mistakes of nature. She explains:

And I'll admit you to the place
You claim as due in my good grace.
If matrimony and hangings go
By dest'ny, why not whipping too?
What med'cine else can cure the fits
Of lovers when they lose their wits?
Love is a boy by poets styl'd
Then spare the rod, and spoil the child.

Though the meaning is obscure, it is clear that disciplining children
was not being debated but possible escapades between Sir Hudibras and his heroine. Such a questionable and un-biblical context hardly legitimates the use of the phrase as a religious resource, proof-text, or moral guideline for rearing and disciplining children today.

The interpretation of this passage is totally off in terms of spanking
children.
The closest Biblical passage to the above is:

Proverbs 23:13,14 is a commonly cited scripture for the support of corporal punishment. From a historical perspective, King Solomon, author of the book of Proverbs, was recorded as a brutal king who was thirsty for violence and who later opposed the law of God. His sons, who no doubt received corporal punishment, were rebellious,
disrespectful and very aggressive. Given King Solomon's lack of family success, is he a good spiritual role model for parenting? In contrast, Jesus Christ was by far the Bible's most peaceful figure.

There is no scripture in the New Testament in which Jesus advocates for, admonishes or recommends the use of corporal punishment on children. In stark contrast, he stated that people should treat others the way they wish to be treated. That is hardly a support for violence. Citing isolated Biblical scriptures is not an acceptable argument for using corporal punishment on children. Using the same technique of taking ancient, isolated scriptures out of context, one could also justify polygamy, racism, slavery, banishing menstruating women from public and stoning to death of those who have sexual relations outside of marriage. Additionally, there is no evidence that the "rod" of the Bible was anything other than a symbolic metaphor for a shepherd's staff, which was used to lead or guide, not hit, sheep. To take a few isolated scriptures from the Old testament out of context to excuse assaulting children is a gross contradiction of Jesus' message of love, tenderness
and peace.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:20 PM

5,160 posts, read 3,199,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Um, yes, it matters a great deal if the person is six years old. Do you honestly think a six year old has the mental capacity of an adult?

ANY 6 year old in school should know easily by that age...hitting, punching, kicking is choose your word) BAD, WRONG, NOT GOOD, ETC. And that they will get Into trouble for doing those things.

They should also know spitting, biting, stealing etc is ALSO wrong, and that they will get into trouble for doing those things too.

That IS within the capacity of a 6 year old to know at least that little bit of "right and wrong".

My 3 1/2 yr old great nephew this Christmas hit his 5 year old brother because he wanted his 5 year old brother's new toy....my neice asked him sternly " what do we say about hitting some one?"... He answered 'it's wrong' between his sobs over getting caught, and was sent upstairs to the adult bedroom for a time out. ( no toys to amuse himself with)

A 6 year old SHOULD also know to show at LEAST SOME respect for AUTHORITY.

IF a 6 year old DOESN'T know hitting, kicking a STAFF MEMBER at school is Very Wrong, then perhaps the parent or guardian should also be arrested.

I'm not saying a full arrest WITH prosecution is in order, but showing some of these kids breaking laws, no matter how juvenile they may be, may fix some of the problems we as a society have.

She ( the 6 yr old arrested) may never again get into any type of trouble!

Or, she could be a lifelong trouble maker until she winds up permanently in jail or prison.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:14 PM

13,183 posts, read 22,896,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here's a link to a better article. There was a huge thread in current events back when it happened. If I remember correctly, another 6 year old and one 7 year old were arrested that day. The cop was fired. It came out that there were abuse allegations against him with his own child.

Body camera videos show 6-year-old sobbing and pleading with officers during arrest
With the renewed interest the grandmother's go fund me is going up. Back when she started it a week or so after it happened, she only had $150 for the longest time. Now she's at $5,617 raised of $15,000 goal by 208 donors

Old 03-03-2020, 05:12 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
ANY 6 year old in school should know easily by that age...hitting, punching, kicking is choose your word) BAD, WRONG, NOT GOOD, ETC. And that they will get Into trouble for doing those things.

They should also know spitting, biting, stealing etc is ALSO wrong, and that they will get into trouble for doing those things too.

That IS within the capacity of a 6 year old to know at least that little bit of "right and wrong".

My 3 1/2 yr old great nephew this Christmas hit his 5 year old brother because he wanted his 5 year old brother's new toy....my neice asked him sternly " what do we say about hitting some one?"... He answered 'it's wrong' between his sobs over getting caught, and was sent upstairs to the adult bedroom for a time out. ( no toys to amuse himself with)

A 6 year old SHOULD also know to show at LEAST SOME respect for AUTHORITY.

IF a 6 year old DOESN'T know hitting, kicking a STAFF MEMBER at school is Very Wrong, then perhaps the parent or guardian should also be arrested.

I'm not saying a full arrest WITH prosecution is in order, but showing some of these kids breaking laws, no matter how juvenile they may be, may fix some of the problems we as a society have.

She ( the 6 yr old arrested) may never again get into any type of trouble!

Or, she could be a lifelong trouble maker until she winds up permanently in jail or prison.

The AGE APPROPRIATE punishment for a 6 year old hitting is not arrest. Never will be.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 PM

27,728 posts, read 19,588,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The AGE APPROPRIATE punishment for a 6 year old hitting is not arrest. Never will be.
Exactly. Kids lash out at times. I’m ashamed to say I kicked an adult relative as a small child. It was not long after I lost my father and it was more indicative of fear and anger I didn’t know how to handle at that age than me being a future felon. The tantrum was over before cop even arrived, when he zip tied her wrists she was quietly reading a book with a staff member. Good grief some of the posts here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or