U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2020, 12:59 PM

22,598 posts, read 24,276,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
They are comparable because in both cases there is an expectation of privacy. I would agree if done in front of a bunch of people in the store, it would be humiliation... Considering the location, bathroom is probably the most private place easily accessible. Any more privacy would be in the stall itself.. yuk
Clearly this was not a private space or it wouldn't have been recorded and shared online by strangers.

And why pushups? Why in a restroom? The whole thing is odd.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 01:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Clearly this was not a private space or it wouldn't have been recorded and shared online by strangers.

And why pushups? Why in a restroom? The whole thing is odd.
Restroom is a private space. Stranger violated that privacy and that shouldn't be put on the mother. I already posted that the person who took that photo should be ashamed of themselves. Restroom is the easiest accessible private space in a store.

Pushups is a form of discipline and a healthy one at that. It is used in military schools and by athletic coaches. It is very possible the child is an athlete in school and this follows along lines of his coach's disciplinary program. My son's Renshi has a similar program n place for my elder son who has been enrolled in the local Karate dojo since he was a toddler. He works with parents outside of the dojo on all things related to children and discipline. Every parent works with him on different approaches.. much involves physical exercises.

Discipline consistently (in and out of dojo) and in timely manner.

Last edited by usayit; 03-01-2020 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 02:01 PM

22,598 posts, read 24,276,471 times
We'll have to agree to disagree on the appropriateness of this approach in this venue.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:23 PM

48,503 posts, read 46,763,528 times
Quote:
Then we disagree on what is considered "mighty stressful situations"...
I really don’t know what you’re arguing. The mother in the photo created this situation.

I didn’t let toddler twins run free in stores. They went in either a stroller or a shopping cart or they didn’t go.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 23 days ago)

1,057 posts, read 362,907 times
I make.my 5 year old do "wall sits" as punishment. He knows right from wrong and it sure beats hitting him. And it hasnt hurt him yet. I have no issue with this, except maybe a 10 year old being a bit old in the womens room

Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 PM

1,481 posts, read 976,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

If I walked in a store bathroom and saw this, the LAST thing I would think would be, "Good for her." I don't understand why she's holding the younger child like a bag of potatoes. And he looks like a white child. So this other woman walks in and decides to start recording??? Social media has really screwed up people's instincts.

Regardless of what the kid is diagnosed with, if you're resorting to this, y'all all need to just go home and start over.
I hate the recording the kids punishments for the whole world to see, not against discipline, but not humiliating a child.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I really don’t know what you’re arguing. The mother in the photo created this situation.

I didn’t let toddler twins run free in stores. They went in either a stroller or a shopping cart or they didn’t go.
Of course I don't let them run free..

Well one thing is for sure.... they learned very quickly to stay by my side. You can use a stroller as crutch.. that's your choice. Not everyone chooses to cage them in a stroller because you don't want to deal with it.

The same goes for parents that use ipad/tablets as a crutch because they don't want to deal with it.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 625,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's gross to do in the bathroom.

I'm old school, though. If you're going to discipline your child, wait until you get home. They'll have the waiting and anticipation on top of the punishment itself.

Most of the time when I see a parent yelling at their kid in public, it's the parent's fault, not the kid's fault. Don't take your kid shopping when they're hungry, tired, etc. Don't let them run wild and only intervene when an employee says something. Don't be so busy with your phone that you're ignoring your child.
Mom is that you?

Old 03-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on the appropriateness of this approach in this venue.
Sure.. funny how you haven't offered alternative suggestions.. just judgements.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:56 PM

7,825 posts, read 3,775,271 times
Quote:
Sure.. funny how you haven't offered alternative suggestions.. just judgements.
It's not her kid to offer an alternative. Fair enough?

This thread allows for humanity to have it's say on this punishment. And not have to give a parent lesson.
If I disagree with this style it's because I know better then to treat a loved one in a demeaning way.

When you know better, you do better. And I didn't have to do push-ups to learn that lesson. Fwiw,punishment is not discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or