Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:03 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Wow... I thought men's bathrooms could be bad from guys' lack of aim. However, from several posts in this thread it sounds like women's bathrooms are much worse. Somehow women manage to get pee beyond the toilet, passed/over the stall door, and several feet to the far side of the wall.

No way I could win that contest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
At least he didn't eat her cake. Could have been worse.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020...while-camping/

Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
bathroom floor is a little much. I would like to send the mom a text to make him do burpees, a pilates pose or planks instead. Strengthen that core sonny.

He's right by the sink. When he's done doing pushups, he can jump up and wash his hands. Not a big deal.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I dont think it was humiliating because they were in a secluded place with a presumption of privacy not in the middle of the store. She wasnt making a spectacle of him. She was not hurting him or using pyshical force, his only complaint was that the floor was gross. Its not about "living through it". He is absolutely old enough to know that talking back=pushups. So now, pushups. Next time dont talk back. Simple.

10 pushups in a bathroom at a store isnt hurting him and its not teaching him fear. Its annoying to him and hes learning how to avoid doing it.
About the bolded - taking a 10 year old boy into the women's bathroom is certainly an attempt to humiliate. He's way too old to be in there.

And the second bit - teaching a kid to avoid punishment is the weakest and laziest of parenting methods. People (and animals for that matter) learn best when they are taught what they should do, not how to avoid punishment.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,243,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
About the bolded - taking a 10 year old boy into the women's bathroom is certainly an attempt to humiliate. He's way too old to be in there.

And the second bit - teaching a kid to avoid punishment is the weakest and laziest of parenting methods. People (and animals for that matter) learn best when they are taught what they should do, not how to avoid punishment.
Perhaps she has never NOT taken him into the womens room. I wouldnt take my 10 year old in there but maybe she regularly does in which case it wasnt meant to humiliate him but was just regular practice.

Discipline is teaching right from wrong and self control and how to make good decisions. Sometimes after youve TRIED to teach him not to talk back over and over then you have no choice but to teach him that doing the action has a consequence. Punishment is a deterrent. If positive reinforcement works only for so long and your child is not getting it then they learn the consequence.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
10 year old boys do not belong in the ladies room.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:57 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for her.

It's no secret many 'parents' these days are lax on discipline and let their bratty kids do and say what they want, creating future generations of entitled narcissists.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/us/ho...rnd/index.html

My best friend used to have her kids do this, albeit not in public places. It really was a good method, because it pretty much stopped the tantrum and used that energy in a better way. Once when they were visiting me (they live in another state) the 6 year old was acting up, and she did the "drop and give me 20" which he was used to by then. He was so obstinate he kept stopping at 18 and arguing with her again, and she'd make him start all over. I think he did about 50 before he completed one set of 20, lol. Sometimes she'd have them run around the house a time or two, as well. She was and is very into health, so for her and her husband it served both to keep them in shape and to channel that angry energy into exercise. By the time they were done they were all fine and happy again. And now as teens they are great kids, so it certainly didn't seem to do them any harm. A bathroom is quite another thing though, and doing it in public is quite another thing.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post

I really don't think it is. I see many moms do this, but no one is fighting or angry. It's that parents are scared to leave a child alone while they take another child into the restroom, and scared to let them go alone into a men's room. With my bff, I could see her fight panic when her son was alone in a men's room and seemed to be taking a long time. I think it's weird too, but in today's times I understand it too. I honestly don't see it at all as an attempt to humiliate.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I really don't think it is. I see many moms do this, but no one is fighting or angry. It's that parents are scared to leave a child alone while they take another child into the restroom, and scared to let them go alone into a men's room. With my bff, I could see her fight panic when her son was alone in a men's room and seemed to be taking a long time. I think it's weird too, but in today's times I understand it too. I honestly don't see it at all as an attempt to humiliate.
It is inconsiderate of women in the restroom though.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It is inconsiderate of women in the restroom though.

I know, I don't like it either, but when you look at things like that poor little girl Faye Swetlick, snatched or lured from her own front yard, I can understand why a mom would be fearful to leave a child by himself somewhere while she took little sister to the bathroom. If you remember the kidnapping and murder of Adam Walsh, whose dad ended up creating the center for missing children, he was snatched from a department store with both parents in the store with him, it happened in a split second that they weren't looking.

This is why they need to have those "Family" bathrooms everywhere. I think men are in an even worse position, when they are out with their little daughters. They really can't take the child into the men's or ladies room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting