U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 03-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
684 posts, read 1,869,873 times
Reputation: 817



I hope all of you are doing well.

My wife and I are wanting to get some legal documentation completed in order to make sure that our child will go to a certain family member in the case that something happens to us and we are either deceased or can't care for her.

Do any of you know the specific type of legal forms that would need to be completed for this?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Location: Wisconsin
18,463 posts, read 19,228,723 times
Reputation: 46312
We put it in our wills and told all of the family members in advance so that there would not be any confusion or fighting. If you are concerned about arguments or disputes after your death please see an attorney to make sure that it is done correctly in your state. Also, make sure that you have enough assets or life insurance to support your child after your death (you don't want to cause any financial hardships for the new guardians).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Location: Bloomington IN
6,992 posts, read 8,563,344 times
Reputation: 17435
This was part of our wills. We asked the people before we did this of course and let them know our children would be provided for financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 10:35 AM
8,620 posts, read 5,233,713 times
Reputation: 22722
It's worth setting up a will and trust (not just a will) to ensure that your child's guardian is legally appointed and that she will be financially provided for with a minimum of hassle and expense. When we did this, it involved two hour-long meetings with an attorney; the first to express our wishes and the second to sign papers. He took care of everything else, it really couldn't have been easier and we had peace of mind knowing everything had been done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,275 posts, read 16,930,698 times
Reputation: 39915
See an attorney and write wills.

Make sure the person you select is fine with the possible responsibility.

This is too important to do haphazardly. You do not kniw what you do not know about your state laws. See an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top