U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:41 PM

9,642 posts, read 7,214,055 times

Advertisements

They’re the schools rules and if the school is letting him slide then the school doesn’t care. I went to a school with similar dress code (no blazer) and they were lax if everything was there and you looked the part of a private high school pupil and weren’t disruptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 08:49 PM

9 posts, read 3,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Sounds like the father of this kid is a lost cause.
Oh trust me, his father has talked to him.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 9,446,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If he's a good kid consider rewarding him for, say, a month or semester of good behavior.

A cool trip, 1/8th of a car, a tattoo
Mercy. Autocorrect is a beast. I corrected my post. Mods, you're welcome to change the original.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:57 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,743,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've worked as a teacher in a private school with uniforms. I can almost guarantee that the teachers and administrators will remind him of tucking his shirt in, the hair, etc. Let it be.

Does he receive any type of discipline at school for the hair or multiple uniform violations? It might sound harsh, but if so, let it happen. Nagging him about his shirt and hair isn't having an effect. Maybe a school consequence would.
THIS!! He is at the belligerent age for boys. If he likes the school and wants to keep attending, then he'll smarten up on his own when the principal gets involved.

If he'd rather go to a non-private school, he is trying to establish that in a round-about way.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:17 AM

5,627 posts, read 2,463,688 times
Quote:
Mercy. Autocorrect is a beast. I corrected my post. Mods, you're welcome to change the original.
I was going to say, good thing this has become a zombie apocalypse thread out of nowhere.

Usually in stricter schools, they will make it clear that the kids need to follow uniform rules. While I haven’t worked in a private school, I worked in schools in Japan and in many cases they would check at set times instead of just all the time. Typically everyone would always be reminded to tuck their shirts in, wear a belt, etc. Hair length would be discussed as needed, and they usually had a few “greeting days” each year where the specific stated purpose was to ensure compliance with the dress code when they saw that too many kids were getting lax with it. They would meet everyone at the entrance and check the kids at they came in to ensure the hair was the right length, not colored, skirts were not too short, shirts were tucked in, etc. I’m sure kids with hair that was too long got a note home that they needed to have kit cut ASAP.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 AM

2,301 posts, read 749,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv0065 View Post
He’s fourteen. I guess I should have been more clear. I take him to the barber but he keeps coming up with reasons why he can’t go or asking to go another week. I don’t want to drag him there!
If you can't control him at fourteen - what are you going to do when he is 18 and has a driver's license?

You are his parents. You provide him with a home, clothing and private school tuition. He owe you respect.

My son attended an all boys private school with strict uniform code. After school, I watched the boys leave and many were untucked. I don't know if they were untucked during class - I doubt it - but they were untucked coming out. Haircuts were pretty much were as specified in the handbook.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-05-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 08:47 AM

4,780 posts, read 2,162,628 times
Quote:
I liked the original, "If he's a good kid consider eating him for, say, a month or semester of good behavior." A kid that good, you don't eat all at once.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,721,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv0065 View Post
My son goes to a school that has a fairly strict uniform...blazer/tie/slacks/dress shoes everyday. Every morning it seems I have having to tell him tuck in his shirt or tighten/straighten his tie before he goes in. He constantly grumbles about it, and then when I pick him up it’s all untucked again.

The school also has rules regarding his hair he’s not following. The school says it has to be short...off of collar/off of ears/out of eyes. He’s always been pretty good about going to the barber, but lately he keeps putting it off and coming up with excuses. His hair is definitely out of dress code by now.

How do I get him to follow these rules? I know it’s strict but he needs to know the rules also apply to him? I see all the other students in the morning and they seem to have no problem tucking in shirts/getting haircuts.

I have to ask you, who is the parent here, him or you ? YOU set the rules, and you are the one who should be coming down on him for not doing what he is supposed to be doing. You should only have to speak once.

"Spare the rod, and all of that stuff" never rings more true than today. Every day I see examples of weak parenting, and those parents are going to pay the price someday.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,007,182 times
Why is their a rule about hair length for boys? Public schools are really like prisons these days.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 PM

62,544 posts, read 59,428,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You're a parent, it's your job to be the bad guy until they can police themselves.

...says the woman without kids
I remember telling my young-teen daughter, "All teenagers want to hate their parents. It's my job to give you a reason to do so."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or