U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 PM

62,544 posts, read 59,428,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Why is their a rule about hair length for boys? Public schools are really like prisons these days.
It's obviously a private school.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:50 PM

17,761 posts, read 21,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv0065 View Post
He’s fourteen. I guess I should have been more clear. I take him to the barber but he keeps coming up with reasons why he can’t go or asking to go another week. I don’t want to drag him there!
Whose the parent and whose the child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 01:51 PM

17,761 posts, read 21,866,277 times
Quote:
Yeah. I guess I was trying not to be the bad guy here...if it wasn’t for school I would have no problem having him grow his hair out. But he also needs to follow the rules. He’s a well behaved kid so I’ll just say we are going to the barber today and that will be it.
Well you better start learning sometimes you have to be the "bad guy". It's called being a parent.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:46 PM

10,983 posts, read 9,154,620 times
Remind him that when summer comes, he can grow his hair out as long as he likes (and is physically possible) - but a haircut will be a mandatory part of his back-to-school routine. School year=short hair, summer vacation=let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Of course, longish hair will be hotter and more uncomfortable in the summer, but if he will put up with being hot in order to be cool - his choice. At least during the summer.

Unless he will be in summer school...

Old 03-05-2020, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 3,914 times
Wow I didn’t know this would take off!

Well as an update I talked to him. I told him that what he did at school was up to him, when he was around me he needed to wear his uniform properly. From breakfast (he’s suppose to have his uniform on by then) to when he gets out of the car. That includes tie snug and shirt tucked in. What he does after that is up to him. He said that the tie was uncomfortable. I don’t know if there is much credence to that? all the other kids seem to have no problem. This morning we had no problems. Shirt tucked, tie tied. Seemed fine.

I took him to the barber after school. He didnt complain, I think he knew his hair was too long.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 3,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Remind him that when summer comes, he can grow his hair out as long as he likes (and is physically possible) - but a haircut will be a mandatory part of his back-to-school routine. School year=short hair, summer vacation=let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Of course, longish hair will be hotter and more uncomfortable in the summer, but if he will put up with being hot in order to be cool - his choice. At least during the summer.

Unless he will be in summer school...
Yup! I told him he can grow it out in the summer!

Old 03-05-2020, 05:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 749,855 times
Quote:

Well as an update I talked to him. I told him that what he did at school was up to him, when he was around me he needed to wear his uniform properly. From breakfast (he’s suppose to have his uniform on by then) to when he gets out of the car. That includes tie snug and shirt tucked in. What he does after that is up to him. He said that the tie was uncomfortable. I don’t know if there is much credence to that? all the other kids seem to have no problem. This morning we had no problems. Shirt tucked, tie tied. Seemed fine.

I took him to the barber after school. He didnt complain, I think he knew his hair was too long.
Two Thumbs up for Mom!

Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 PM

19,629 posts, read 12,716,287 times
Quote:

Good start ! Kids forget that we support them financially, and some parents forget that too. When they turn 21 and have a good job, they can do whatever they please, but up until that point, we have to be in control.

Kids are smart and look for ways to get around us, we just have to be firm and smarter than they are.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:07 PM

21,922 posts, read 12,482,532 times
Quote:
Yeah. I guess I was trying not to be the bad guy here...if it wasn’t for school I would have no problem having him grow his hair out. But he also needs to follow the rules. He’s a well behaved kid so I’ll just say we are going to the barber today and that will be it.

You're not his friend, you're his parent.

It's your job to be the bad guy until he learns why he needs to be his own bad guy...which may be another 10 or 15 years at this rate.

(Says the old man with two successful adult children).

Old 03-05-2020, 09:09 PM

21,922 posts, read 12,482,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've worked as a teacher in a private school with uniforms. I can almost guarantee that the teachers and administrators will remind him of tucking his shirt in, the hair, etc. Let it be.

Does he receive any type of discipline at school for the hair or multiple uniform violations? It might sound harsh, but if so, let it happen. Nagging him about his shirt and hair isn't having an effect. Maybe a school consequence would.

One problem is that schools often "handle problems within the walls" until the last straw, then the parent is suddenly faced with a suspension or expulsion notice without even knowing there had been a ongoing problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or