U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 03:54 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,605,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-defeat-virus/

If true, would there really be any reason to cancel school for kids this year?

The article says nothing about kids not getting the Coronavirus. Where did you get that from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 PM
Status: "For the night is dark and full of terrors" (set 16 days ago)

17,625 posts, read 8,302,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
From what I've read, kids are likely to have much milder symptoms but still be able to infect others.

Preventing large gatherings is supposed to be the best way to slow the spread of the virus, and school is a daily large gathering of people who may not have developed the best hygiene habits yet, so it makes sense to cancel school in affected areas.
That is the key behind school closings. I've told my youngest sister (not a kid, but a teen in college, whose school just moved to online instruction) to limit her out of house activities as our parents are still older and at higher risk for serious complications if they come into contact with the virus.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 PM

4,733 posts, read 2,365,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The article says nothing about kids not getting the Coronavirus. Where did you get that from?
I found one article that mentioned kids at the end, but it’s in the context of mortality rate, not that they can’t get it. The sample was from China.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...7-35CBCDC8E222

“The sample’s overall case-fatality rate was 2.3%, in line with the earlier global estimates for the virus. No deaths occurred in those aged 9 years and younger, but cases in those aged 70 to 79 years had an 8% fatality rate and those aged 80 years and older had a fatality rate of 14.8%.

No deaths were reported among mild and severe cases. The fatality rate was 49% among critical cases, and elevated among those with preexisting conditions: 10.5% for people with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for diabetes, 6.3% for chronic respiratory disease, 6% for hypertension, and 5.6% for cancer.”

Old 03-12-2020, 11:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 301,913 times
Quote:

Again you are missing the whole point. This virus is not about YOU getting it, or children getting it. It's about them possibly infecting others, mainly old people.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:22 PM

1,162 posts, read 301,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So that politicians and others can appear to be "doing something."
They should be doing something... months ago!

Old 03-12-2020, 11:46 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,975,319 times
Quote:

It might have to do with teachers getting sick and staying home as well as the fact that the kids transmit the virus even when they don't show symptoms.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:15 AM

6,073 posts, read 7,211,255 times
Kids can absolutely get it. Where do you see that they can't? Their symptoms are usually just much milder, but they are every bit as contagious as someone with more severe symptoms.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 AM

9,514 posts, read 15,552,762 times
Kids mostly being "carriers" actually makes more of a reason to close schools. If they show no symptoms but can pass it on to the teachers (especially the older ones who are more likely to get very sick) that is a bigger problem than if they are home sick.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:39 AM

649 posts, read 576,737 times
I feel like school closings are taking what is already a petri dish and launching it into the community. So now, for 3 weeks, my son will be 6’ or closer to many many more adults than than he would normally be. I happen to work from home and my child is older so this closing is not such a hardship for my family, but many many families will be forced to rely on GRANDPARENTS and other non-working family members for child care, thus repeatedly exposing this elderly population to a disease vector that they would normally only have a limited exposure to.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:13 AM

24,069 posts, read 20,592,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Kids ARE getting COVID 19, but they don't get AS sick as the other end of the age spectrum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Kids can absolutely get it. Where do you see that they can't? Their symptoms are usually just much milder, but they are every bit as contagious as someone with more severe symptoms.
Correct, kids CAN get the virus but have better immune systems to combat it. A 3 year old in NY has it along with her parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or