U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 08:21 AM

36 posts, read 13,762 times

Advertisements

The main concern is slowing the spread. If we overwhelm hospitals then some people that are in critical condition will not be able to get treated. But if we slow the spread, then we can spread the load on healthcare services over a longer period of time and literally save lives. The key is not necessarily preventing infection but slowing it. I see many parents going the daycare route during school closures. Hopefully people will self isolate as much as possible as I plan to do. This is about saving lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 12:22 PM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCadet View Post
The main concern is slowing the spread. If we overwhelm hospitals then some people that are in critical condition will not be able to get treated. But if we slow the spread, then we can spread the load on healthcare services over a longer period of time and literally save lives. The key is not necessarily preventing infection but slowing it. I see many parents going the daycare route during school closures. Hopefully people will self isolate as much as possible as I plan to do. This is about saving lives.
When they close my sons school, which they will as he isnt in school today so they can prepare for distance learning, he will be going to daycare until the daycare closes too. I would love to be at home distancing myself. But until i am forced too, I simply cannot afford not to work.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:12 PM

5,577 posts, read 3,033,276 times
Quote:
Yes, this is one of the main concerns. By slowing the spread, not only might there be beds in hospitals, but hopefully we'll get more test kits as time goes by and more people will be tested, because the U.S. is WAY BEHIND other countries in getting tests out to healthcare providers, thus the tests are severely rationed. Even sick people with likely COVID-19 are mostly not getting tested.

As recently as yesterday, and it is likely still true, tests are only being offered to people who not only have symptoms (main serious symptom is shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, even more than fever and cough), but have been to one of several other countries (like China, Italy, Korea, etc.) or live with someone who did. The virus is out in American communities NOW, but we don't have enough test kits for symptomatic Americans to be tested. Numerous healthcare websites are even suggesting that people just assume that they have COVID-19, and not to get tested at all. (Of course, then the statistics about how many cases there actually are will be inaccurate.) If a person has severe difficulty breathing, they should not have to stay home, as there

One American who returned recently from a highly infected country, Italy, was not even tested (and no temperature even taken) upon return at the U.S. airport. He was shocked that he got just the standard "Welcome home."

Old 03-13-2020, 07:22 PM

7,799 posts, read 3,758,747 times
1st confirmed child case one county over from where I reside. Both parents and child are being quarantined. The father was the carrier as he traveled for business.

Kids are not immune to this virus.

Keep them safe. Having them playing with other kids only exposes further contracting. Kids aren't going to be diligent in sanitizing and health methods. It's up to the adults to curtail this.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:40 PM

326 posts, read 87,386 times
Kids get it, just not as bad. They can bring it home to parents, grandparents, etc and spread it more: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ldren-faq.html

Quote:
Based on available evidence, children do not appear to be at higher risk for COVID-19 than adults. While some children and infants have been sick with COVID-19, adults make up most of the known cases to date.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:25 PM

7,750 posts, read 2,585,769 times
3 of the new cases in Rhode Island are kids. That's 3 out of 14 total.

The Governor shut down all public schools.

One is in daycare, another is in 2nd grade, and one is in high school.

One of the younger kids went to a Boston Celtics basketball game and apparently got the virus when getting an autograph from one of the Utah Jazz players that tested positive for coronavirus.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:37 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,065,258 times
Quote:
Yeah, containment is impossible at this point, you would of had to seal off the entire country (air/land/sea) months ago and not let anybody into or out of the country back in January, and even then it was probably too late. Then you would of had to keep it like that probably until next January or longer!

Assume the virus is everywhere at this point, don't panic, but wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth, and avoid people as much as you can. It's now all about delaying everyone getting it at the same time, as to not overwhelm the healthcare system. If we can at least stagger the infections, we have a much better chance of keeping our death rate low.

It's basically not a matter of if you will get it, but a matter of when, stay strong!

Old 03-14-2020, 08:04 AM

20,705 posts, read 23,036,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-defeat-virus/

If true, would there really be any reason to cancel school for kids this year?
Yes. They can be carriers. You absolutely need to stop schools. Imo we should be stopping everything but the essential stuff. Just from what’s happening now the economic impact will be huge.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:17 AM
Status: "Now called "Covid Denier" and proud of it. I will not panic!" (set 15 days ago)

19,506 posts, read 7,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Kids can absolutely get it. Where do you see that they can't? Their symptoms are usually just much milder, but they are every bit as contagious as someone with more severe symptoms.
In other words they have a cold.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,035,234 times
Yay! Data!
Here's a study of about 2000 cases of hospitalized COVID-19 pediatric cases from China.
https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...-0702.full.pdf
I'll unpack it briefly, but suggest everyone read.
Good news: Mortality rate is extremely low in children. Much lower than seasonal influenza. Most cases are mild-to-moderate (no intervention necessary) and there are probably a whole slew of asymptomatic cases, therefore even the severe/critical/fatal case percentages are skewed higher. Even China can't test everyone, so we still don't have a handle on how many COVID-19 cases are asymptomatic and whether children tend to present symptoms less than adults. It is likely this is the case, but we won't know for sure until we test everyone (if that ever happens).

Mortality rate:
0.05% to 0% of confirmed COVID-19 cases
1 14-year-old died, but it was not clear whether it was a confirmed or suspected case.

Bad news: Severe/Critical cases are low, but do exist:
3.1% of confirmed COVID-19 cases.
Unfortunately, the study doesn't indicate what percentage of the 2100 cases were hospitalizations and which were simply pediatric visits. They use the language "pediatric patients" but some cases were asymptomatic, so I would assume this data covers everything from pediatric visits to hospitalizations, because you wouldn't hospitalize an asymptomatic patient.

More bad news: Infants and toddlers had a higher rate of severe/critical cases. However, because the research doesn't separate confirmed and suspected cases by severity and age group, I can't tease out the % of confirmed cases. General rates are higher in suspected cases, indicating some contamination of the data with other diseases. In suspected and confirmed cases, the severe/critical cases were around 10% for infants and 7% for young children.

So children can have severe symptoms. This study confirms that it is much less impactful in children, than adults. While the mortality rate of COVID-19 in children is far below that of influenza, the number of serious and critical cases may be as high or higher.

So, my PERSONAL takeaway from this study is that elevated precations for children, mostly because of their ability to transmit it to caregivers, but also because of the chance of a severe case, are a good idea. At the same time, caregivers should take much more stringent actions to protect their own health. So, I still maintain that putting a child (especially a school-age child, since this group seemed most resiliant) in a group setting is preferable to exposing an elderly or at-risk person to that child. In other words, a day-care or collective child-watch by a young adult is preferable to asking grandma to come out of self-isolation to watch the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or