U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 02:25 PM

7,360 posts, read 4,089,891 times

Advertisements

Grandsons school district (LI) has been shut down because of Corona positive staff case. SIL is a NYC HS Public School Teacher. His school has not been shut down, and he teaches night classes to make ends meet. Daughter is now a stay a home Mom who was fired as a Teacher after only 3 years. They are now 3 months away from foreclosure and in a very messy divorce.

Daughter is now home with both boys. Younger child is diagnosed on Autism Spectrum and receives special services in Pre-School. Granny is very worried. I worked as a Special Ed TA for many years.

Younger grandson has been diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum and is receiving services in Pre-K. I am scared. Daughter just SCREAMS at him when he does not do what she wants. So now she is alone with him? I am a Retired Special Ed TA, and have TRIED to counsel her on how to work with him. She totally ignores me and say I don't know what I am talking about. Boy is totally different around his Dad who is so calm with him. He wards off many a meltdown just from his own personality and years of being around TEENAGERS.

My question here is will Grandson be able to get professional services at home while the school is closed with coronavirus? Online teaching isn't going to work with these special needs kids. I almost hope SIL's school is closed so he can be home with his son. Grandma is 71 and does not live in the same state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or