U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 02:02 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,041,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Last I checked 'all humans' are suspectable to this virus. Children are not immune to this nor are 'all' children resilient to beat this virus. It's rather ignorant to subject them to other carriers. I do not consider it an exception to allow daycares to stay open. No way I want my grand kids to be open targets to receiving it.
My boss has two kids, we are already setting up nanny to privately attend to them. So he can do his job. The less contact with others during this time...the better.

The 'undue hardship' would be visiting your kid on a ventilator. Think about that next time before engaging a flippant statement
You may not mean to, but you are scaremongering.

COVID-19 is a crisis. It is bad and we should all take sensible precautions. Isolating your children for their sake is not one of them. It is more reasonable to isolate your children from other children for your own sake, as the known mortality rate for adults is about 10X that of influenza. (0.2% vs 0.01%, though it is likely lower due to underreporting) For children under age 9, the known mortality rate is zero (0% vs 0.01%).

The youngest known victim in Europe is 21 years old. Chinese data, while unreliable, indicates a 0% fatality rate for those under 9 years old, and that is being substantiated by data from countries with more open press.

Isolating your children (from a daycare) is sensible, if you can afford it. One less disease vector for you. Your rich boss is doing the right thing. Unfortunately, very few people can afford a private nanny, or even to have one parent take 2 months off (because that is the minimum duration of this pandemic) to care for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 06:51 PM

5,590 posts, read 3,042,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

COVID-19 is a crisis. It is bad and we should all take sensible precautions. Isolating your children for their sake is not one of them. It is more reasonable to isolate your children from other children for your own sake, as the known mortality rate for adults is about 10X that of influenza. (0.2% vs 0.01%, though it is likely lower due to underreporting) For children under age 9, the known mortality rate is zero (0% vs 0.01%).

The youngest known victim in Europe is 21 years old. Chinese data, while unreliable, indicates a 0% fatality rate for those under 9 years old, and that is being substantiated by data from countries with more open press.

Isolating your children (from a daycare) is sensible, if you can afford it. One less disease vector for you. Your rich boss is doing the right thing. Unfortunately, very few people can afford a private nanny, or even to have one parent take 2 months off (because that is the minimum duration of this pandemic) to care for their children.
Precisely. As people age, their immune system is far less effective at combating viruses. It is a part of the aging process, and even "healthier" older people who do not have chronic illness have an immune system that gets progressively less efficient as the years go by.

This new virus is significantly deadlier for the older population, not for young people.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:57 PM

11,575 posts, read 4,652,525 times
Quote:
TLDR; No. We should keep kids away from at-risk people, not other children.

We are lucky enough to have a SAHP, so it's not an issue for us.

I would not keep my kids out of daycare if it caused undue hardship. Instead, we would and are keeping our children away from at-risk groups like those over 50, and the adult public in general.

No one under 9 has died from COVID-19, and an infintesimally small % of the pediatric population who contract the disease need hospitalization, so they are no strain on resources. It's actaully LESS dangerous than influenza for children. So--if you can keep them away from at-risk populations--there's no compelling reason to avoid groups of children. In fact, it might be better, overall, for children to contract and develop natural immunity to COVID-19 sooner, rather than later. The faster we exclude them as a source of infection, the better.

In an ideal world, of course, we'd all stay quarantined indoors for 2 months, or until a vaccine was available. Or--better yet--any who is at risk would be quarantined until the virus had burned its way through the younger, healthier, population and was no longer a pandemic.

However, the economic reality is that older and at-risk people still need paychecks. So they have to go to work and expose themselves. The best we can do is to separate the at-risk and not-at-risk populations from each other as much as possible. That means keeping kids away from at-risk adults, but not from each other.
There are several children in Illinois that now have the virus. Children can be carriers and are not immune to this virus! The President just advised to not be in groups of more than 10 people. I understand that people need childcare to work, but I wouldn't be surprised if daycares close soon due to the pandemic. Daycares are known for spreading germs fast anyway. I'd find an individual that would be willing to come to your house.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:03 PM

11,575 posts, read 4,652,525 times
Quote:

All schools in Illinois and most in Indiana are closed. New York is following suit as well as other states. There's a reason for this! There are TWO confirmed cases of young children in Illinois who have now contracted the virus.

BTW..... most nannies/babysitters are cheaper than daycares.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,041,356 times
There's no black-or-white answer other than minimizing ALL contact with elderly people.

If you can find a young, reliable, nanny or babysitter for less than the cost of daycare, by all means, go for it. If your only option is having a 60+ year-old grandparent (who otherwise could isolate themselves) come over and watch your kid, or daycare, go with the daycare.

If you live with older people and can't isolate your children from them, then--I fully agree--you should not have your child in a group environment.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 AM

11,074 posts, read 12,006,076 times
Yup. Both kids are home with us. Our family situation allows for this.

We offered our spot up in day care to someone who actually needs it. First responder, nurse, dr, etc.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 PM

1,878 posts, read 692,769 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you are being exposed. This is exactly the scenario I was talking about. You should be allowed to self-isolate, not forced to interact with disease vectors out of economic necessity. Of course, in the TRILLIONS of dollars that the government is giving away to the 1% of bankers and CEO's, there's not a single red cent for working parents who need to stay home to take care of their out-of-school kids.

Don't you know that LSD is not a cure for the coronavirus?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:49 PM

7,825 posts, read 3,775,271 times
Quote:

I respectfully take umbrage upon your comment of scare mongering. I'm realistic and versed in the seriousness. Sorry that you assumed without thinking on what the reality is for any human contracting this virus. I say this as my neighbor has a four year old. His genetic ailment puts him at risk. He goes to a special day care and they have ceased operation. So if that newsflash is interpreted as 'scare mongering' , maybe you need to re access a realistic rationale mindset.

I don't minimize this outbreak nor am I going to be blind in one eye and can't see out the other when it comes to precautionary methods. Including those from a young age group.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:29 PM

7,553 posts, read 5,110,061 times
My daughter’s daycare in Boston closed as of Friday. Both she and her husband have been sent home to work. No telling how long this will last, but it’s going to be longer than 2 weeks. I’d guess more like 8 weeks. At a minimum.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 4,587,287 times
My kids are working from home and definitely keeping the my grandson home. Kids can and do spread it even if they don't get sick themselves (though some have gotten sick too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or