Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 07:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Yes. Daycares are germ factories so I'm keeping my kids out right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:25 PM

84 posts, read 60,429 times
My kids daycare closed along with the schools, luckily my wife is a teacher so she is home as well. If they hadn't though, I still would have taken him out. With states banning gatherings of more than X amount of people, I'm not sure how much longer daycares will be able to stay open. Kids don't seem to be a susceptible to Carona, but they can still spread it to those who are, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. That said many people just don't have a choice finically, so I'm not sure what will happen if daycares are forced to close.

North Carolina is opening make shift daycares in some of the closed schools for those who need it.

Everyone stay healthy!

Old 03-18-2020, 06:12 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Two of our kids are medical providers. They can't stay home with the kids.

They hired their favorite daycare employees to be with their kids while they work.

These women need an income.

It is costing more than daycare did, but well worth it.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:45 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
A lot of child care places have closed.

For example the countywide Head Start program in my home county has been closed since this past Monday (3/16/20), for at least 2 weeks and that may be extended.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:34 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
If you need childcare, quickly hire the best of the daycare providers. The children will get the individualized attention they can't get in a daycare setting. Plus, when go back, they will be special to those providers.

It will help the providers through a rough financial spot.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Lots of good responses here. You just want to do the right thing.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:15 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Well, my answer is "yes" now, because we're banned from any public gathering. In fact, we're not supposed to let kids play on the outdoor playgrounds now.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Daycares are closed except for essential personnel.

My wife's a teacher so with summer off, we've put in our notice at the day care that we will be withdrawing.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 AM

572 posts, read 325,611 times
Yes. all the children in the neighbourhood, friends and family are not sending their children to day care. Keeping kids indoors inf ront of you is highly recommended.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Last I checked 'all humans' are suspectable to this virus. Children are not immune to this nor are 'all' children resilient to beat this virus. It's rather ignorant to subject them to other carriers. I do not consider it an exception to allow daycares to stay open. No way I want my grand kids to be open targets to receiving it.
My boss has two kids, we are already setting up nanny to privately attend to them. So he can do his job. The less contact with others during this time...the better.

The 'undue hardship' would be visiting your kid on a ventilator. Think about that next time before engaging a flippant statement
All are susceptible but children are as likely to get CV as the flu.
144 children died from the flu this year already. Just "1" 12-year old died from CV in Georgia.

from CDC's website - https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.
(~ I think their data is 1 week old)

Daycares keep their potentially CV carrying kids away from their parents or at-risk grandparents.
A large majority cannot afford a nanny to watch their children so daycare is the best option.

Also, when you force over 100 million people to not work, including low income workers, or lay them off they're not very happy about it. Let's say out of the 100 million 35% are parents. So 35 million working parents to be conservative.

Unfortunately, we already know there's some bad & evil parents out there who abuse their kids. You've seen it on TV news and online. Let's say it's a low number like one-half of 1 percent. That means there's 10-20,000 parents out of that 35 million who are the worst of the worst to their kids. Verbally and physically just mean.

I was told by a mother that daycares and k1-k6 can be sanctuaries for some kids who are not able to protect themselves. There's parents who do drugs, drink alcohol until drunk, their older teen sisters or brothers are on rec. drugs, etc. Plus not all of today's parents watch or interact with their teens much anyway in any of our large to medium-sized cities. Kids under 12 are pretty close to their parents until they become a teen, the age where they are discovering popularity, what's cool, and parents are not cool to their peers. So, out with the parent, and in with the new teen friends.

Parents or the kids are mostly on their smartphones, video games, Netflix or multi-tasking something or have their kids playing with other kids or hanging out with other kids (if a teenager).

Where I am there's kids outside playing until 10pm since they're not in school. Not everyone lives in Mayberry or a 1950's type environment where 95% of parents are their friend. You can bet this will be on a Law & Order SVU episode.

Someone else just informed me the suicide rate spiked during the Great Depression. 40,000 people killed themselves in 1937. Shutting down the economy will KILL people. Some adults with families just don't want to live in mediocrity. The govt;. closing their business and no return date does just that. I recall the suicides during 2009 of a few families California.

$1,000 checks sent out 1-2x does not help the people who make $10-$20k a month and have employees and debts. The govt. will miss certain segments of the population.

Last edited by frankrj; 03-24-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting